Official Discussion: October 14th, 2021 Development Update

Microsoft has no control over whether or not a 3rd party makes their products:

1. available in the marketplace
  2. makes said product Xbox compatible

Xbox compatibility for marketplace products is optional and totally up to the 3rd party developer whether they choose to make their products compatible with Xbox or not. I suspect what over time we’ll see more developers creating new stuff that’s compatible with both platforms out of the gate vs going back and dumbing down their existing products to make them with with Xbox’s limited memory.

Also, many 3rd parties want nothing to do with the marketplace due to the onerous process to get stuff published, running the risk of a sim update breaking their wares and then the ridiculously long turnaround times to get updates pushed to the store. That means a plethora of potentially amazing content will never be available on Xbox because it’s not in the marketplace. In this case, Microsoft does deserve a portion of the blame, and their poor internal proceses are pushing devs away from using the store.

But to say “Xbox is being left behind” and directing that at MS is wrong. Any extra content MS produce will be available on both platforms.

7 Likes

Anyone else not seeing the Carenado sale on Xbox? I just checked and all are still full price.

1 Like

I haven’t had the opportunity to confirm they are on sale on the PC Marketplace, either.

Unless the sale starts at 6pm tonight? Kinda confusing as the post says Oct 14th.

How is this post getting flagged lol.

It’s true. They’re digging a hole to throw money in.

The amount of things that need updates on the shop will keep on increasing. They will need to hire new people for work that isn’t necessary.

Because of quality control? Why is there so much bad stuff on there then?
No, what is it then?

Silly flaggers.

1 Like

They have to go trough every single AddOn and add the encryption. Also they seem to check the packages for some stuff. And there is probably so much on the backlog to be released (mostly rushed out trash stuff as 90% of the marketplace already is). So the new releases probably gets priority over the updates, as new stuff brings money, while updates only bring more work but no additional sales…
Id assume thats the reason. Quantity and money over quality.

It is available for the MS Store marketplace. I haven’t checked Xbox.

1 Like

£15.26 for the Seneca seems like pretty good value. I’ve seen a few folks flying it on Twitch, and it seems quite reasonable. I’ll wait to see what happens with SU6.

1 Like

I feel like there is a little contradiction in this post. By making accessibility to the marketplace difficult for 3rd party devs, MS/Asobo are leaving Xbox behind.

Everyone makes excuses for them, but other games and communities have figured out how to support mods cross platform and/or support thriving marketplaces.

You are telling me a game that carries the Microsoft name and published by Xbox Game Studios can’t do this too? I won’t buy it and I won’t give them a free pass - MS/Asobo are absolutely leaving Xbox behind.

3 Likes

The reason of wanting more stuff on the marketplace is not hiring new people over opening up the market place. Clearly the second gets more stuff on there quicker.

What do you mean by “opening up”? As long as there is no automated process to add the encryption, it will be slow. The only way is to hire lots of more peoples to overcome that massive backlog.
Devs are making public that MS/ASOBO told them it will take up to 16(!!!) weeks till a new product appears on the marketplace, with an average of 10 weeks.

Automating is exactly what I mean. (at least for trusted 3rd parties)

Hiring more people to do an ever faster growing stack of preventable tasks is throwing money away…

Whatever. As long as updates take so long I see no point in buying through the marketplace. I’ll buy directly from the dev. Gives them more money too… And allows me to edit their stuff.

4 months? Wow! Okay, methinks it’s almost time to cut my losses and bail on this sinking ship. So much for 4-6 weeks for that p38 :rofl:

1 Like

It would be interesting to know, what they exactly do with AddOns, what do they check, why does it take so long? Why is a JF Piper revoked while pirated trash gets released? Many open questions…

9 Likes

Exactly my problem. It appears to be pointless.

EVERY single add-on I have purchased on Xbox has had a bug which I discovered within 1 hour or so of purchase- usually within 10 minutes! I get they are also looking for malware but come on!

2 Likes

They for sure dont check the products for bugs, thats really not the job of a vendor, it is on the developer.
They check other things i guess, but then it stays questionable why the JF pipers got revoked for “bugs”. But we dont know the full story, only JFs POV.

That one is pretty easy to explain. There is a direct competitor who is also a partner currently on the market.

Unless someone clearly explains why the JF arrows were rejected that is the reason I choose to believe.

3 Likes

These are 2 different issues.

Many 3rd party devs simply don’t want to downgrade their existing products to make them work on Xbox, as that will also downgrade them for the PC as well. They may create new products for both platforms, but some likely won’t rebuild their back catalog. Others may choose to never compromise the vision of high quality work to make their add-on work on Xbox. Like I said, participation in the Xbox store is optional.

The issue with the slow turnaround times for the marketplace is most definitely MS’ fault. No question about that. And it’s keeping some developers away. That’s not an Xbox issue. That’s an MSFS issue and hurts everyone, particularly 3rd party devs whose content was broken by a sim update out of their control. It’s worse for Xbox though, because you guys don’t have any alternatives for 3rd party content like PC users.

And no, MS shouldn’t get a free pass. They’re absolutely to blame for the marketplace issue. It’s only a small part of the issue as to why Xbox content is limited though.

5 Likes

It’s probably been removed until the developer certifies it works with SU5. Flightsim.to, any add on which was not marked by 9/30 as being SU5 compatible, was removed until the developer could get on and either provide an good update or mark that it is compatible.

That being said though, last night when both planes came out on the marketplace, I immediately did research on both. At that point no one was discussing them, so I was able to find the reddits that discussed this plane going on simmarket the day after it appeared on flightsim.to. Now however since it is on the ingame marketplace, all of my searches just come up with current discussions. So I will withdraw my comment, as I cannot find the original reddit reference that talked about the SU-57.

Or perhaps the developer first put it on flightsim.to, then decided to instead sell it on simmarket.com. I can no longer find the reddit since all the searches I do come up with discussing its entry in the ingame marketplace now, but last night, I was able to find plenty of discussion from the day it first went on simmarket.

1 Like