Old Guys thoughts

With Xplane 11 the community actually made a substantial amount of that content… for free

MS should be calling it an Open Beta. I can tell you from my DCS experience, people will still gripe about the bugs. There is no longer such a thing as perfection when it comes to this type of software. X Plane is still buggy. The default aircraft in MSFS is head and shoulders above the default aircraft in XP which let’s be honest, no one wants to fly with exception of the 172. The sky, lighting and scenery that come as default in this sim is extraordinary and sets a new standard. Getting used to a new user interface can be confusing and I’ll admit the cameras still confuse me. It’s brand new and the potential is enormous. The default aircraft are good enough that you see many guys comparing them to payware in XP and P3d. Compare the PMDG 737 to the XP default 737…you wouldn’t.

1 Like

what the heck would make a public statement which puts it to beta better.

pretend it is, which it is and will be for a long time. like almost every piece of software around nowadays. i might have no idea about planes but work in it for 30 years now. nothing gets better, it gets worse each release. if its cisco, citrix, microsoft, sap, apple, google or oracle - doesn’t matter how big they are. they all try their - i assume - their best but fail on release.

nothing new to see here.

“Covid”…Dude, that’s a really lame excuse, the Cessna 172 has been around since the mid fifties so how would that explain the horrid and completely lame flight dynamics.

You are right the scenery is absolutely the best there is. The problem is it says “Flight Simulator” which means it should fly like a real plane. As i am an actual pilot I can tell you it is poor compared to X-Plane11

2 Likes

there are sooooo friggin many threads here where other “RL” pilots state the same but agree to the fact that the flight model of this sim isn’t even that bad on GA aircraft ?!

i just don’t get it ?! not both of you can be right :wink:

1 Like

Can confirm

way too many “I’m real life GA pilot” in here, most said the flight model is spot on for the GA’s and now NNC also a real one saying it’s bad.

I guess we have a bunch of armchair pilots in here pretending to be real life pilots with years of GA experience.

k, noticed and i won’t argue because i’ve only been a passenger aside from using sims on a computer.

still strange, though. some of those do have a reputation as i’ve “googled”.

Perhaps you ought to read the thread before you post.

They were talking about the troubles that MS have had trying to contact the airlines to get hold of the latest liveries.

didn’t care, but i followed this thread anyway, and it took a different direction since at least NNCOldCoot wrote his or her post… happens… welcome to the interwebz !

Legal departments need to give permission. Don’t be one of those guys. This is nothing at all to do with the flight dynamics, this is about liveries.

Give it time. One of the secrets to a happy live is being able to adapt to new situations.

1 Like

the game just come out and its a sim I’m sure its quite hard job to make a game like this compare to other games more coding involved, the time will bring all the good stuff. plus i cant imagine the team being as big as DICE, Activation and other you have to give them credit. And the game isn’t finished yet but with full release and all the feedback it soon will be a good and fun sim to play.

1 Like

Hello,
I experience quite a bit of “bobbing” up and down with the default Cessna 172S (G1000) variety and I have seen others mention this too. How do you find the flight dynamics? I don’t have a very good yoke right now (CH Flight sim yoke) but will upgrade to the new Honeycomb yoke and throttle soon. So even if I trim, the Cessna continues to be very up and down vertically. Sideways movement is OK and not erratic, but vertical movement is not good. Maybe it’s my yoke?

I don’t see any calibration like in X-Plane 11, where you can re-calibrate the center points of all the axes. The Cessna 172S veers left or right during take-off for no reason.

As a retired businessman(and licensed pilot) I believe we can assume that after the many hours, months, and years developing this Sim, they finally reached the end of their available funds. Or close to it.
In other words, they needed capital to continue the finished project.

I do believe that with the sales they are experiencing, that it will help them correct and finish the end product.

My hopes are that the balance of the Saitek/ Logitech addons will get the drivers they need for a better instruments experience.

My Saitek Yoke, Rudder Peddles, Trim Wheel, and TPM really make my flights enjoyable but not complete when the Switch Panel, Radio Panel, and Multipanel are not functional. (In addition the switches on the TPM do not seem to be functional)

Anyone have a clue if these items will be operable soon?

1 Like

Yes, so you are frustrated with a total lack of even an online manual too? I find it pathetic since some things are not obvious at all, though you do have some instant help explanations which help. But it would be nice to be able to have a comprehensive searchable manual to look up, for example, how to do a flight plan with their system and map. I know how to flightplan since I have experience, but the interface is not always doing what you think its doing. I did an IFR flight plan and for the approach, I saw “automatic” in the flight plan. So I assumed it had all the necessary waypoints. Well, it didn’t! It was probably a vectored approach but who knows. The “line” in the FP leads to the main point of the airport, not the landing runway, just like in FS2004 and FSX! So much for progress!

1 Like

I agree. Being some what older and a sim user for a long time, I also find it frustrating. Took me a long time to get my yoke and pedals working since they are not supported, go figure. Only to find out none of my saitek switch boards will work. It really does seem that nowadays these companies are releasing content before it is complete just for the money. Took 4 restarts to just get the sim to run and really confused on what settings do what. There is no real documentation. I got a refund today and will wait to see how this plays out. In the meantime I will stick with DCS.

That sounds like a good thing to do with your time, especially if you are into VR.

As another old guy, I too was suckered in by the eye candy. My house looks cool from 500 ft., but most of my flying is up at 10k. My x plane 11 experience is so much more realistic especially with Active Sky XP. Once I get up in the air the world scenery is not so important. Looking forward though to some good third party aircraft. The cockpit of the Arrow 200R I fly looks like a real airplane and I can get a much better performing GNS 530 with the RXP add on. These Asobo aircraft are very cartoonish looking and not a Piper among them. The Saitek Cessna trim wheel is flaky and not at all as smooth as how it performs in X plane. I can get my Saitek switch panel to work with DCS but per all the discussions it should be natively supported. One thing that is irritating is how sorry looking my home airport is. Oh the scenery that’s there is exceptional but there are no hangars! Also, there are no manned tow carts at my airport. Why is there always one of those in front of the MSFS GA aircraft? At least the third party scenery add on I purchased for X plane has a decent looking setup with hangars and with WED I was able to add a hangar with an operating door. At least I got my Foreflight connected. There are many more issues but I will stop here.