Official Discussion: Hotfix 1.18.15.0

Nope, just outright deception and spin. The ‘quote’ was from another forum member who was actually making the opposite point.

Oh nooooooo!.. Ahhhhhh…! STOOOOP! Internet, please stoooop!

I did not want to start any baseless rumour, so please scratch this “statement” from your memory - that was a completely hypothetical scenario, as an answer to @AquaPainter168 's theory that because of of a common code basis (between the XBox and PC version) we now have more bugs in the PC than if a completely “stand-alone” (or “independent”) development for the XBox version had been done.

Of course neither of us can be proven wrong or right (and he may as well be correct!). I just wanted to illustrate that in general a common code base is a good thing to have in software engineering.

Because not only does it actually cut down development costs (“you have essentially just one big team/projects”), but it also improves stability and quality for all platforms at the same time.

And think about it: one developer can quickly switch from PC to XBox and vice versa, and improvements on one platform can quickly be incorporated into the other platform - because “one code basis”. It is just way more efficient, especially when it comes to “feature parity”.

Of course nothing is “black or white” in real life, and this is especially true for IT (despite it essentially only dealing with 0s and 1s). So in fact it could well be true that for this time the “merging” of XBox code into the PC code basis (and vice versa, of course) may have created “statistically more bugs” than if we only had a PC development alone.

BUT (and that is just my opinion): we have already profited from the improvements which had also been done for the XBox. And developing code on different platforms always gives you some “extra confidence” in your code in the long run.

But again, please scratch that idea that “development is going to be split”, or that “there will be XBox exclusive features”! That was - again - purely a hypothetical scenario to illustrate a completely different point.

Please, all bits and bytes, revert back into the Internet cable from where you came from, hush hush…! :wink:

1 Like

Apologies! Yes, I have that poster hidden so I did not see that. It looks like they were just laying out a scenario, a “what if”, and this has been taken as a statement of fact, with a central part of that hypothetical scenario being quoted out of context.

2 Likes

Suggest you flag it with a category of “other” and add some details to explain to the mods. If you’ve not already done so.

1 Like

I flagged it a while ago, but the mods are probably busy elsewhere.

1 Like

Ah, so in the meantime I have “caught up” with the previous comments, and only now do I see what happened: yes, the “infamous power of mis-quoting people” - that’s (unfortunately) also a “strength of the internet”… :wink:

So yes, @SanMan140579979, there are rules in how you are supposed to quote people. Of course one can deliberately twist and bend those rules for their own advantage. In your case I believe you did this completely unintentional, but what you did is nevertheless, well, frowned upon (to say the least).

Why? Because if you explicitly quote someone you are making the quote a statement (that someone else did). And by taking my statement completely out of context (again, not deliberate from your side, we assume for now) you made it seem like a fact (that “features for XBox would come first”), while it was meant to illustrate the complete opposite!

So you managed to change the meaning of my hypothetical statement by 180 degrees: my statement was supposed to illustrate the exact opposite of what you were saying (= your opinion about “features coming first to XBox”), namely that by a common code base a company manages to provide features for all platforms at the same time!

See the point here being made now?

No harm done (from my side anyway), but please consider quoting people correctly in the future (or simply not quoting them at all, and make it your own statement or opinion), thank you so much!

No problem…got it

2 Likes

VR users are still suffering from the downgrade of Sim Update 5. This posts describes well some of the issues we still have.

3 Likes

I’m trying the FBW A320Neo, it loads with a VFR direct GPS path, yet when I try IFR high altitude I get CTD. Is that a known issue?

Sorry, but you do know you are in the minority:) I hope it gets fixed for you.

1 Like

I use manual caching quite a bit and there seems to be a bug. When you go to cache a new area, the areas the white overlays showing previously cached areas do not stay over the areas cached, they move around as you move the map and zoom in. It’s very frustrating as I can’t see what I’ve already cached.

Anyone else getting this?

To make double-sure that everybody understands, especially also “readers from the future” (and that this nonsense is not “carried any further”): the original statement is from me.

It has been taken completely out of its original context, which was to illustrate the exact opposite, namely that a “common code base is beneficial in general for IT development” and specifically that it also “makes it possible that features come to all platforms at the same time”.

I hope that clarifies it for everybody :slight_smile: Please do not copy&paste and specifically do not quote this statement any further :wink:

Not true actually. I have a very average mid range PC, i7-7700k and gtx 1080. With a mix of mostly high and some mid settings i am happier with SU4 than SU5.

I have some stuttering during approach, and maybe poor fps in major cities such as NY, London, Paris etc…but in all other cities the performance is generally fine.

But with SU5, while i can now fly in these major cities, but i realized it is achieved with significant LOD reduction and culling of objects, and the pop-in or out are bad at the moments in these big cities where buildings and skyscrappers pop-in only when i fly close enough and i didnt like the immersion with these pop-in all within sight from cockpit even though i can now fly in this big cities with decent fps and little stutters.

SU5 also brought about changes, at least before hotfixes such as CTDs, over exposured textures, too bright textures and umdesirable changed in cabin views sound effects of airliner like b787…

BUT if Asobo is able to somehow make these irritating pop-in issues less obvious in next update without big drop in performance, then SU5 can truly be seen as a significant improvement to SU4 and earlier builds in my opinion…but i can at this time still give them another one to two updates to get it right.

My VR has been fantastic and the best it’s been since launch, can fly for hours with no issue and settings bumped right up, and not a single stutter so I’m made up with the update and hotfix

We have already been told the next update adresses these issues so I can’t understand from what platform you are speaking from. Disable vsync, push your LOD up to 200 and then play with the rest even if that means renderscale @ 75% (better than 80 imo). Once the pop-in / culling problem is fixed you with a 1060 will not be disappointed one little bit.

@DensestSnail693

I am already on LOD 200 FYI. As i said if they can fixed all these without significant reduction in performance…so until one try out the fixes in the update it is difficult to be sure i guess? And no one know what other bugs will be introduce in next update…sorry, but given the update track records of asobo…i wont believe anything till i see it myself.

They are also going to relax the LOD limit but even now you can go beyond 200 with very little effort. However if that gives you frame rates of pre SU5 then that is your look out.

And I can’t believe you are already complaining about the next update, that just tells me all I want to know!

1 Like

@DensestSnail693

I dont think i am complaining…i am given feedback and my concerns with update…without all these past feedbacks the hotfixes wouldnt even come quick enough to help users with all sort of issues after SU5, is a proof of the importance of giving frank feebacks, and issues with each update are very genuine concerns many other users probably have after SU5.

But if you cannot accept any “negative” feebacks or posts written, i suggest you can dont read or reply. You really are not required to read unless you are working for asobo…

My apologies to you sir…didn’t mean to create a big stir…though I clarified that with my follow up posts. Sorry for the trouble👍

3 Likes

Managed to get the Hotfix installe3d after installing the XBox App, which I was unaware of previously. Sadly thereafter there have been a number of CTDs and application hangs. looking forward to the next update to restore usability. Currently it is sadly too error prone,