Official Discussion: September 29, 2022 Development Update

Hi @gadwin777

Just have Aamir join the Avionics Framework channel on WT’s Discord as I referenced earlier in the thread. The team is very open to helping out other devs.

5 Likes

I invited Dave, but he did not agree.

I don’t think “come here” is good enough.
I think you need to answer the following DevSupport.

1 Like

I don’t know who you think needs to answer that, but FS Developer Forum is solely the Asobo Dev Team. He can also participate there, but either way, this is about the most detailed answers anyone’s going to get on this Discussion forum.

Respectfully, this thread has referenced channels for developers to reach out and speak to 1st Party like Working Title (their Discord). Matt has also provided a very detailed view of how the radar works through JS.

3 Likes

Seems to be a dumbed down version than what PMDG was able to implement with wind shear included in the P3D product. Shame Asobo does not clearly understand what is needed. What Matt describes for his product is not sufficient for more advanced needs.

3 Likes

Yes. I am not going to discuss this any further here. :slightly_smiling_face:
I am just giving you the results of what was asked of me.
He showed that DevSupport post and he said that nothing can be expected now.

I think the issue is that the Weather Radar might work very well through JS, the problem is that the more detailed planes right now from PMDG, FBW, Leonadro, Fenix is not using JS at all afaik and regardless of what methods WT might use (which i do love) it isnt applicable to some others untill Asobo can make it work over SimConnect.

I think also from reading that Devsupport thread shows that theres been a big miss communication between Devs and Asobo on both whats actually being implemented and what future work is being done on it

Asobo very clearly noted that they were exposing the js weather radar bitmaps to wasm. Nothing more, nothing less. They noted it down in every dev blog roadmap during and preceding the su10 beta period.

The wild community speculation (as usual) built up something that was never going to be provided in su10.

It may not be what they want but it still gives the likes of fbw, fenix and pmdg the ability to put together some form of radar even if it’s missing all the bells and whistles. Unfortunately it seems they’ve all decided to hold off and see what comes in future.

I hope they’ll reconsider their positions as even basic functionality is better than nothing.

As has been said before I’m positive there are commercial agreements that prevent Asobo from opening up read access to the system, which may be tricky to negotiate.

Hopefully Asobo have more planned here but it may no longer be a priority.

2 Likes

Part of the community outroat at the moment i think also comes from that previously on the roadmaps it was listed as SU10+ indicating that it was most likely gonna be worked on past this update, but now seemingly that isnt the case anymore which leads many to think: Thats it?

Fenix and PMDG and FBW dont implement it from my understanding because to them its essentially just color on the ND since it doesnt have Tilt, Gain, Windshear etc and only shows rain. So it isnt very usefull to them sadly

Could just be a typo or not a headline feature any more? maybe someone just missed it when they updated it for SU11+. I wouldn’t assume it’s completely done and dusted quite yet.

Even rain would be great to have though wouldn’t it? if / when they get the capability to map windshear (or more likely when Asobo provide them calculated windshear information as I doubt anyone is getting full raw access to the underlying weather) they can add it later. I’m sure they already have gain, tilt and range controls as per Matts explanation earlier.

On another note it’s good to see some devs engaging with what they have. The C414 dev was working on the weather radar for that plane and they were getting good results from it. I’m definitely looking forwards to it.

1 Like

Does Asobo/MS not interface with the developers? It all sounds disorganized and helpless.

It is evident from day one that they do.
And it’s the 3rd party devs that need to get in touch, not vice versa.

4 Likes

@fnxaamir You might be interested in what Matt Nischan from Working Title has to say on the weather radar API :+1:

The current situation, in which both sides have become stubborn and users have been left behind, is unfortunate in itself. :expressionless:

6 Likes

How come the wishlist item for “Ability to change meteorological visibility/RVR” is marked as “Fixed?”
Is there a way in the sim that allows us to change the visibility to 100 metres? 20 km? Anything at all?
All I see now is a slider for “Humidity,” which is just a renamed feature that’s always been there - “Aerosol density.”

Also, the whole WXR and Weather API situation is kind of sad to be honest. Doesn’t P3D have some kind of predictive windshear warning system implemented? It truly feels like Asobo is bound to the contract with Meteoblue and they can’t expose the weather data at all.
I do agree though that a basic WXR is still better than none at all.

6 Likes

They have done that tho, since last year even. Theres even a dev support thread right now asking this same question that has answers from many of the primary developers right now. So it is Asobo that they’re all waiting on

A full-fledged weather radar is sorely missing from this otherwise fantastic sim. One can only hope Asobo either adds the necessary functionality to their API, or allow third party devs to inject weather in the sim so active sky can bring their expertise to msfs.

hello, i’m interested on use this api as developer, can you give me access to discord please?

Clicking on the link should have given you a prompt to be invited to the Working Title Discord.

If it doesn’t, I suggest you try their Working Title Aero Page and you’ll see a link to their Discord at the bottom.

Also, the API is MS-Asobo’s so you can also ask the MSFS Dev Team directly at the DevSupport Forum for the sim.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.