[Official] Community Fly-In: Women of Aviation

We will be hosting an Official Fly-in alongside a group of community members (you!) on Twitch. This is an open event, free to all who would like to fly along with us and available to pilots of all skill levels. The goal is to have a great time, explore new locations of the world, and make new friends. This event is open to pilots on both the PC and Xbox platforms.

Hosted by @SeedyL3205, @Jummivana, @Pieter2427, @simtom2, and @FactualGull1036

When: Friday, March 3 @ 1900Z for two hours.
2023-03-03T19:00:00Z
Where: The Official Twitch Channel of MSFS

There will also be a Discord event channel open for those who want to voice chat with other members of the community.

Please see below for details on the upcoming Fly-In Event:

FLIGHT DETAILS

March 8 is International Women’s Day. March 8 is also the anniversary of Raymonde de Laroche of France :fr: becoming the first woman in the world to earn a pilot’s license. Every year, this anniversary is recognized as part of Women of Aviation Week, a time to celebrate the accomplishments of female pilots and encourage more women and girls to get involved in flight. For this week’s Fly-In, we will be flying across the French countryside to the town of Chalons. In 1909, Laroche flew her first flight at Chalons, the first known instance of a woman pilot flying an airplane.

Pilots on PC can download the .pln file below:
2023-03-03 Women of Aviation.PLN (3.6 KB)

We will be starting at LFAC. Please load your aircraft 10 minutes prior to take off and taxi over to the runway in preparation for departure.

AIRCRAFT

Recommended aircraft: Cessna 172, CubCrafters X or NX Cub, Pipistrel Virus, Flight Design CTSL, or any other plane of your choice that can maintain a cruise speed of approximately 120 knots.

MULTIPLAYER SETTINGS

Please adhere to the following settings so you can see everyone / be seen by everyone.

Variable Setting
Server SE Asia
Multiplayer All Players
Live traffic As preferred
Weather Few Clouds
Time of Day Daytime

It is advised in this flight to turn off both aircraft collisions and terrain collisions. If you do crash, you can use “slew” mode to join the pack. If the pack will be too scattered before the first stop, we will use slew on a defined point to regroup.

COMMUNICATION

To communicate with others, a voice channel on the "Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Discord” at https://discord.gg/msfs will be available to join.

LET’S FLY

This is meant to be a fun and informal flight. Everybody is welcome, no matter the amount of experience.

8 Likes

I already know I’m super early for this, not just super early but crazy super early. But the thing is I’m from Ontario Canada and to be honest we’re in for snow storm tomorrow so I wanted to do the event asap since I have no idea what tomorrow will bring for me. I also know that being on Xbox means I can’t join the community event unless I buy the addon and while I want to my wallet says “not right now”

I did the event and it’s uploaded but it’s not viewable until 9 am tomorrow

My own personal thoughts about the community events are/were at first I never knew what to think as at first, I thought it was just they chose a region to fly around I didn’t realize they had start/finish points until I looked further into. But I also like that no matter where you fly you tend to stay away from the big known places like with the latest you stay away from the Eiffel Tower so it gives you different parts of different countries to explore. I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s googled places to fly in the game and for the most part, they cover many of the big tourist attractions such as the Eiffel Tower.

1 Like

With the greatest (and un-feigned) respect, I’m not sure I get the point you’re trying to make.

Hello @kenniekayoz,

What do you mean by this? No addons are required to take part in our weekly Community Fly-In events regardless of your platform. As long as you have access to Microsoft Flight Simulator on PC, Xbox, or Xbox Cloud Gaming, it is free to attend for all sim pilots.

Thanks,
MSFS Team

2 Likes

For Xbox you need the game pass to play online do you not?
Cause that’s what it tells me when I try to play it online, and to me that’s an addon

I was just making two points

1 - due to unforeseen circumstances I won’t be able to participate in the event so I thought I would do it early

2 - I like how when they do a major city they don’t focus on major attractions (such as Paris and Eiffel Tower) but they show other things as you’ll notice when you do the flight.

I didn’t think it was that confusing, I apologize if it was.

I’m on Xbox Cloud and it will be my first fly-in with you guys. Is there a list of all places we’re gonna fly by to insert it manually on the world map? The image on the post only shows the name of the first 4, besides departure and destination. Thanks.

Good evening. I’m not sure this is the best way to provide the waypoints to Xbox users, but here is a screen shot of the flight plan detail from Little Navmap:

You should be able to select the departure and arrival airports then add the points between.

Happy flying.

1 Like

Now THAT’s how you write concisely and to the point. Well done. And apology accepted.

Not sure why the first thing got you confused as some people like some context rather than bullet points. Maybe I’ll keep that in mind.

Did a qulick flight and was impressed with the waypoints… Will try to make the flight…
Thanks for everything…
Gunk (Ocala Flight Sim Club, Ocala Florida)

Some screen grabs from this flight today (in VR).

4 Likes

Thank you. This list helped a lot. On the cloud I have to do it manually, since we can’t load the flight plan. But unfortunately I showed up late, since the time of my time zone is set to a DST time, which we don’t have for more than 4 years now.

1 Like

Wow, I’m sorry I missed this event. Hello, I am B4Gunner @ Hangar Studios 713 and I would like to add to the history of women in flight. In fact my 1st freeware aircraft the Ryan Navion N4888K was modeled after Ruth Hellman’s 1st purchase after WWII. The current owner/pilot Chad Hawthorne and I spent months trying to recreate the N4888K as it is a part of history. Chad shows the plane at airshows and is a current active member in the Navion Society. You can find more info about Ruth’s 1st plane via Chad’s YouTube videos in this link - https://youtu.be/QtvDENBhxIU And I’ll add some photos from Chad’s presentation with pictures of Ruth and some of her history. You can download the freeware Ryan Navion for MSFS from my website - https://www.hangarstudios713.com

1 Like