[OFFICIAL] Microsoft Flight Simulator Cannonball Run 2021 [Charity]

I hope they fix the Live Weather issue before the race because that realy makes a lot

1 Like

I was hoping you would just designate one plane for this race, oh well! I ran the whole thing last year in the 172 and it was a lot of fun until we realized who the cheaters were in the last few hours. One dude will show up and hand fly (somehow without cheating this time?) a Pitts the whole way while the rest of us do something more logical.

@SeedyL3205 people not interested (or just not possible) to go for the Grand Champion title, can they fly the same plane twice and get their time registered?

Are we supposed to fly ā€˜realā€™ VFR, by plotting from one landmark to the other (and, of course, get lost), or are we allowed to ā€˜justā€™ plot from one gps waypoint to another and follow the magenta line?

Negative. If youā€™ve already flown a plane once before in the 2021 series, you have to register using a unique plane type.

Of course, everyone is welcome to fly any plane they want, including a 747 or F/A-18, and just fly along with other officially-registered racers for part or all of the Cannonball Run just for fun and to participate in this charity fundraising event, but only those pilots following all the rules will have their time recorded on the leaderboard.

Everyone,

Iā€™ve updated the Registration and Results spreadsheet with all entries for Cannonball Run 2 Iā€™ve received so far. If you have already registered, please confirm your details are entered correctly, including the right plane type you selected.

2 Likes

If there isnā€™t a rule explicitly preventing it, then itā€™s ā€œanything goesā€ (true to the spirit of the real Cannonball Run).

1 Like

This is my real christmas :wink: just registrated and looking forward!
Now need to explain this to my wife :wink:

6 Likes

@SeedyL3205 it has been asked a couple times, but I donā€™t see an explicit answerā€¦

Is the G1000 NXI considered illegal (canā€™t imagine why it would be as it doesnā€™t change performance).

Looking for a clear answer, if already answered, then Iā€™m an idiot and sorry, but I did read looking.

Thanks.

Also the weather looks a lot less hateful this year.

Good luck. IĀ“m with you :wink:

After last years event (which was great fun) ended up taking SO LONG because of the heinous weather and winds across the U.S. that day, I swore I would never do it againā€¦ It seriously took me three days to get myself back on a normal sleep schedule.

However, the inclusion of some much more capable planes this year makes it temptingā€¦ Just want to know if I can run the NXi, or if I have to revert to default G1000.

Hey Seedy,

how are you going to handle the temperature bug that sometimes occurs in Live Weather mode at the moment?

If I join, this will be my first time flying actively with the community (other than friends).

How are we getting off the same airport? Iā€™m not familiar with how to talk to a real ATC and I can imagine a chaos if 100 planes are scheduled to fly at the same time.

1 Like

I think that itā€™s just like punch your throttle and get to KLAX asap. Other than what was stated above, no rules.

3 Likes

Disregard ATC, everyone else does. Have the countdown clock running on another screen/device and as soon as it hits 0 (or maybe a couple of seconds beforehand) go full throttle. The interpretation of the rules are you still have to be on the ground @ 8am departure airport time. Also there is nothing in the rules saying you have to take off and land on runways, I used an apron @ CDG on the Paris Dakar rally that shaved 1 or 2 kmā€™s off the distance required to fly.

1 Like

I suppose multi-player is not needed too, correct? Just that logging app for the correct timings?

First time attending! And seeing a lot of 172ā€™s, maybe this time weā€™ll see one taking the trophy too :grin:

Unlikely with the bunch of SR22s
But: last time 172, this time 172 :slight_smile:

I highly highly highly encourage you to complete your run with multiplayer turned on. Itā€™s a ridiculous amount of fun to fly across the country with dozens of other planes. Youā€™ll naturally form friendships (and/or rivalries) with people who are close to you.

2 Likes