[Official] Community Fly-In Friday: Norway

We will be hosting an Official Fly-in alongside a group of community members (you!) on Twitch. This is an open event, free to all who would like to fly along with us and available to pilots of all skill levels. The goal is to have a great time, explore new locations of the world, and make new friends. This event is open to pilots on both the PC and Xbox platforms.

Hosted by @SeedyL3205, @Jummivana, @Pieter2427, @simtom2, and @WombiiActual
When: Friday, May 12 @ 1800Z for two hours.
2023-05-12T18:00:00Z
Where: The Official Twitch Channel of MSFS

There will also be a Discord event channel open for those who want to voice chat with other members of the community.

Please see below for details on the upcoming Fly-In Event:

FLIGHT DETAILS

In May of 1925, two competing expeditions were attempting to become the first humans to reach the North Pole by air. One expedition, led by the Norwegian explorer Roald Amundsen, used the rigid airship Norge (N-1). The other expedition, led by American Richard Byrd, attempted the feat in the Fokker F.VII “Josephine Ford”. The crews of the two expeditions linked up and met each other in Northern Norway in mid May, 1925.

On May 9, Byrd claims to have flown over the North Pole, although the feat has been shrouded in controversy ever since. Historical researchers claim that evidence shows Byrd did not actually reach the pole. Just a few days later, on May 12, Amundsen’s expedition conclusively reached the pole in the Norge.

In recognition of the anniversary of these two adventurous feats from aviation history, this week’s Community Fly-In will be to the beautiful fjords of Northern Norway. :norway:

Pilots on PC can download the .pln file below:
2023-05-12 Norway.PLN (8.2 KB)

We will be starting at ENLK. Please load your aircraft 10 minutes prior to take off and taxi over to the runway in preparation for departure.

AIRCRAFT

Recommended aircraft: Diamond DA40, Cirrus SR22, or any plane of your choice that can maintain a cruise speed of around 135 knots.

MULTIPLAYER SETTINGS

Please adhere to the following settings so you can see everyone / be seen by everyone.

Variable Setting
Server SE Asia
Multiplayer All Players
Live traffic As preferred
Weather Few Clouds
Time of Day Daytime

It is advised in this flight to turn off both aircraft collisions and terrain collisions. If you do crash, you can use “slew” mode to join the pack. If the pack will be too scattered before the first stop, we will use slew on a defined point to regroup.

COMMUNICATION

To communicate with others, a voice channel on the "Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Discord” at https://discord.gg/msfs will be available to join.

LET’S FLY

This is meant to be a fun and informal flight. Everybody is welcome, no matter the amount of experience.

13 Likes

Waypoints (not only) for XBOX pilots. Let me know if it is helpful. Enjoy!
2023-05-12 Norway.txt (3.3 KB)

I’m looking forward to this one.

2 Likes

Very excited to see all of you again this Friday! I’m also excited to see Wombii join you also :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In addition to the mentioned anniversary, it’s also fittingly the Constitution Day on 17th May, the national day of Norway!

Sounds good and I see @WombiiActual is on this one which is cool!

So I have tested my AutoBroom, all systems ready to go tomorrow! :grinning:

World map is pointing all the custom waypoints to the North Pole on the listed flight plan. Imported it into Little Navmap and Navigraph both…and re-exported… same issue. Anyone else have same issue? Shows fine in LNM and Navigraph just not in MSFS World Map when loaded.

Mike

Hi @OceansCoast1,

Mine is showing normally:

Can you confirm that you have all of your addons disabled/removed? Thanks!

1 Like

It is very helpful. Thanks for doing this.

1 Like

@HamMan2118 I look forward to seeing pictures of your flying duck lol

It’s been a bit since I’ve been able to fly one of these, my previous job never worked well with me flying, the last time I used a bit too much autopilot and it downed my plane while I looked at getting ready for work the same time, also that event and a previous one I crashed early also due to autopilot issues or maybe it was just me.

For this new flight, I slightly modified some waypoints since it’s not always easy to set the same waypoints on Xbox.
I think I need to do some more flying, things went well till near the end then, you’ll see…
[Official] Community Fly-In Friday: Norway - YouTube

1 Like

Oh it’ll be a different “airplane” :wink:

The duck doesn’t go that fast!

Mike,

Make sure you have the latest navdata revision from Navigraph installed. It sounds like you are on an older revision.

Stephen

2 Likes

Hmmm…re-installed Navigraph up to date with Rev 3. This is what I get. Odd.

Confirmed. Took Navigraph out of community folder completely. Works fine now. Looks like its a Navigraph issue with recent MSFS updates.

Thanks!!

1 Like

Hi,
additional to @Stephendoc9443 answer - it is very important, that you have also installed the latest WU13 update. The reason is, that in the WU updates, Asobo removes/changes airport ICAO codes and when they are not matching with the real-world data, the result is a point somewhere due the north pole.

So, make sure, that you have really installed the latest WU update 13, move our AIRAC packages back to the community folder (or install it via our app) and load the flightplan. You will see, it will work …

Hope that helps,
Richard

PS: as a side note - the AIRAC data are currently approved and tested only with the current/released/stable version 1.32.7.0 and not with the AAU2 beta

2 Likes

… just tested with the newest beta AAU2 installed too - the uploaded flightplan loads without any issue with AAU2 installed too:

So, I assume really, that the latest WU isn´t installed …

Cheers,
Richard

1 Like

I’m not at home to test, but I assume if you were to remove all the en-route airports, leaving only the departure/arrival airports, and any POI waypoints would work. That would isolate Navigraph, and WU requirements?

Thanks everyone! WU13 in fact was not installed. That was problem. This is my first online community fly-in. Been flying for 6 months. Looks like I have MSFS setup thanks to y’all. Now if I can operate Discord and push to talk during the fly in without completely embarrassing myself I’ll consider this another major MSFS achievement at age 70.

Cheers, Mike

5 Likes

Enjoy the flyin with this great sim, Mike :slight_smile: …

Cheers,
Richard

3 Likes

@HamMan2118 any chance you streaming flying that duck? I play on Xbox I don’t have that option. You don’t have to fly far, was just curious about it that’s all.