[Official] Community Fly-In Friday: Papua New Guinea

We will be hosting an Official Fly-in alongside a group of community members (you!) on Twitch. This is an open event, free to all who would like to fly along with us and available to pilots of all skill levels. The goal is to have a great time, explore new locations of the world, and make new friends. This event is open to pilots on both the PC and Xbox platforms.

Hosted by @SeedyL3205, @Pieter2427, and @simtom2
When: Friday, December 1 @ 1900Z for two hours.
2023-12-01T19:00:00Z
Where: The Official Twitch Channel of MSFS

There will also be a Discord event channel open for those who want to voice chat with other members of the community.

Please see below for details on the upcoming Fly-In Event:

FLIGHT DETAILS

On December 1, 1973, the South Pacific nation of Papua New Guinea :papua_new_guinea: first gained self-governance after being formerly administered by Australia for nearly 60 years. Among aviation fans, PNG is known for its beautiful natural scenery and rugged, challenging airstrips made famous by the incredibly popular YouTuber Missionary Bush Pilot.

For Fly-In Friday this week, we’ll depart from the capital city of Port Moresby then fly on a generally northerly heading over the jungles of the Owen Stanley Range. Our flight will include several touch and go landings at bespoke airports, so make sure you have the free World Update XIII: Oceania installed from the in-sim Marketplace!

Pilots on PC can download the .pln file here:
2023-12-01 Papua New Guinea.PLN (3.1 KB)

We will be starting at AYPY. Please load your aircraft 10 minutes prior to take off and taxi over to the runway in preparation for departure.

AIRCRAFT

Recommended aircraft: you’ll want a bush plane capable of landing at dirt airstrips in the highlands. Suggested choices are the de Havilland Canada DHC-2 Beaver, CubCrafters X or NX Cub, Cessna Grand Caravan, or Pilatus PC-6 Porter. A cruise speed of 110 knots or greater is recommended to complete this flight plan in about two hours.

MULTIPLAYER SETTINGS

Please adhere to the following settings so you can see everyone / be seen by everyone.

Variable Setting
Server SE Asia
Multiplayer All Players
Live traffic As preferred
Weather Few Clouds
Time of Day Daytime

It is advised in this flight to turn off both aircraft collisions and terrain collisions. If you do crash, you can use “slew” mode to join the pack. If the pack will be too scattered before the first stop, we will use slew on a defined point to regroup.

COMMUNICATION

To communicate with others, a voice channel on the "Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Discord” at https://discord.gg/msfs will be available to join.

LET’S FLY

This is meant to be a fun and informal flight. Everybody is welcome, no matter the amount of experience.

6 Likes

A challenging but fun community flight with the mountains and landing strips!

4 Likes

Really enjoyed this one!

5 Likes

Thanks for the very atmospheric Flight yesterday. Never really visited this region before. I enjoyed it very much.

I want to clarify some misconceptions some have about using VR:
In your discussion and in the chat, I saw some comments that VR and following Twitch is not practical/possible. So I made a small capture in 1024x1024 that shows that it’s working very well. Sorry that the capture utility didn’t pick up the sound from the Browser but be assured that I heard everything loud and clear and the visuals are very sharp (original render is 2496x2592). You are able to place and resize the virtual Screen inside the cockpit anywhere you want, and participate in chat by typing on a blend in keyboard. This can be even expanded to show three different application windows simultaneously. I’m using a quest2 without steam VR, it is rendered on the hardware inside the headset, so I have 0 performance penalty. This should also be possible with any headset by projecting a second desktop window inside SteamVr.

3 Likes

Must be a day of crashing for me… you’ll see…

2 Likes

I took out the Wilga for the multiple bush fields here but blew my engine not paying as much attention as I should have, so I swapped to the Kitfox afterward which was obviously a popular choice. Excellent flight all the way around!

5 Likes

One might call it ‘slightly passive’ flying into terrain… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

I honestly blame the autopilot for that one, maybe it’s just on the Xbox but the AP has a hard time with changing its elevation when it comes to mountains.

1 Like