Official Discussion: January 13th, 2022 Development Update

It has to be approved.

1 Like

Questions submitted for the Dev Q&A require approval so that duplicate questions (which we always get) can be merged into a single topic.

1 Like

I donā€™t mean to be rude, but the vast majority of people were very happy with the weather before su7 ( me too ) it is a main feature of the game that was changed/broken with nothing that we could do to stop it, to the point of making the game not enjoyable anymoreā€¦ we are absolutely powerless in this regardā€¦and if this weather is to be fixed, please do an update just for it before anything else! You canā€™t add and add without fixing one of the core features, itā€™s borderline immoralā€¦the game I have now does not reflect what was advertised and what I bought 5 months ago.

15 Likes

Each to their own, but I really appreciate these weekly dev updates and like the content provided, from the roadmap, to market updates and screenshots!

7 Likes

One of the most upvoted requests from players prior to SU7 was to have Live Weather more closely match the conditions stated in METARs. The dev team responded to that very popular request by introducing a new METAR-based weather injection system in the vicinity of airports where METAR data is available. Unfortunately, this introduced a new issue where there is now a sudden and abrupt transition between the two weather injection models rather than it occurring smoothly and looking natural. The devs are continuing to make further refinements and improvements to Live Weather in future Sim Updates based on player feedback.

20 Likes

Just for educational purposes, why does it take ā€˜several releasesā€™ to deploy a fix? Iā€™ve seen this with other items here too (wish list and bugs). To my limited perspective, wouldnā€™t it be better (for your buyers) to adjust/fix and release the full repair in a complete state?

1 Like

Some issues are so complex that they cannot be solved with quick and easy fixes. Would you rather wait for a complete and total fix in several months time or have moderate incremental improvements in the short-medium term until the issue is completely resolved?

For some issues, the team decided it makes more sense to develop a comprehensive fix all at once even if that means it takes longer to improve the situation for our players. In other cases, they determined itā€™s better to get incremental improvements in your hands as quickly as possible even if the issue is only partially resolved.

5 Likes

Is it possible to get some further clarification on what is meant by ā€˜abrupt transitionsā€™ so that we can better understand what is meant by that? From my experience with weather engines an abrupt transition would be where say clouds change from FEW to OVC very quickly and harshly without a smooth transition period, is this what you mean? Or does it also encompass all of the other issues weā€™ve seen come with it such as the coverage not matching METAR or Meteoblue, the cloud types being wrong and often towering/convective etc etc, are these issues a by-product of the transitions or are these bugs within their own right?

Feel free to DM me if itā€™s not the best place to discuss here.

I donā€™t remember any majority on this forum ever be happy with anything. The live weather prior to last update was unable to depict correct vis values, still not perfect, but much better now. Moving right direction. Though one thing I donā€™t get is why they have so much focus on world updates and questionable race DLC, prior to implement basic promised features (replay, seasons, helicopters etc.)

3 Likes

I guess this is a perfect example of the old adageā€¦ ā€œBe careful what you wish forā€ :smiley:

6 Likes

Yes I heard it was a requested feature, but did people know what it actually meant to have it in the game? And the developers, I think they should have had an extensive testing before releasing su7. The weather was so much more accurate and beautiful before. So I hope they can resolve this issues, with either the option to not have METAR, have an in-game generated METAR or somehow have that transition smooth, although I donā€™t know how thatā€™s even possible when flying in a area with multiple METARS, we would lose any weather front and any natureā€™s logic behind the clouds dispositionā€¦which we had before.

3 Likes

Not sure, but if I remember a previous Q&A correctly, it was discussed that there are multiple groups working on multiple projects. Essentially, it is a different set of people who are working on the World Updates than the Sim Updates as well as probably a different group working on things like custom aircraft models and the Race DLC.

1 Like

This is 100% correct. The people creating the 3D digital art assets for new POIs included in future World Updates have a completely different set of skills from the programmers who write and troubleshoot code for weather, aircraft systems, flight model, and other core systems. Itā€™s a persistent myth among a portion of our players that weā€™re prioritizing World Updates over Sim Updates. We are releasing both. If we stopped releasing World Updates tomorrow (note: we have absolutely no intention of doing so), the frequency of Sim Updates wouldnā€™t change.

15 Likes

Always interested to see whatā€™s new. Good job to all the Asobo staff :+1:

1 Like

Could anyone from the community team confirm when we might expect the marketplace updates to land? Thank you!

1 Like

I find it troubling that there are twice as many ā€œwishesā€ listed as opposed to ā€œbugsā€. Things could be different internally but from the external perspective of a simmer I think this gives the impression that there is more focus being placed on implementing new features as opposed to fixing bugs. This is especially concerning since SU8 is being branded as an update dedicated mainly to ā€œfixing bugsā€. I certainly hope the dev team is not limiting themselves to only the 24 bugs on that list because there are many more with hundreds of votes that need attention.

For example, the Pixelated and grainy clouds are back bug now has 362 votes, if there were a second page dedicated to bugs this issue would certainly be on it. I would certainly like to see bugs such as this one be acknowledged by the dev team and be made aware of a plan to improve it.

7 Likes

Iā€™m still happy that my optical VR main problem is still titled ā€œPlanned for 2023ā€. Especially considering that it would fix a few other things on the list automatically as well. Consistent attitude.

Letā€™s see if I still play then. But maybe Chris Roberts is already done in the meantime .

2 Likes

@CptLucky8 Oh, youā€™re still alive?! :beers: I thought you were already gone.
A few days ago I was just wondering why your thread with the shader bug was closed. With the reason - problem solved. ?!? Hmm, I guess I have to go to the optometrist. :rofl:

2 Likes

And that is the best example of the fundamental problems with the voting system.

1. You only count upvotes, so you have no idea how many people would oppose a particular change. If 1,000 people want a change and 3,000 people do not want that change all you will see is those 1,000 upvotes.
  2. The topic of that wishlist item is ā€œLive Weather Does Not Matchā€, with in the snapshot became ā€œLive Weather and Wind Readings Not Accurateā€. Does not say anything about METAR. You did not get 1128 votes for implementing a METAR-based weather system. Many of those votes were for fixing various issues with the Meteoblue implementation, not for integrating METAR data.
  3. How many topics a wishlist item gets depends on many things beyond how popular it would be if implemented. Mundane things like whether the original poster chose a good title, whether the thread ā€œwent viralā€, and whether discussion on the topic happens to be in the wishlist item thread or in related general feedback threads matter at least as much.
17 Likes

Hello, not sure if Iā€™m the only one but I really appreciate the toggle for seat belts and no smoking, i like the sound. Iā€™m a little disappointed this is not available with the standard planes on the Xbox. The citation has the buttons for this option right in front of me but I get welcomed by the dreaded inoperative button message.

Thank you in advance, also opening doors would be cool when on the ground, I love using the TBM and the Caravan :ok_hand::+1:

1 Like