Offset (ILS / LDA) Approach Issues

Excellent idea. The cat is sleeping next to me right now so I feel very safe in any case. Im gonna try little navmap!

Bottom line is, it seems to me, ils 22R at kjfk is not correct and my bug report was not in vain. Or I have missed something completely.

1 Like

Cat 1, 2 or 3?

1 Like

Okay! Well that explains it then :slight_smile: ( And Iā€™m not crazyā€¦ was starting to doubt my faculties)

Unfortunately I have no navigraph subscription so I just have to hope they go in and change these manually. (Just add it to the list of exceptions?)

@anon50268670 hmmm. Letā€™s see, he is CAT2. CAT1 is gone missed in (at) November, and CAT3 has taken off this morning without filing a flightplan. So thatā€™s the cat status atm.

1 Like

This is how it looks in Little Nav Mapā€¦ so youā€™re right (and you end up left)ā€¦

Better stick to 22L :slight_smile:

(MSFS data)

Yup that aligns with the mental model I have acquired after fiddling around in the air thereā€¦

The ILS for KPIT Runway 28L is off.
Instead of heading 281, it went for ~265.
I didnt correct it manually and just let it do its thing till I crashed into the woods next to the runway.

I was flying the A320 coming from KJFK

A localizer course is fixed.
You canā€™t correct it.

This was an excellent opportunity to perform a missed approach when you reached the decision height and didnā€™t see the runway.

Why didnā€™t you adjust the CRS ?

@billgranada

Did you read my above post?

Again, you canā€™t correct the course, itā€™s fixed!

Regardless of what course you dial in, the CDI will always display the correct deviation from the fixed localizer course.

1 Like

That was not what I meant. I meant taking over the aircraft

I didnā€™t understand you correctly, you said " I didnt correct it manually" which gave me the impression that you had a choice. Which in real life, of course, you would, sorry.

1 Like

@billgranada

IRL you canā€™t correct it either. If the LOC course is wrong for whatever reason, you have to perform a different approach.

Thats what I meant by saying ā€˜I didnt correct it manually and just let it do its thingā€™ - poor choice of words from my side.

Youā€™re right. Will do next time when itā€™s happening.

At that moment I was just fed up since it was another issue the sim is causing me since SU5 and the Hotfix.

1 Like

Like @PZL104 says, you canā€™t change the LOC course the same way you select a VOR radial. Even in real life where you might need to set the final approach course manually, the CRS you set practically doesnā€™t do anything, its just an annoyance having to fly an ILS with the CDI 30 degrees off for example, having to rotate the picture upright in your head.

The only purpose of setting the ILS course is to have a correct picture displayed on the OBI, HSI, ND or whatever instrument you are using. In other words, if the CDI shows one dot deviation to the left, you can turn the course selector 360 degrees around, it will keep displaying one dot deviation to the left the whole time. You can try it on the steamgauge C172, the course you set is completely irrelevant.

There is however a really stupid bug in MSFS, for some reason you can make the RMI or bearing pointers (blue needles on the Garmin) point towards the localizer antenna like it is a VOR or NDB. This is completely impossible in real life. You canā€™t home towards a localizer antenna like its a conventional beacon. The principle of operation is entirely different.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been using NDBs VORs and ILSs for years but Iā€™m sorry that I donā€™t understand the concept here. You tune in the frequency and dial in the bearing or radial. As far as Iā€™m aware you can use a localiser in the same way as a VOR.

If it is an issue with MSFS aircraft then I will have missed this as I am flying the BN2P which works perfectly.

The big difference is that with a VOR you can select any radial and fly on that radial towards or away from the beacon. You canā€™t do that with an ILS, you can only approach the localizer from the front (front course) and maybe from the back (back-course) but you canā€™t select, lets say 90 degrees off from the localizer course and approach the runway at a 90 degree angle. You can only receive the localizer directly from the front or directly from the back plus minus a few degrees and the course you select is only to make it easy for yourself, you could set CDI 30 degrees off and still fly the ILS, you are just making it difficult for yourself by not having the CDI point in the direction of the runway, the fly left / right indication remains unaffected.

Using an OBI like on the steamgauge 172 the OBS is not doing anything at all as soon as you select an ILS frequency. Try it in MSFS, line up on the localizer and turn the OBS, its not doing anything at all.