[OFFICIAL] Community Fly-In Friday: Kuala Lumpur to Singapore

Kuala Lumpur’s Petronas Towers in Microsoft Flight Simulator

We will be hosting an Official Fly-in alongside a group of community members (you!) on Twitch. This is an open event, free to all who would like to fly along with us and available to pilots of all skill levels. The goal is to have a great time, explore new locations of the world, and make new friends. This event is open to pilots on both the PC and Xbox platforms.

Hosted by @SeedyL3205, @Jummivana, @Pieter1982NL, and @simtom2

When: Friday, February 18 @ 2000Z for two hours.
2022-02-18T20:00:00Z
Where: The Official Twitch Channel of MSFS

There will also be a Discord event channel open for those who want to voice chat with other members of the community.

Please see below for details on the upcoming Fly-In Event:

FLIGHT DETAILS

This week, the talk of the aviation world is the ongoing Singapore Airshow! To celebrate this biennial event, Friday’s Community Fly-In will take us from Kuala Lumpur to Singapore. Our flight plan will see us tour some truly iconic scenery from Malaysia and Singapore such as the Petronas Towers, the Marina Bay Sands, and Gardens by the Bay.

Pilots on PC can download the .pln file here:
Community Fly-In Friday 2022-02-18 Kuala Lumpur to Singapore.PLN (7.0 KB)

We will be starting at WMKK. Please load your aircraft 10 minutes prior to take off and taxi over to the runway in preparation for departure.

AIRCRAFT

Recommended aircraft: Cirrus SR22, Extra 330LT, Pitts Special, or any other plane of your choice with a cruising speed of about 140-150 knots.

MULTIPLAYER SETTINGS

Please adhere to the following settings so you can see everyone / be seen by everyone.

Variable Setting
Server Edit: SE Asia
Multiplayer All Players
Live traffic As preferred
Weather Few Clouds
Time of Day Daytime

It is advised in this flight to turn off both aircraft collisions and terrain collisions. If you do crash, you can use “slew” mode to join the pack. If the pack will be too scattered before the first stop, we will use slew on a defined point to regroup.

COMMUNICATION

To communicate with others, a voice channel on the "Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Discord” at https://discord.gg/msfs will be available to join.

LET’S FLY

This is meant to be a fun and informal flight. Everybody is welcome, no matter the amount of experience.

4 Likes

I flew in the last two community fly-ins & it was not a good experience at all. The first time, the flight plan was changed (Australia) & I found myself flying alone since I had loaded the initial flight plan!

The second time, I was at the right spot (Japan) but I was stuck on the runway with other aircraft. I could see the changes in speed with the throttle but the aircraft was stuck on the runway as seen in the images below. None of the other aircraft moved either. The aircraft didn’t move at all no matter what I tried. I restarted the flight & then I was alone again! There was no one in sight. I sped up and flew the entire distance alone and landed alone too (timing it according to the flight plan). It was disappointing.

I don’t think I would ever participate in the community fly-in again.

Destination airport! I waited for ten minutes since I was ahead of my time, but no other aircraft arrived. There was another player in Volocity, however, scanning the skies for the incoming traffic, which never arrived!

maybe you’ve switched to the wrong server

No, sir. I was at the right server. North Europe. Both the times.

If I were at the wrong server, the other aircraft won’t show, which were also stuck. Props whirring, but stuck at their spots.

Thanks for sharing the screenshot of the flight plan. Helps the Xbox users.

Were you watching or listening to the instructions from the event hosts/guides on the Twitch livestream?

None of the other planes were stuck. They were waiting for the event host to announce when to takeoff.

2 Likes

Then why didn’t I fly because I had throttled up and the speed increased and it sounded I was airborne but I wasn’t. I could even hear the landing gear retracting and flaps going up but I was still on the tarmac.

And those planes were stuck even after 10 minutes after the launch time.

No, sir. I wasn’t. I was all set for launch at the given time. And I managed to take off after 10 minutes of the given launch time. But I didn’t see any planes ahead or behind me.

And when I landed going the entire distance (ten minutes earlier) I waited expecting the others to land but no one was there.

That was your problem. All the instructions to the group are communicated by the event host via the Twitch livestream. We recommend either watching it on a second monitor/tablet/phone or at least listening to it in the background as you fly.

Here are some screen captures from last week’s fly-in showing the mass simultaneous group takeoff at Nagoya and the landing at Okayama:

1 Like

I think that you started the flight from the runway, not from a gate or ramp. so if you start from the runway then your plane is on the handbrake.

Can somebody advise how you engage Auto Pilot in the Extra 330LT, button binding on my yoke isn’t working and can’t see a button on Garmin unit in cockpit :grimacing:

The Extra 330LT is not equipped with an autopilot.

:joy::joy::joy: that’s why then, I assumed as I can see tonight’s flight plan on the Garmin I could engage AP. Many thanks :+1:

1 Like

A Garmin is not an autopilot by any means.

I have the same experience on Japan fly-in.
On T/G airport, I arrived erlier, so a was waiting for the main goup. As they pass-by, I throttled up and visually nothing happend. On indicators I have a speed, altitude, …, but visually I was still on the ground. I must cancel flight and start it from where I was stucked. Than it was all OK.
I fly this type of event more then a half year and this was my fist big bug.

Last time I flew that route (Kuala Lumpur to Singapore) the fidelity of the sattellite imagery left a lot to be desired. Also there were a lot of non-covered holes with just default MSFS scenery. i hope that has been updated with newer and more complete imagery, so it’ll be interesting to see what shows up these days.

The flight plan put me on the runway.

And I always release the handbrake. The airspeed kept increasing with the throttle but the aircraft was on the tarmac and wouldn’t move at all.

And active pause function? Isn´t ON?
SPACEBAR - press activation