Open letter: Re Update Process and the PC version

So we pretty much have confirmed now that PC Lods have been halved pretty much and a CFG tweak is required to bring it back to previous levels.

Prior to SU5, Ultra basically would see the same as LOD Range 400-500. Now its effectively 50%

Hopefully this is a bug.

6 Likes

Agreed, +1

I, as well as many of my YT subs, are still getting CTDs from the world map even after the SU5 hotfix. Still obviously stuff that needs to be fixed by Asobo.

I have a decent system and for the last 2 months after buying the 6900xt couldn’t fly for more than 5 minutes without a CTD. Now I’ve not had one CTD after this SU5 and the hotfix.

So you see it’s not everyone having issues.

Some of us are now able to enjoy our flights in vr and 2d without the crashing.

My system
5800x
6900xt
Gigabyte x570
Gskill 4000mhz 64 gigs
Nvme x2
Windows 10 21H1

Give them time to sort it out.

Exactly what I experience.

Please consider that MS is getting a huge cut of products sold in the in-game store. This is important to the business model, it’s called up-sales. First you buy the gateway drug, the platform itself for a fair amount. After that the hope is that you will keep on purchasing add-ons.

From that perspective, I firmly believe that MS is serious about creating a multi platform simulator game.

However, we have to keep in mind that for non-shooter flying games, arcade and simulator have not been successfully married for at least the last 15 years. They diverged into separate streams.

The other thing is that high end PC simulators have never been married with a console game.

As you can see, Asobo is trying to marry console with high end PC with arcade with simulator (a threesome). Different audiences, different requirements, different expectations, different products really.

The past has shown us that such hybrids didn’t work, maybe this time it will be different…

Well there be answer from asobo?

Oh my lord…

2 Likes

Not many games out there that produce updates a year after product release. Most games and sims release a new version and charge for it. I’m sure that’s coming in time, as it takes revenue to keep the lights on and programmers working.

Many people don’t do good with change. Learn to embrace it and provide feedback and working with them. You can also learn to work with what you have.

Crying and stomping your feet (no one specific), doesn’t get you very far.
We have a great sim, but there are some with ctd issues. It’s the nature of the beast with pc’s where there are hundreds of hardware combinations. It’s a lot harder to balance things to work for everyone.
Throw in the fact that there are a lot of 3rd party add one that don’t make it any easier.

1 Like

Well, you did a great job with this post and managed to put on the page what many of us are feeling. Well said.

2 Likes

You see it a lot flying in rural africa. It’s not all tree’s/foliage, some seem pre-placed and some appear and disappear before your eyes.
The drop in draw distance/detail is tangible also especially if you have been flying for a while into and out of marginal bush strips. These can be hard enough to identify anyway but now the loss of details makes it a real pig.

3 Likes

Well, I have worked one thing out. Get rid of all the modified aircraft ie Fly by wire A320, Salty 747-800 etc and the sim will revert to the stock aircraft that appear to have had some work done to them since the original release. They work quite well. Not sure how the third party developers who spent so much time modifying these original aircraft to make them flyable will feel about this.

2 Likes

Correct. Prior to every new big update the whole community folder should be emptied.
I tested this out yesterday evening with placing ( incompatible to update 5) 3th party stuff in the folder and the game crashed constantly.
This is simply due to compatibility issues and should therefore be corrected bij the 3th party developer and NOT by Asobo…

Hi,
You really have some valid points here, the only thing that bothers me is that this post (and many others on this forum) are addressed at ASOBO.
Did we not buy this game from Microsoft, it is not ASOBO Flight Simulator.
All releases/patches/updates are under the responsibility of Microsoft and they get our money.
Jorg Neumann is the one responsible for MSFS with Microsoft. Should we not address him?
Or at least expect a reaction from him?. i followed the Q&A’s he seems to be a reasonable guy to me.

My opinion with MSFS is that MS bit of more than they can chew with MSFS they should take smaller bites.

1 Like

Since the update, I can no longer play, I arrive on the world map or when loading the game goes off towards the office! Even with their patches nothing works.

Install/Uninstall, Steam “check game caches” (it makes me download the whole game every time). Update my computer, drivers, …

The purpose of an update is to improve the player experience not decrease it

1 Like

I do understand such kind of feedback for anybody that consider this as an usual game, not being happy with changes to their original purchase and complain.

However, for those who consider this as a hobby since years and intend to continue for the foreseeable future I can only wonder.

The only consequence is that Asobo/MS will not any longer make any Statement on their roadmap and stop changing/improving the platform. This cannot be in the interest of the community at all.

I treat this like any good relationship: I do not understand each and every decision, I accept compromises, I have trust and hope together for a brighter future…

Hi Hamltnblue I bought the Elite package as I knew the amount of resources and expense was large to develop MSFS2020. I went the PC route just for MSFS. I’m sure they’ve sold a few XBOX/S off the back of the sim now and will continue to. More revenue stream. The Marketplace will be immense and this will be the lights on/overheads and revenue stream for years to come. Jorg said the will standby the Sim for 10yrs. That’s some feat so there’s lots more to come. Happy flying into 2030

You’re right, MS gave Asobo the ingredients and they try to cook a “meal” as tasty as possible…

I agree. Since the latest upgrade: Time to load has increased significantly. Many of the flights I try and set up hang during the flight preparation phase. Progress bar roughly 1/2 way. Seems to affect ORBX airport addons such as southend and london city. I had just got used to the UI interaction with the autopilot height control on the a320. Now appalling in my view. I have stopped using the simulation. Waited nearly 4 hours for the patches to download (why so bug with each patch?). Then waited to download marketplace patches. Then waited longer to load the simulation. Then one in two times after a long wait the simulation “hangs” when clicking on Go Fly. Previous patches all worked fine. Except for the Orbx (London) addons which were later patched.

Thank you for your well written clear and concise Post.
Regarding ,…Graphics/Post-processing completely changed - On PC the image exposure settings changed, shadows are drawn differently and a highly aggressive sharpening filter is drawn. The only way to adjust this currently is via the usercfg

Bears of Little Brain need some advice as to how to make thses changes to the Usercfg.

Kind Regards to All in these ‘turbulent’ times.