[OFFICIAL] Microsoft Flight Simulator Cannonball Run 2021 [Charity]

I second this, lasttime over canada i’ve had my personal duel with another microlight, was really kinda fun… what fuel-stop strategy somebody chooses, does he/she circumnavigate bad weather or not. fly on top or scud-running taking higher risks…

3 Likes

im pretty sure you do have to land on runways. i cant remember what race it was, but i remember someone getting in trouble for not landing on runways

im not sure on this, but back before the NXI existed, the G1000 mod wasnt allowed since it was an addon. although im not sure if the stance has changed since the NXI is in the marketplace

either its allowed or not… the G1000 MOD/Marketplace item flew off my Content Manager due some strange CTD inflight… since I removed it everything worked without crashes…

Well, to be clear. Marketplace doesn’t exempt anything from the rules. The marketplace is full of addons that aren’t legal for this race.

But my question is because 1) The NXi doesn’t provide any performance improvement. 2) WP is working in a true parternship with MS, so it becomes fuzzy if it is really a 3rd party mod, vs part of the core product.

It doesn’t provide any material advantage. The reason I want to run it is that it is the one I’m used to working with.

Honestly I’m not aware of any way that anyone could prove you are or are not using the stock G1000 vs the NXi, unless you were streaming and they saw it. However, I’m basically a rule follower, and I don’t operate in that kind of grey area. So I am just looking for a firm yes or no. For now since the rules say no mods, I’m assuming its a hard no. But, I don’t know that for sure and thats why the question is out there.

Hi everyone,

Friendly reminder that the registration deadline is coming up soon, 2359Z on Wednesday, December 22.

I’ve also updated the Registration and Results spreadsheet to include all the registrations I’ve received so far. Please check your details to confirm I didn’t accidentally miss you or enter an incorrect plane for your registration.

Today I’m flying the second leg of my Cannonball Approach Run from EHHV - KJFK :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::+1:. So I’ll get there in time. Today Edinburg, tomorrow Reykjavik, then Greenland West coast, then somewhere in Canada and finally KJFK.

Great weather today. Clear skies and tranquil seas. Had to make a diversion to Newcasle because fuel ran too low. Beautiful landscape with all the hedges, the forests and lakes. Tomorrow big hauls across the seas to Faroer and Iceland.

Just donated to the great cause of this year: suicide prevention! To my surprise I donated 50% of the money raised thus far (after my donation, for the math lovers out there, 33%, go figure). Dear fellow Cannonballers: we can do this, together. Shall we make a deal that the goal is reached when I touch down in KJFK?

07:30 EGPH:

13:00 Vågar Airport Farøer:

17:00: Fagurhólsmýri Airport Iceland
Just in time before nightfall and empty tanks (4gln left)… (fantastic, msfs even models the frozen seas!!)

11:00 Next morning takeoff to Reykjavik

12:30 Kevlavik Iceland:

15:00 Greenland on the horizon:

16:00 Tricky landing on Kulusuk Greenland (20 kts crosswind):

07:30: Third attempt to round Greenland (yesterday I crashed two times: one time because the C172 dit not make it across the 9.000ft lump of ice that Greenland is, second attempt because I ‘overstressed’ the aircraft. No idea why that happened…)
But look: even Orion is clearly visible in the sky:

11:30 Narsarsuaq Airport
What a terrible leg… 40-50 kts tailwind. It really was a challenge to remain within safe boundaries and not crash due to overstress. Leaned and held back on throttle to the max, but had to watch ETG bedoming too low, too. Otherwise the aircraft starts wobbling in the air and stalling.
Landed with 28kts crosswind, had to give rudder to 45 degrees. Beautiful place though…

15:30: On my way to Davis Inlet:

17:15: Canada on the horizon:

17:30 Davis Inlet:

18:30 Funny, I landed with green trees and after loading my new flight plan there was snow everywhere :slight_smile:

09:00 On my way to Houlton, it’s a brilliant day!

13:45: Ready for the last haul from KHUL to KJFK. Look! It doesn’t get better than this:

14:00 MADE IT!!! Last flight was nearly all IFR, got 31R in view just in time:

11 Likes

IMPORTANT RACE INFO

I feel stupid for not thinking about this earlier, but for any racers currently participating in the Pre-Release beta test, please roll back to the Live Build (1.21.13.0) prior to December 26 for the Cannonball Run. It’s important that all racers are playing on the same version since (among other things) Live Weather is one of the changes in the Pre-Release build.

How to get from the beta back to the normal version, on PC?

See this thread:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/remove-public-beta/479421

1 Like

Under rule 1a, refueling and staying on the ground for 10 minutes, I’m assuming it would be permitted to take advantage of this and reboot the PC if needed? A potential 20+ hours of running MSFS may be tempting CTD’s

Absolutely correct. The 10 minute mandatory refuel breaks are there not just for a bit more realism and to encourage different race strategies (there’s a time “penalty” to refueling, so ideally you want to minimize your fuel stops), but also for the health and safety of the race participants. Use that time to get up, stretch, hydrate, use the bathroom, and restart MSFS and/or your PC. You can resume from the same airport where you landed for fuel upon restarting. Don’t forget to actually add the fuel to your tanks, though! Every time we run one of these events, someone always forgets and takes off without 100% fuel in both tanks.

Thanks for confirming.

I realised I registered the c172 skyhawk, could you please change it to c172 skyhawk(G1000).
Many Thanks

Changed.

10char

Can I change my ac to b 350

Negative, that is not one of the approved aircraft types for this event.

How bad is it exactly to be on beta? This morning I spend an hour trying to remove myself from the beta, read the linked thread, but weren’t able to. In the Insider Hub I left the beta, but there was no reinstall avaliable from the store. So now I’m still in 1.21.18 after I left the preview.

After this the game started crashing after I launched it, so something was not right.
Now I deleted MSFS and want to re-install it.
From the Store I only am able to install from the Xbox app. In the Xbox app I am only able to install to a drive, not to a folder. I had the game installed on D:\MSFS, so I chose the D-drive.
The installer seemed to install the complete 123 GB, but suddenly reverted to 20Gb. After installing, it says that the game is installed on the C-drive and the version is still 1.21.18.0.
So I really don’t know what to do.

After resetting all my settings and re-installing some other things, at least, after two ‘wasted’ hours I am flying again.
So I hope that I am still able to partake in the run.

Just had a nice CTD after 5 hours in SR22.

Will see how this is gonna work during the cannonball race! :see_no_evil:

Hello Jayne & Skeedor, I think it needs to be clarified whether the Working Title NXI is able to be used for this event; as it is on the marketplace as freeware and replaces the g1000 for ALL aircraft. In my opinion it should be allowed but I think it should be put in writing

1 Like

I’ve done quite a lot of test flying during this week and maybe two or three flights ended in CTD. Which is weird since I’ve had only few CTD’s since day one and now I’ve gotten so many within short time.

Better plot those checkpoints.