[Official] Community Fly-In Friday: Tanzania

We will be hosting an Official Fly-in alongside a group of community members (you!) on Twitch. This is an open event, free to all who would like to fly along with us and available to pilots of all skill levels. The goal is to have a great time, explore new locations of the world, and make new friends. This event is open to pilots on both the PC and Xbox platforms.

Hosted by @SeedyL3205, @Pieter2427, and @AlyKatz
When: Friday, December 8 @ 1900Z for two hours.
2023-12-08T19:00:00Z
Where: The Official Twitch Channel of MSFS

There will also be a Discord event channel open for those who want to voice chat with other members of the community.

Please see below for details on the upcoming Fly-In Event:

FLIGHT DETAILS

December 9 is celebrated as Tanzania’s :tanzania: Independence Day! On this date in 1961, the former British colony in East Africa, known as Tanganyika at the time, gained independence and self-governance. A few years later in 1964, Tanganyika merged with the nearby island of Zanzibar to form the new nation of Tanzania.

Today, Tanzania is known throughout the world for its magnificent wildlife preserves and grand natural splendor. Popular tourist destinations include Serengeti National Park, Ngorongoro Conservation Area, and Mount Kilimanjaro, Africa’s highest point. We will be visiting all of these locations and more during our community fly-in this week!

Pilots on PC can download the .pln file here:
2023-12-08 Tanzania.PLN (2.9 KB)

We will be starting at HTSN. Please load your aircraft 10 minutes prior to take off and taxi over to the runway in preparation for departure.

AIRCRAFT

Recommended aircraft: for this flight, we’re recommending a bush plane such as the de Havilland Canada DHC-2 Beaver, CubCrafters X or NX Cub, Cessna Grand Caravan, or Pilatus PC-6 Porter. A cruise speed of 100 knots or greater is recommended to complete this flight plan in about two hours.

MULTIPLAYER SETTINGS

Please adhere to the following settings so you can see everyone / be seen by everyone.

Variable Setting
Server SE Asia
Multiplayer All Players
Live traffic As preferred
Weather Few Clouds
Time of Day Daytime

It is advised in this flight to turn off both aircraft collisions and terrain collisions. If you do crash, you can use “slew” mode to join the pack. If the pack will be too scattered before the first stop, we will use slew on a defined point to regroup.

COMMUNICATION

To communicate with others, a voice channel on the "Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Discord” at https://discord.gg/msfs will be available to join.

LET’S FLY

This is meant to be a fun and informal flight. Everybody is welcome, no matter the amount of experience.

4 Likes

FYI, the Twitter post contains a broken link

Oh KooL… Africa :heart_eyes:

Flight went well, not so good on the landing though

For this fly-in, if I may, I suggest you this DEM / ETM10 (freeware) of mine … to fly low and slow.

Coverage map…

4 Likes

Cool. There’s a Grand Caravan livery by 4Simmers for this one. Coastal 5H-LUV.

As always a fun community flight, and I look forward to next week’s surprise!

6 Likes
6 Likes

Thank you for today’s event! It was only my second time participating (first time was the Aviation History Month event), I especially enjoyed it now that I know that there is a stream covering the event as well. :smile: Great insights from @SeedyL3205 , thanks for sharing your stories and pictures!

8 Likes

Good flight today!
The poor Widgeon doesn’t like this altitude!

6 Likes

After a longer pause (Beta-test) it was great flying together again. You guys rock.

I loved that today, it wasn’t just a regular flight, but in addition we all kinda-sorta went on an expedition together. The Bell 407 does have a turbine, but got short of breath at that altitude.

I tried to keep the number of screenshots low, but by the time I had cut the selection down to 10, I had already thrown SO much cool stuff out that I just stopped. Deal. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I flew with real weather as always, but the sim-time set to slightly more than 2 hours before sunset. Turned out to be a good choice.

Beautiful place.

Also, a DarkStar on Kilimanjaro. My hat is off and my jaw is dropped. :trophy:

9 Likes

Great flight as always!

8 Likes

I would be very pleased if among all those who flew the fly-in, there is someone who has downloaded and installed my “DEM / ETM10 Enhanced Terrain Mesh 10m for Mount Kilimanjaro per Microsoft Flight Simulator | MSFS” and know your impressions… about performance and visual quality also in relation to your hardware.

For those who didn’t notice it in this ETM10, it’s worth your tourist visit Momela Lakes - Wikipedia.

Low, slow flight below 500ft AGL is recommended.
Thank you in advance.

1 Like

Hello! I used your DEM on the community flight. Performance was good and so was the visual quality in terms of heightmap. With better satellite imagery for this region I think your DEM would stand out even more. Excellent job nevertheless!

2 Likes