Oh lovely, MSFS deletes itself yet again

Once again for about the 3rd time, MSFS randomly deletes itself off my PC without my input. Why?? Who knows. Does it ever get fixed? Nah. My one day off of work, looking to play and it’ll be spent re-downloading 120GB. I regret I bought this through the MS store.

2 Likes

Have not ever had it on my System, and I bought through store. It’s maybe not store, but anti-virus or firewall on your system if NOT Windows defender. But I keep mine installed on my C drive and do not move anything from there. I have seen this from other users, and not sure steam is affected or not.
I feel your pain, if I have to reinstall it, it takes me 6 days because my internet is so slow. Why DVD for install were not part of the price is a mistake. Trust me it something happens, and I have to install again, it’s not going to happen, will just assume it up to a bad investment or purchase and leave the platform period. My FSX still works, and I have XP-11 which is on DVDs and can reinstall that in about 4 hours. Harder to configure devices though, well, more time consuming, but way more choices. Good Luck.

1 Like

For PC users. 2 TB HD $45. + FREE Disk image/backup software.

Backup your machine, and then, at any time, you can restore whole PC, or just MSFS in far less time than it takes to re-instal by downloading on a slow Internet Connection

PLUS

You are backed up – always a good thing !!!

1 Like

Sounds good, I’m cleaning up some space on my C: drive and will reinstall it there. Hopefully it’ll be the last time this happens. Thanks.

I have no answer for why your sim gets deleted, but follow these instructions to put your Packages folder in a custom location, and then if it happens again, you will have FAR less than 120 Gb to redownload.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/how-to-change-the-installation-path-of-installed-packages-inc-community-folder

You can get MSFS on disc.

Strongly recommend Macrium Reflect (theres a limitless free version) to image the drive. Saves you from having to reinstall/redownload stuff.

You can then mount the image which will appear just like a regular folder in Windows File Explorer. Just copy paste.

I wish it would delete itself off my xbox

2 Likes

Sounds strange…

I would check:

• Your anti-malware software, in case it does quarantine msfs for some reason
  • Check your c:/windows.old folder if it’s there. If you make an update to Windows a compatibility issue may occur and Windows moves the software.

Both these scenarios are very rare, it sounds like you might have a problem with your Windows installation maybe.

Do you use an addon linker?
There are a couple posts in here from folks that used one and this was the result.

Every time I use nVidia Experience Overlay to take a screenshot the MSFS .exe deletes itself as well. I bet it has to do something with the anti piracy and does not like how nVidia access the MSFS window on my machine. Yes putting the content in a different folder helps with the reinstall.

Xbox game mode for the PC has also decided it isn’t allowed to take screenshots of MSFS either. Using Fraps.

Yes, and then once installed from the Disc, it uses the Internet to Update, so you are no better off, and have to have the disc in your DVD Drive, every time you start MSFS !!

4 Likes

Oh yes, I get that.
He had mentioned he wished it was available that way.

Cannot imagine anyone not employing a backup/restore solution for their PC.
I use Macrium reflect 8 paid version. Restored my entire C Drive in 23 minutes.
Restored my MSFS Official Folder in 13 minutes. It is a NO BRAINER

Restored a MSFS Official Folder to a friends computer and saved him HOURS of download time.

Be Good to Yourself: Have a self tested, reliable, Backup and Restore Solution

@GlokEMBPilot Were you in the Beta, and if so did you opt out of said Beta before the 13th?

Faulty hdd or ssd?

All - I would also run the follwoing at admin command promp just to make sure drive and system is good:

1. SFC_/Scannow
  2. Chkdsk_/F/R - this one may need special permission and restart, it will run before POST.

Good Luck - FWIW-FS98 needed disc 1 inserted when it was released, two weeks after, MS changed that. And having to put in Disc 1 every time would be easier than 6 days to download. I have copied the whole MSFS local folder to a separate place just to be sure. That will save me 5 days. Still wish it was on DVD’s, not sure where to find them, and bet that changes my license agreement, or have to buy it twice, since I feel the initial 120 price is still way out of line with quality of game, don’t think I will pay twice.

2 Likes

and just as importantly :-

3, DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth —(needs admin permissions to run)

ref:

Were you in the beta and did not opt out of the beta before jan 13th? If so, search this forum to see why the dim got wiped and how to prevent this next time. Me and other posters have written about this in like 20+ different posts.

Solid-state drives with SMART do you really need to run this anymore. Seems like a holdover from the old platter days. SSDs should detect failing memory cells and move files automatically.

1 Like