OK, so why has my MSFS deleted itself?

I haven’t played in the last few days, but started up the sim tonight and it wants to download the whole thing again!

Looked in my MSFS installation folder after the ‘update’ started and there’s only 8GB, rather than the expected 100GB+.

How? Why?!

1 Like

Are you on Steam? Did you perform a validation of the installation? This is the side-effect.

2 Likes

Yes and yes. But why?!

I really hope it retained all my settings.

Yes i fell into that trap also, had a CTD, did a steam validation and the whole sim got wiped :frowning: had to download it all again, lucky got a fast download, so only took 20 mins, but that shouldn’t have happened and i feel sorry for anyone with a slower download, not nice downloading 100Gb :frowning:

Yeah… NEVER do a verify with Steam. That’s a guaranteed re-download of the entire contents of the game. It should retain all your mods and settings. Although some mods (that offer functionality like the G1000 / G3000) may need to be reinstalled to work right.

It’s dumb and shouldn’t be that way, but it is what it is. At least now you know not to do that again.

1 Like

I can’t even remember why I did it. Won’t be doing it again.

Ah-ha! I can confirm that it still happens (said teh guy currently re-installing the whole of MSFS…)

Because this is old steam bug no asobo.

No, it is an Asobo bug, they should not be downloading extra stuff into the Stream folder besides the core game files.

OLD STEAM BUG.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8379-RYIP-2998
That why I bought msfs from microsoft store.

Interesting but I couldn’t see the relevancy. I have 500+ games in my Steam library, spread across 4 partitions (in 4 library folders), and several installed by/linked to Uplay/Epic, and not one has ever disappeared in the way described in that article in 15+ years of Steam gaming (despite the fact that I used to move installs between partitions and also emply symbolic links).
The files were totally removed from my SSD when I performed a ‘Verify Integrity of Game Files…’ (aka validate files) - a fact that I was able to see clearly as I have MSFS installed on a seperate partition. This is something that I have never seen before to any other game (even those Uplay/Epic games), but thanks for the read though.

2 Likes

I refuse to buy anything via that - who knows when they might retire it again! :smiley: (hint: GFWL)