[Official] Community Fly-In Friday: Greece

We will be hosting an Official Fly-in alongside a group of community members (you!) on Twitch. This is an open event, free to all who would like to fly along with us and available to pilots of all skill levels. The goal is to have a great time, explore new locations of the world, and make new friends. This event is open to pilots on both the PC and Xbox platforms.

Hosted by @SeedyL3205, @Jummivana, @Pieter2427, and @simtom2

When: Friday, March 24 @ 1900Z for two hours.
Where: The Official Twitch Channel of MSFS

There will also be a Discord event channel open for those who want to voice chat with other members of the community.

Please see below for details on the upcoming Fly-In Event:

FLIGHT DETAILS

For Greeks :greece:, March 25 is the Celebration of the Greek Revolution, a public holiday commemorating the beginning of Greece gaining independence from the Ottoman Empire in 1821. For Fly-In Friday this week, we will be enjoying a beautiful and scenic flight over Greece, starting from the capital city of Athens where we will see globally-famous landmarks like the Acropolis and the original 1896 Olympic Stadium then onwards to Megara and Agrinio for touch & go landings before turning southbound and flying across the Peloponnese peninsula towards our full-stop at Kalamata.

Pilots on PC can download the .pln file below:
2021-03-24 Greece.PLN (3.2 KB)

We will be starting at LGAV. Please load your aircraft 10 minutes prior to take off and taxi over to the runway in preparation for departure.

AIRCRAFT

Recommended aircraft: Cessna 172, CubCrafters X or NX Cub, Flight Design CTSL, Pipistrel Virus, or any aircraft of your choice that can maintain a cruise speed greater than 120 knots. Highly recommended to use a blue and white livery to celebrate Greece. :greece:

MULTIPLAYER SETTINGS

Please adhere to the following settings so you can see everyone / be seen by everyone.

Variable Setting
Server SE Asia
Multiplayer All Players
Live traffic As preferred
Weather Few Clouds
Time of Day Daytime

It is advised in this flight to turn off both aircraft collisions and terrain collisions. If you do crash, you can use “slew” mode to join the pack. If the pack will be too scattered before the first stop, we will use slew on a defined point to regroup.

COMMUNICATION

To communicate with others, a voice channel on the "Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Discord” at https://discord.gg/msfs will be available to join.

LET’S FLY

This is meant to be a fun and informal flight. Everybody is welcome, no matter the amount of experience.

4 Likes

When will fly-in in Ukraine?

Are aircraft collisions when the plane hits the ground or when it hit another plane?

Good morning. Here is a screen snip of the flight plan detail from Little Navmap to help Xbox users with the waypoints:

Select the departure and arrival airports then add the points between. The Custom waypoint is between Corinth and Isthmia, but not a POI on the World Map.

Happy flying.

5 Likes

[2021-03-24 Greece.PLN]

It seems that the file name is 2021 from the last time. It’s a mistake in 2023, isn’t it?

There is an automatic calculation done above (top of this thread) that states the time would be 21:00 MEZ … however 19 Zulu is 20:00 MEZ :thinking:

1 Like

There is an issue with the forum software (not something we can fix ourselves until there is an update from the company that makes the software) that is currently incorrectly displaying the local time for some locations. This is because some parts of the world recently switched to Daylight Saving Time but other regions have not. The time listed in UTC (1900Z) is correct for all time zones. If you need to convert UTC to your local time zone, you can use sites like this one:

Thanks,
MSFS Team

3 Likes

Speaking as a programmer, dates are hard. And I’m not being sarcastic. :neutral_face:

1 Like

I chose a different airplane than recommended/suggested.
I also was kinda asleep at the helm at the start if you watch it when it got close to the first POI (Acropolis of Athens) you can see I made a slight detour to get to it rather than the typical straight line since I didn’t have enough altitude to clear the mountains.

2 Likes

Here’s a fun fact: On its final leg, right before arriving in Kalamata, the flight will take us over the Lykaeon mountain range, where, according to the ancient Greek historian Pausanias, it was the birthplace of Zeus.

There, on the Kriteas summit, Zeus’ mother Rhea took him and hid him to save him from his devouring father Kronos (Saturn). Because the summit was rocky and dry, the Nymph Neda stroke the ground and a river started flowing, which took the Nymph’s name and is still flowing to this day, the Neda River.

In honor of Zeus, the locals there established the first ancient athletic games, the Lykaea, taking place every 4 years and in fact were the predecessor of the famous Olympic Games.

Right after flying over Mount Lykaeon, the descent for LGKL begins.

Happy flights everyone!

4 Likes

Really interesting, thanks! :clap:

1 Like

Just imported the .pln into Navigraph on my PC and still getting that glitch where some of the waypoints don’t show up, was there a solution for this yet or is it still a “fix” in progress by the powers that be?

I tried the same. It works fine in LNM, but if you import it into Charts, some waypoints get missed. If however you go to the very top right, end press the “Edit” button, you can paste the route into Charts.

First, get the route description from LNM:

Now paste this into Charts:

Even here you can see some waypoints missing, the one before LGMG, and LGAG itself:

LGAG is military, so that may be why it doesn’t appear in Charts.

Try pasting this instead:

LGAV 3758N02344E LGMG 3756N02259E 3836N02121E LGRX LGKL

1 Like

3 Likes

It was a nice flight!

4 Likes

Thanks for the reply, I installed LNM a while back but haven’t really had a need to use it, maybe I’ll give this it a try next time. Hopefully Navigraph sorts this out, assuming it’s their bug.

Hello from Peru.
Thanks for posting this. I couldn’t join in time because I was at work. But I did follow the flight plan in a Cessna 172, as soon as I got back home.
I captured a clip when I reached the Acropolis and a still frame when I landed at Kalamata.
By the way, with this flight, I reached my 100 hour milestone. :sunglasses:

2 Likes