[Official] Community Fly-In Friday: Sun 'n Fun & Kennedy Space Center

We will be hosting an Official Fly-in alongside a group of community members (you!) on Twitch. This is an open event, free to all who would like to fly along with us and available to pilots of all skill levels. The goal is to have a great time, explore new locations of the world, and make new friends. This event is open to pilots on both the PC and Xbox platforms.

Hosted by @SeedyL3205, @Jummivana, @Pieter2427, @simtom2, and @FactualGull1036
When: Friday, April 12 @ 1800Z for two hours.
2024-04-12T18:00:00Z
Where: The Official Twitch Channel of MSFS

There will also be a Discord event channel open for those who want to voice chat with other members of the community.

Please see below for details on the upcoming Fly-In Event:

FLIGHT DETAILS

We’re taking a break from our Fly-In Friday World Tour this week to instead enjoy a flight in Florida starting from beautiful Miami!

Our full-stop destination of this journey will be Lakeland Linder International Airport (KLAL), which is currently hosting the annual Sun 'n Fun Aerospace Expo, the second-largest fly-in event in the United States (behind EAA AirVenture Oshkosh). This year is the 50th anniversary of the Sun 'n Fun fly-in! :small_airplane:

By coincidence, Friday is also the anniversary of an important event from aerospace history, the launch of the first Space Shuttle mission (STS-1) on April 12, 1981. To recognize this occasion, our flight plan will include a touch & go landing at Kennedy Space Center, launch site of the Space Shuttle. :rocket:

En route to Lakeland, we will also pass over one of the happiest places on Earth, the Walt Disney World resort near Orlando. :mouse:

Pilots on PC can download the .pln file here:
2024-04-12 Florida.PLN (3.1 KB)

We will be starting at KMIA. Please load your aircraft 10 minutes prior to take off and taxi over to the runway in preparation for departure.

AIRCRAFT

Recommended aircraft: Beechcraft Bonanza, Beechcraft Baron, Cirrus SR22T, Diamond DA62, Extra 330LT, Pitts Special, or any aircraft of your choice with a cruise speed of about 150 knots.

MULTIPLAYER SETTINGS

Please adhere to the following settings so you can see everyone / be seen by everyone.

Variable Setting
Server SE Asia
Multiplayer All Players
Live traffic As preferred
Weather Few Clouds
Time of Day Daytime

It is advised in this flight to turn off both aircraft collisions and terrain collisions. If you do crash, you can use “slew” mode to join the pack. If the pack will be too scattered before the first stop, we will use slew on a defined point to regroup.

COMMUNICATION

To communicate with others, a voice channel on the "Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Discord” at https://discord.gg/msfs will be available to join.

LET’S FLY

This is meant to be a fun and informal flight. Everybody is welcome, no matter the amount of experience.

6 Likes

Would be better if there was cape canaveral space center scenery

1 Like

Hello @twenty4fan9O,

You can install the free World Update II: USA from the in-sim Marketplace which adds hand-crafted POIs to Kennedy Space Center including the Visitors’ Center and Rocket Garden.

Thanks,
MSFS Team

4 Likes

Thank you. I didn’t notice mine wasn’t installed for some reason despite Owned.

Update: I installed it and loaded it up. The visitor center is done really well. But there is no Vehicle Assembly Building or other items to accuracy. And the launch towers look like apartment high rises.

Overall still needs some payware attention

There’s a nice (and free) Kennedy Space Center scenery, made by Acktu, on flightsim.to, which includes the VAB, and a good number of the launch sites at KSC. :wink:

that’s cool but it doesn’t help xbox users like me. I don’t understand how Microsoft took the time to make the visitor center but said yeah Oh well to the other stuff.

Oh, I wasn’t aware that you are on Xbox. My bad. :confused:

Thanks tho! Hopefully something is made for Xbox one day or that Xbox can make use of freeware

Just a point of info…Howard Forder from ForderLearnToFly is a volunteer ground safety leader all this week at Sun N Fun, He is leading one of the teams keeping people away from operating planes.

Think I missed Disney World on my flight, I actually figured it would have had a POI in the game, I didn’t see it but that doesn’t mean anything

Is it possible to get all the points in the post here. I’m not able to get the last way point before klal. Be nice to get all the points in these posts so I can follow the flight along with the others instead of having to guess.

Thanks

Just as @kenniekayoz, I missed Disney World too, although it was probably because I was trying to catch up with the pack as I fell behind at the beginning of the flight. I had live weather on during the first 30 minutes and the wind was shaking my RV-10 quite roughly and slowed me down quite a bit. Still enjoyed the flight though, the landing strip at the Kennedy Space Center was crazy huge.

I don’t know what these formations are, they reminded me of some kind of scars on Earth. I found them strangely fascinating.

p.s.: thanks @SeedyL3205 for answering my question about the Fallout series! I’m not an RPG fan so haven’t played any of the games yet, but will definitely watch the series.

2 Likes