On screen popup when turning on controller

Hi, I have tried several ways of saving the default controller to a profile, but every time I restart the sim, it still pops up a message on screen asking to use default or customize, would anyone be so kind to let me know how to stop this, have tried copying the default to a named profile and saving not sure why it is not saving the profile but just keeps asking the first time when loading the sim.

The controller I use is a wireless Xbox Series x controller - wireless, auto shuts down after few mins.

Thanks.

I only get this when I connect my PS5 controller while the sim is running. Have you tried leaving it connected?

For me it only does the popup the first time when the sim is loaded, after that if I re-power on the controller, it works fine without a popup. I am wondering if there is a cfg file somewhere I can change the default profile?

Does it actually use the default profile?
I get the same popup when I plug in one of my control devices, and I always choose default, but it always stays with my bindings.
However that could also be because the device has no defaults in MSFS and so it leaves my profile.

I have an Xbox One controller that I have attached to my yoke for camera and other random controls. I used to have this problem as well. It would power down, I’d start it back up, and it would reset back to default settings every time. It would even overwrite my custom profile with default settings.

The only way I found to get around this was:

1. make sure the controller is turned on BEFORE starting MSFS to prevent profile overwrite
  2. Prevent it from shutting down by plugging it in. Wireless is a no-go with MSFS unless you’re using said controller as your main input and it won’t go to sleep.

This is the pop up and the controller settings, I have renamed Default to Xbox Controller and saved, it is the only controller that has this issu.
I have read from another website that it could be the Bluetooth adapter that is causing the issue, as when they used the official Xbox bt dongle it solved the problem, I am using a Bluetooth 5.0 dongle, would have thought would be fine as everything else works.

Would prefer to not use a cable on the controller, just trying to see if there is a fix for the issue.

I know it won’t help but Blutooth 5 has power saving functions whereas 4 basically doesn’t

I just ran into this yesterday too. I own two controllers and both assigned to my gamertag so I would like to know why I am getting the pop up message too. I can understand if one was not assigned to my profile but both are. So far only workaround was to flip default back to customized. There is so many glitches in this game I wouldn’t be surprised this is just another.

I use the wireless Xbox controller for the Drone views and I bought a cable to hardwire it to my PC, I had all those problems but they have all gone away. It’s very reliable and maintains my really slimmed down button profile. It is plugged into the PC and close at hand, the annoying wireless connection isn’t really necessary.

I reported this bug months ago. Obviously without result.

Please submit the bug as well, they need the same bug report about a thousand times before they notice

If it’s caused by your bluetooth powering down how would you expect them to fix that and have it working for those that need it? 
 If anything this is a Windows problem.

Hang on, is this on PC or XBox? If you’re talking about PC Are you connecting your Xbox controller via bluetooth? If that’s the case, I think the power-saving mode from the Windows Bluetooth setting is what’s causing it.

This is because for bluetooth hardware, when they’re not receiving any input for a while, the connection shuts off and the hardware technically disconnects with each other. Only then when you push something on the controller, it turns back on and re-establish the connection to the PC. This is why MSFS treats it as a new hardware connected, and asks you whether you want to use a customised profile, or the default profile everytime it reestablish connection.

Either get an Xbox wireless dongle, in this case, the USB will provide constant connection with the PC, so MSFS is detecting the hardware to be always connected. Or you plug your controller wired to the PC directly. Or you can go to your bluetooth advanced setting, and turn off power-saving mode. To keep them always connected. Although, this will drain your controller battery a bit more.

Even so, if you already created a customised profile for your hardware, if the sim asks you whether to choose default or customised. Choose customised, the sim is smart enough to load your custom profile that you used previously. You don’t need to re-customise it again unless you need to. Otherwise, if you choose default you’ll always going to end up with a reverted default profile.

1 Like

I’m connected via USB, what does bluetooth have to do with that? :wink:

This bug didn’t exist for the first 3 months or so, until they changed something about the controllers.

So which is “this bug” you are talking about?

The pop-up, every single time I launch the game.

‘new device detected’ implies it has never seen the device. But it did. → bug

Stop your USB controllers from turning off and you won’t have a problem. → Not bug

My controller doesn’t have on or off?

Anyway, this is a bug on their side. 100% sure.

Your USB controllers are situated in device manager on your PC not the thing in your hand.

It’s not a bug on their side. It’s working as designed.

I have a sidestick and Throttle quadrant that’s always connected via USB, and it never asks me the popup. That’s because I use Ultimate Performance on my Windows Power Plan. Only when I need to unplug the hardware and replug it, it asks the popup. And I just press Customised, and it just loads my last custom profile. No problem. But it never pops up on its own while I have everything plugged in before I start MSFS.

Even when you’re connected via USB, if your controller has a power-saving function, either from the controller itself, or even your Windows USB power management setting, it can also turn off on its own. So MSFS can’t detect there’s a hardware since Windows technically disconnects them. But when you press something on the controller, it turns on, and it reconnects to MSFS, and then the popup happens.

It most definitely is a bug
 If this is working as designed, it’s a horrible design.

Not a single game asks me again and again how I would like to configure my joystick.

The pop up is pretty clear:

‘new device detected’ (as in I have never seen this device before)

2 options:

-stick to the default I offer you (then proceeds to use my previously set settings)
-customize the settings, which loads up the settings menu

That is pretty obviously NOT behaving as it is intended.