Open letter: Re Update Process and the PC version

LR are in development of a new X Plane

5 Likes

Your English is fine sir !!!

You would feel a lot worse/dissapointed if you flew exclusively in vr, the graphic quality outside the plane prior update V was around 720p in my estimation. Its now less than 480 resolution, again, in my opinion.

Please invite them to fly in vr, just a brief 5 seconds will suffice and ask if thats acceptable quality ?

1 Like

I also am glad that it is fine for you, maybe, just maybe you just jumped on board and did not see the sim pre SU5 I am hoping that’s the case because you definitely are not seeing these graphical changes that were made. To you I say great, your sim is good for you, to the many others who have noticed these changes, just be understanding.

3 Likes

The only conclusion I can come up too is that there is way to much different hardware that makes a pc.
So maybe a certain combination, for instance AMD cpu with AMD gpu, don’t have any problems while Intel-Nvidia can cause problems…
The new Xbox is an all AMD platform so maybe the answer lays here…

Written beautifully and also completely how I feel and see the situation. Thank you for your efforts!

Good to hear you are having a good experience, however for some of us this latest update has resulted in a sim that will not even load into the UI let alone allow us to fly. Prior to the update my experience was good an I was enjoying the gradual improvements whether they be improved scenery or performance improvements.
Please not not read this as a personal attack - I assure this really is not the case, I’m really glad to hear the update is good for you! :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, the update once again failed complete without getting stuck and looping so nearly 9 hours of managing the update process I gave up and went to bed at nearly 2 am… the next day I tried the update again only to find once more it wanted to start right near the beginning of downloading 60+Gb of data…
I gave in and decided to re-install, again throughout my evening coming back to the PC to regularly check and manage the download process at about 1 am I decided to leave it to it and go to bed… the next day I found it had returned to the desktop… I tried to run the sim but as it has ever since it CTD’s as it about to load the UI.

Since the “update” I have spent all of my free time trying to trouble shoot and work through various processes to isolate and resolve the issue. New drivers, remove software, disable services, reboot reboot reboot… try this , try that. Try the hurried out hotfix… just the same.

Again it just feels a wall of silence from official/represented feedback as to what actions are being taken to resolve on going issues for people who been left with a completely broken sim since the latest update - I am not talking about personal opinions or gripes about changes… I mean NOT being able to even get the sim to load.

I have severe doubts a clean install and hours of waiting/watching will actually resolve the issue. I am also not convinced even an extremely drastic action of a full windows re-install is worthwhile or quite frankly is justified to fix problems caused by this update.
My PC is a new self-build that I intentionally keep free of additional software and Apps that just cause issues. I do not know what else I can do to fix these issues - I would like to see a bit more of a proactive response from Asobo/MS.

5 Likes

One idea would be the option of rolling back to a previous version. Yeah, I can see the possible problems, but it shouldn’t be beyond the wit of man.

Anyway, good post, OP.

1 Like

I noticed the described narrow draw distance in high terrain areas without photogrammetry. But that does not mean they necessarily did it on purpose. I suppose many Zendesk tickets were sent regarding this regression.

1 Like

So … Yes, a well written piece, full of good ideas and sensible requests and suggestions.

Getting a bit fed up now with all these rants and ‘going back to X-Plane threats’ (gets pretty depressing and annoying after a bit) but I fully applaud and agree with almost all you have said. There is a lot of good things which ASOBO have done but not withstanding this there are a heck of a lot of things which are not great. In many respects they don’t seem to be learning from their mistakes and keep doggedly repeating their bad practices with each and every update.

Well done! :slightly_smiling_face:

I don’t know if you could put this in the voting section but if you could I would very happily give you my vote and I suspect there would be others too who would also lend their support.

I think this would be a great approach in conjuction with slapping in Zendesk tickets (do these really get followed up or just get ‘lost’?) and much better than having multiple threads and abusive rants.

Thanks a lot :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

When they announced the beta they specifically stated that ppl who participated would not be able to roll back due to conflict issues. So if anything I’m guessing even if they wanted provide that option, they probably wouldn’t be able to pull it off without even more major changes. That’s my guess anyway as to why that wouldn’t work in this specific instance.

1 Like

I think this post is important because it points out that we are assuming a whole lot about what they did and if it’s in purpose or not. One could also argue this is exactly why good release notes are very important.

3 Likes

Exactly, the lack of decent patch notes is an issue here.

Untill we know exactly what they changed well be playing the guessing game for a while.

I really hope asobo can improve on that part.

7 Likes

Well written mate, i totally agree.
I am a bit more emotional/edgy so i can’t write such threads haha.

I’m extremely dissapointed and quite sad we still haven’t reached a somewhat stable sim that runs well with graphics to match it up.

1 Like

The world doesn’t look as outstanding as it did before after SU5 anymore. I ask myself for what reason I should need a WU6 now? Germany looks like a landclass scenery from above now, nothing can be recognized as it was before.
Maybe I’ll start using my spare time for other things now :(.

5 Likes

Thank you for creating this open letter.
If I may offer a suggestion:
You’re right about patch notes of course, but I think we need a proper detailed wiki for MSFS. I don’t know that it exists, if it does please let me know.

A proper detailed wiki site can be a repository and reference for patch notes, technical documents, contributions from the community, etc.
It can be incrementally fed by Asobo and MS people, and also by knowledgeable MSFS users.

I use Arch Linux as a desktop platform, the way they did their wiki is the reason why a lot of people flock to this flavor of Linux.

I thought maybe, it would be something you could add to your open letter if that’s something you find interesting.

9 Likes

An MSFS wiki is a good idea :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I featured your post in the OT, down at the featured comments list!

If thats not OK let me know.

1 Like

Great idea!

2 Likes

Sure, thank you.

Lovely, but those claiming it’s all great should give their computer specs!
Not helpful here if we don’t know exactly why.
So many on this forum just brag or complain without providing their info. So one could presume that perhaps they’re not being very truthful??
Thx :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes