Old good Live Weather with pics! (Asobo, give an option to bring it back)

Since a year now, one of the absolute top features of this flight sim has been pretty much missing and broken, the live weather.

I have been just starting the sim to check with every new update since SU7, the actual state of the issue and to my disappointment, it seems to still exactly the same.

Weather depiction has gone so bad, I consider it as false advertising at the moment (at least visually).

I don’t think I’m not being patient enough, again, is not like just a few weeks or months passed, but it’s been about a whole year!!, a whole year in which I just refuses to fly without such a key feature for me.

Time after time, all I see when I check, are those puffy, ultra low density, odd and flat looking things in the sky, that reminds me the FSX clouds, but not that absolutely gorgeus looking skies we once had :disappointed_relieved:

This is supposed to be a mostly overcast dense cover of clouds in the south of Spain (SU10 latest beta):

what a joke!! :see_no_evil:

This would have looked photorealistic with the previous live weather system, as sooo many times I enjoyed before :sob: :

I have been missing these skies and, as it seems impossible for the team to make this new Metar implementation to work as the previous, only Meteoblue system, I, and for sure many others, would love to see an OPTION to fully disable all the metar thing and just go back to what we had pre SU7 + Visibility data injection. PLEASE!

To make people remember how amazing it was before, I would like to share some of my old screens, all pre-metar. I have not been able to enjoy all this variety, accuracy and realism in skies as in all these images. And I’m not saying you can not get something “similar” to this now, but definitely it is a very, very rare thing, limited to certain places, not as good anyway and with constant abrupt changes.

Please, feel free to show yours too.

Asobo, I beg you!, please, bring back this piece of art we had before and just inject over it the visibility data, just that!!

thanks!

66 Likes

These are beautiful pictures from the game, I so badly wish they would fix these issues, it’s such a major feature and a major let down to not have this functioning properly for so long.

4 Likes

I’m thinking their looking pretty good…

8 Likes

Great pictures and :crossed_fingers: that your prayer will be heard.

3 Likes

Thanks for the pics, I think they demonstrate how sky scapes have degraded since su7.

These skies are nowhere near the ones in my old images. And these formations are pretty much the best it can get now, while the clouds in the screens I posted were very easy to find in the non metar system before.

There is no cohesion and coherence anymore, and clouds just look like random base-less circles of 2d textures, so sad.

Draw distance (detail) is so lacking too. No more gazing at clear, sharp and well defined far away formations. :disappointed_relieved:

Hope Asobo can think about this. Many people are asking for it, please give the option to get back the old system an the higher quality render of the formations, PLEASE!

10 Likes

You talk about imposing…we had METAR imposed on us with no telling of what the risks would be, or a toggle to switch it off!!

7 Likes

Will go through old screenshots and show pre SU5 ones. In the meantime, here are some beautiful clouds from SU10 beta.

How far we have fallen. Awful resolution and edges, terrible colouring.

10 Likes

And from before SU5

The skies were so beautiful.

20 Likes

I have one too from los angels of 4 days ago

2 Likes

Awful isn’t it.

In a way I am jealous of you that you didn’t play before SU5, every time I fly since then I remember what we used to have and now don’t, at least you don’t get that feeling.

4 Likes

Yep, as you can see, the lighting was way better as well. Now it is dead. All happened at SU5 I’m afraid. As soon as it was updated and I took my first flight I was heartbroken.

6 Likes

to be fair, it was already in the game. but they made a change that made it what it is. I recall at launch it was even worse (like full on 0 visibility hurricane thunderstorm on live weather when it was clearly sunny and clear in the real world location)

And having an accurate metar is hugely important to the safe operation of an airplane. It tells a pilot the atmospheric conditions at their destination. If you’ve ever stepped outside before, you’ll notice that over the course of 24 hours, winds change speed and direction, clouds move in and out affecting visibility. Temperate will rise and fall which affects takeoff and landing performance. I suspect planning for weather on long haul flights is chaos because the weather and winds is surely to change after 8, 10, 12, 15 hours. For the die-hard sim fans “this is crucial.” For the casuals, it’s a foreign language that doesn’t affect them. In our sphere, both are equally valid ways to play the game But this is not about what casuals and hardcore simmers want.

Not to mention, you’ve always been set the weather to your chosen preferences in the game regardless of the real world condition. So yeah there kind of is an “off switch.” You don’t have to fly with real world conditions. The game lets you make your own clouds in the weather preset editor on the world map already. You don’t need to wait for mother nature to download herself into FS2020 to get your 4k eyecandy screenshots…

It’s far more accurate than it was in the game now than i

2 Likes

That’s not live weather. Live weather is a weather that change dynamically according to the sata received, preferably as clise as possible to resl time. But even if it was a 6 hours old data it would still be live, as the weather will change in accordance to the time it was taken in that specific region. I gave no interest in pre setting my clouds and having the same weather from Rome to London!

5 Likes

Honestly it was so much better, it’s embarrassing how good it looked back then and much worse is looking now. Please Asobo bring it back.

15 Likes

But the sim does not accurately represent what is in the METAR anyway, so it’s pointless.

4 Likes

Not going to happen as long as VATSIM is around. The only hope is either Asobo getting the METAR data and weather engine to display everything correctly, or allow the option to turn off the METAR reported weather so we can have the weather being displayed via Meteoblue again.

Many of us would very much prefer what we had previously compared to terrible looking CB, domes of clouds sitting over METAR reported airports during flights and weather popping into view 10 miles from the airport on final.

8 Likes

Never seen this wonderful clouds after SU5 …

louds

2 Likes

I don’t understand why you are complaining. The sims weather has never looked better than now. Had a flight last night over Spain/Alicante and I have never seen more beautiful clouds/light/shadows. It is amazing!

7 Likes

It appears that the old weather system is not completely lost, as it sometimes manages to make its way into the sim.
Please consider voting for the issue below as, despite large amounts of evidence, this bug is not logged yet.

5 Likes

If I understand your post and all your pictures correctly what you want is to see on screen the same, as you see outside your window.
Well rhats never going to happen of course. If the real weather is cloudy or it is raining then I expect to see some representation of that in the SIM. But I dont expect realism as I know very well that isnt an achievable goal.
Thus far I have always seen a fair reflection on my screen of the outside. For example if it is raining then when I see it raining on the screen with more cloud cover, I think that’s pretty good. If it is also very foggy outside but not in the Sim, then to me at least that doesnt matter.
There are third party add ons you can buy that specifically focus on weather modeling.