[Official] Community Fly-in Saturday: FlightSimExpo (with Major Prize Giveaway!)

Please note day and time change: this week’s Community Fly-In will be on Saturday, June 24 at 1900Z.

We will be hosting an Official Fly-in alongside a group of community members (you!) on Twitch. This is an open event, free to all who would like to fly along with us and available to pilots of all skill levels. The goal is to have a great time, explore new locations of the world, and make new friends. This event is open to pilots on both the PC and Xbox platforms.

Hosted by @SeedyL3205, @Jummivana, @Pieter2427, and @simtom2
When: Saturday, June 24 @ 1900Z for two hours.
2023-06-24T19:00:00Z
Where: The Official Twitch Channel of MSFS

There will also be a Discord event channel open for those who want to voice chat with other members of the community.

Please see below for details on the upcoming Fly-In Event:

FLIGHT DETAILS

FlightSimExpo is happening this weekend, and the Microsoft Flight Simulator team will be there! Can’t attend in-person? Fret not, because our Community Fly-In event this week will be a virtual tour to Houston, Texas, host city of FSExpo2023! Our flight will depart from San Antonio, feature a touch & go landing in Austin, then continue on to Houston for a fly-over of NASA’s Johnson Space Center (home of the famous “Mission Control”) and the Lone Star Flight Museum, host venue of FlightSimExpo.

During the livestream, Senior Community Manager @Jummivana will be reporting live from the FlightSimExpo convention floor and interviewing several MSFS partners and community VIPs.

Best of all, Next Level Racing has very generously donated a prize for this livestream. One lucky viewer from Twitch chat will win a Flight Simulator home cockpit, valued at USD $799! The winner must be present at the time of the random draw to claim their prize.

Pilots on PC can download the .pln file below:
2023-06-14 FlightSimExpo.PLN (3.0 KB)

We will be starting at KSKF. Please load your aircraft 10 minutes prior to take off and taxi over to the runway in preparation for departure.

AIRCRAFT

Recommended aircraft: we suggest a Diamond DA40NG, Cirrus SR22, Extra 330LT, or any other plane of your choice that can maintain a cruise speed of approximately 130-140 knots.

MULTIPLAYER SETTINGS

Please adhere to the following settings so you can see everyone / be seen by everyone.

Variable Setting
Server SE Asia
Multiplayer All Players
Live traffic As preferred
Weather Few Clouds
Time of Day Daytime

It is advised in this flight to turn off both aircraft collisions and terrain collisions. If you do crash, you can use “slew” mode to join the pack. If the pack will be too scattered before the first stop, we will use slew on a defined point to regroup.

COMMUNICATION

To communicate with others, a voice channel on the "Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Discord” at https://discord.gg/msfs will be available to join.

LET’S FLY

This is meant to be a fun and informal flight. Everybody is welcome, no matter the amount of experience.

10 Likes

Is this on Saturday or Sunday the event date says the 23rd but the Post details says the 24th.

1 Like

Here is the flight plan in text format (not only) for XBOX/Cloud pilots.
2023-06-24 FlightSimExpo.txt (1.3 KB)

Awesome, wasn’t able to join tomorrow, so now that it’s on Saturday, I can hopefully be there!

Is the Discord channel going to handle ATC at the destination?

Will the 5 runways (and two directions each) of KIAH be uncontrolled airspace?

If you live UTC5+ then it’s Sunday for you, for others it is Saturday.

2 Likes

I’m just going to fly in willy nilly as usual!

(But yes, with all weekly community flights they ignore air control)

1 Like

5 Likes

Another great fly-in.
Congratulations to the winners!

5 Likes

Nice flight, thanks everyone!

4 Likes

I see a fellow Xbox flyer. I streamed the event and remember seeing your name. Be sure to watch below for the video on my YouTube channel.

For all my fellow Xbox flyers who joined the event, I streamed it if you interested to see if I came across your name check the video (below). A few of you folks here on the forum I remember seeing during the flight, at times it was difficult to see names because most of you were all bunched together, and all the names that close created a rather solid black line.

This was my first flight with the community, I gotta admit it was cool to fly with you, fine folks. I also want to send out an apology to whomever I almost clipped upon landing, we both were coming in from two separate directions, and the other flyer was on the runway and already had wheels down. I wasn’t at that point yet but I was able to see them and pull up so no accidents happened… Shameless promotion is below the video

If you’re interested in following my channels you can at the following:
Youtube - Ken Squires - YouTube
Twitch - Twitch

I look forward to flying with you fine folks again in the future.

Thanks again for the enjoyable flight and congrats to the winners.