Once you go VR, you don’t go back?

That’s terrific. Thanks for sharing your build and I’m looking forward to seeing it in action :smiley:

Would it help minimise VR motion sickness for those who experience it easily?

Thank you for sharing your DIY project, this makes a few envious people wanting to explore this too!

I’ve always thought most motion platforms software are usually doing it wrong in banking the platform when you turn, pitching the platform when you dive, etc… whereas it seems to me that they should bank/pitch the platform in order to align the simulated acceleration vector the closet as possible with the gravity vector (like in a Level D). But based on your experience I’m wondering in practice how does it effectively feel. Did you program the pitch/roll based on the acceleration vector, or based on the pitch/roll of the aircraft (or anything else, hybrid, etc…)?

After a Discord chat with a motion guru, I reprogrammed it today to take much more input from “pitch speed” and “roll speed” so those are the main components now. Those parameters are the acceleration vectors, not positions. So if I roll right, the platform pushes me right in proportion to the initial acceleration, then if fades back and very slowly (imperceptibly) returns to straight and level when acceleration stops. So I’d be inside a turn still, but platform would be level now, because the G vector would push me down in a real plane, so I’d feel almost straight. I hope I speak clearly enough, but that is what you mean about acceleration vectors, I think. This felt more natural than my previous setup. But it still felt a bit wrong that I’m level in a turn or dive once it stabilizes. So I mixed in some limited roll and pitch position too. That way when I’m in a turn, I mostly feel the accelerations, but it also rolls a bit when I’m turning and stays in a slight angle in a turn, or dive/pulling up. Not too much, just enough to feel like a turn. I think I nailed it and it feels very responsive and natural now. I also mixed a bit of sway (sideways motion) and yaw acceleration - to roll axis. And surge (forward acceleration/braking) to pitch axis. Take-off roll feels like a real acceleration, and very hard braking can snap my jaw shut if it’s open. Rudder inputs feel just enough side motion without feeling like an obvious roll, so I’m good there too. I will create a separate ground proile to exadurate pitch/roll acceleration on the ground so I feel more of the runway imperfections on take-off etc. Then some cosmetic touches, and I will publish in a separate post.

It certainly feels much more natural. So your brain is tricked to feel a much better connection to what you eyes are seeing. However you obviously can get sick in a real plane, because of all the movement. So it’s hard to say. I know that while testing the platform without VR I got sick fast. In VR - it was much better. I was doing some crazy things to nail down the parameters, and stll didn’t get sick. Not sure if it’s better with ot without a platform, but for some people it very well may be. I got strong “VR legs” so your milage may vary.

2 Likes

VR is still a no go for me however when this becomes the standard and of course cheaper I’m in.

I don’t understand the point of this post. So, you don’t like VR, why tell us? If it’s not for you then ok, but, like so many, your view is that you can’t get it running well on a 3090 so it’s no good and you have to reach for things you can’t see, sweaty face, etc, etc. All issues that are easily resolved (if your face is sweating then the headset is too tight or turn down the heating in your house, either or). Using controls is muscle memory and any touch typist will tell you that using something you don’t look at is part of the job, and as for it not being like “real life”, … huh?

If you don’t like something then you don’t like it but telling everybody else why seems pointless and smells a little bit like trolling.

1 Like

all of this, it’s not like reality but as close as you will ever get sitting in a chair with a headset on, the rest is down to your own imagination.

Meh, don’t sweat it or feed troll like comments.

I’ve been flying for over fifty years, this guy is not worth responding to. I’m old and can no longer fly and yet VR is the bee’s knees for me right now, even in its infancy. Oh, and it’s like wearing a scuba mask? Get out of it, on my first flights as a student I was wearing split lens goggles in a De Havilland Tiger Moth biplane and couldn’t see sh*t. Oh, and I flew like a clown, until I learned to fly the plane instead of it flying me.

7 Likes

Nice over-generalization. Here’s an example of some casual flight gamers:

I’m having a blast in VR lately, it’s running better than ever for me. I can’t relate to low resolution visuals at all. I can see things far more clearly in my cockpit in the G2 than I can on my 70 inch 4K TV, which just feels like watching a Youtube video when I use it.

The last couple of days I’ve flow from Bodmin in Cornwall to Compton Abbas in Dorset, visiting Stonehenge (landed next to it and spent some time sitting in amongst the stones listening to the birdsong), then flew to Salisbury Cathedral (again landing nearby and floating up to the top of the spire to chill for a few moments, and back to Compton Abbas at sunset. Tonight I’m going to fly from Compton to Popham airfield, taking in Wolvsey castle en route then flying over the Isle of Wight and Portsmouth/Southampton, landing at Southampton airport.

It’s good enough that I can truly lose myself in it, and it’s an incredibly relaxing way to spend a couple of hours. I feel like VR was made for MSFS and vice versa.

7 Likes

They would ■■■■ themselves if they had to see the handful of green pixels that passed for my first flight sim.

I agree with everything!
The sim is running great in VR for me!
Every time I fire it up I get lost and find myself staring down out of my cockpit window at the scenery.
The lighting piercing your cockpit, shining on the interior textures. Its just a whole mood in VR.
The cockpit is a virtual place…sitting on ground is a virtual place, not matter what’s going on in the outside world around you. Putting the HMD on is entering a special place where the physical presence is unreal! Where else can you sit on the beaches of St Barts or the Catalina Island City of Avalon in full stereoscopic 3D and watch the sunset and boats sway on the high tide waves?

As I’ve posted before…
Playing this sim in 2D is like looking at a candy store through the window from outside.
VR is being inside the candy store!

3 Likes

OK, as promised, here is my VR motion simulator rig, with a detailed video - demo flight, hardware and software walkthrough and everything. Design and build photos to: My DIY 2DOF Motion Platform for MSFS - adding a whole new immersion level to VR, on a budget - VIDEO

1 Like

:rofl: :joy:

It’s called expressing an opinion. Not everything is trolling. Why tell people? Why not…. Isn’t that what a forum is designed for? Honestly……

I created this post to express my feelings and opinion. I am not trolling. I think some of you need to look up the definition of trolling.

Of course a lot of you will disagree, some may even agree. That’s fine. Let’s debate it. That’s the whole point of a community forum. Some of the Nasty comments in here calling me a troll are completely un needed.
If you don’t know how to have a proper debate, then don’t bother posting a reply to my opinion. It’s as simple as that.

There is no debate, it’s not a debate if you post in a VR forum for MS2020 saying you don’t like VR in MS2020 because it makes your face hot. What is the point of that? What is that adding to any discussion? What can MS or Asobo do about your face getting hot? There are many posts along the lines of “I am no longer playing this game because…”. If you don’t want to play then don’t, if you don’t want to use VR then don’t. There isn’t anything really to debate about it, you’ve made your choice, so move on.

1 Like

This topic has ran its course and has turned into personal attacks. Closing.