Old good Live Weather with pics! (Asobo, give an option to bring it back)

I think it is reading the visibility descriptors. I noticed this a while back when I was leaving Vegas in the sim, while the metar was showing reduced vis in blowing dust. Not only was vis rendered correctly, but it wasn’t just normal greyish haze. It was dirty looking, yellowish… darned if it didn’t look like a layer of blowing dust especially as you climb through the tops. Was fantastic.

2 Likes

You didn’t capture that? Shame on you. We need pictures :wink:

It might still be on a vod… lemme look.

Here we go. Banding will be terrible because Twitch badly crunches their VODs, and then JPG compression from screenshot will make it worse. Of course the sim did not contain the banding. But you can see the color difference between the dust layer and regular clouds in the full moon clearly.

Personally for me, a low and slow flyer, the two biggest disappointments of the flight sim since I purchased and installed it back in March last year have been:

One the introduction of severe colour-banding with SU5.
Two the changes made to live weather with SU7.

The former took 6 months to fix. But the latter is coming up on a year now and no sign of a fix. I used fly happily with live weather 100% of the time but since SU7, live weather has joined ATC and live traffic on the list of things that I just leave turned off.

The guys in the other thread linked earlier in this thread are doing sterling work and spending a lot of their time demonstrating with video and screengrabs that the old live weather is still available until around 07:00 zulu time in the morning and then switches in an instance to the uniform nondescript uninspiring live weather that we have today.

Post SU7 live-weather introduced, weather bubbles around metar points, the nondescript clouds mentioned above, with the one exception that I’ve encountered being the black apocalyptic towering Mordor volcanic ‘clouds’ more or less ever present since SU7 over my home town (Dublin), and entire weather-scapes that pop in and out of existence in the blink of an eye. How I wish at least for the option to revert to pre SU7 live weather.

Most of my flights are short so I now build my own weather based on what I see in Meteoblue at my departure point using the available presets options, and just accept that my flight won’t feature changeable weather.

The most frustrating thing for me about my two biggest disappointments is that they were both items that were introduced in updates that downgraded elements of the sim that had been in my opinion beautiful beforehand.

I live in fading hope.

5 Likes

@Hester40MT, my post that this is in reply to seems to have been deleted unless I’m being blind?

Oh, wow thanks for posting. Even though the compression is bad you can still see what you are talking about. Looks like Live weather may still have a few surprises for us. I’ll have to look out for those conditions

Please send @moderators your question. I am also letting you know that disussing moderator actions is not allowed in the forums and to send a DM to the moderators for any issues you are having. :+1:

1 Like

Some of you go into too much detail and make things too complicated… For me personally the clouds look really good and the real weather is quite accurate in SU9… :blush:

1 Like

We still have Meteoblue, Metar just has been added to improve accuracy and get actual aerodrome weather.

The clouds can look good, but these are set with a weather theme.

I agree that the cloud visuals (perhaps the cloud resolutions?) do seem to have been reduced, and are often a blobby mess, resembling no clouds I have ever seen. We did get that blobby mess too on earlier iterations, but the live weather did seem to be more varied and have more ‘life’ to it than it can deliver nowadays. It almost seems like the cloud resolution was reduced massively (not necessarily the textures, but the cloud structures), which also translated to a much lower memory usage, and faster frame rates.

Perhaps they’re trying to take the middle ground. Personally, I’d prefer all the graphics options to have more ‘spread’ between low and ultra. Ultra should bring most systems to their knees IMO.

Hello

Just have a look at my flight, the weather is impressive good and immersive👌 Keep way like that . Never seen as good.

1 Like

In memoriam:

10 Likes

Yeah we need it back. Right now all looks the same clouds around the world.

9 Likes

This is SU10 and I think it looks pretty good.

5 Likes

Seems like some people are still getting good results from live weather. While a lot of people are not (clear from the forums here). If you are in the former group great. If you are in the latter group not so great. I think the video footage in the thread about the 7:00 zulu live weather switch really demonstrates the pain felt by those in the latter group.

6 Likes

It would be interesting if several people enter the same airport at the same time and check if we all see the same weather.
For example, this is the weather I see right now in SCQK (Chile)

The weather for me has been so much better in su 10. But sometimes i still gett the odd very dark and convective clouds, and i have no idea what causes this to happen. Still i am a strong advocate for the weather pre su7…i know it had bugs etc, but o still prefer it. They really need to make those clouds more bluish and white rather than gray.

1 Like

right now over St.Martin:

The sim just reseted all my setting for some reason :person_facepalming: so I though maybe they changed something. Nope!, still the same blurry lifeless cloudscapes. Nothing like what we previously had. Even detail and draw distance look way worse.

Absolutely maxed out settings, btw.

Over Jost Van Dike island (Virgin Islands) now:

More puffy, fsx style stuff. :sob:

Hope Asobo can fix all this, for me, the top 1 issue right now!.