Open up communications with Reality-XP

MSFS AP seems to acts as expected to me.

You can put a small pressure on the yoke, and the plane will reacts to it.
So will the AP, and try to correct for that small offset.
If that yoke force is excessive, or too persistent, the AP will start to reach end stops, and detecting this, disconnect.

So, as in RL, a quick, moderate force on the Yoke, when the AP is on, will (should) disconnect the AP

1 Like

In my experience, the “too persistent” part causes the problems… a small control input (like a slightly miscalibrated controller) can over time, cause the autopilot to put me into a spiral dive, without DISCONNECTING!

Are you sure you see a disconnect?

Edit: I just did a test flight in the Bonanza NAV/ALT hold on the autopilot.
If I nudge the yoke a bit, the airplane reacts, the AP corrects, and if I hold the yoke position, the AP reaches its limit and puts me into a spiral dive, without disconnecting.
If I move the yoke violently, the AP disconnects.

Full disclosure: I use FSUIPC for the yoke (so I can calibrate it in flight), but I had the problem before and am using FSUIPC to overcome it… if that makes sense…

1 Like

As best I can tell (as you can see above) I do not believe the AP in MSFS is the same as the AP in FSX/P3D… Are we simply dealing with a new (and as yet imperfectly implemented) system here?

2 Likes

Ref: GA autopilots

I have experienced the SPIRAL DIVE as well, but it seems in a slightly different way.

My “impression” from past exposure to the “Dives” is that the AP can get into a locked up state, where it is probably at some limit, and then, even if you turn the AP OFF, and you regain control of the plane, and then wait with it trimmed nicely, for however long, as soon as you re-engage the AP, it roll into an immediate dive.

This is very similar to what would happen if REAL WORLD, if the AP Gyros were “toppled” and unable to recover.

In the sim, even turning off the AP, the Avionics, or even a complete battery/alternator power, the AP will never recover.

The ONLY way I have found to recover in SIM Flight, is to reload the plane, and often initially with a plane that does not have that specific AP, and then the original plane. (by the Dev Panel)

This gyro topple effect, even happens when all DAMAGE is turned off.

From what I can perceive, as a User, something in the AP’s Kernel code is “locking up” – but only Asobo (or maybe soon WT !!!) can get into that Kernel code, and see what is really happening.

1 Like

That is consistent with my observation, where the miscalibrated aileron controls persistently introduce a signal which is accumulated as the AP is compensating, until a limit is reached…

My guess: There is some Integral function that keeps adding until it maxes out…

2 Likes

Exactly, and there is no code to zero out those Integral values, even when the Power is removed from the AP. ( Potentially a few simple lines of code, and no more Deep Dives !!)

1 Like

This is just a little post to let you know I’m a little late posting my thoughts about this, from what I initially intended, but I’ll do in the coming days max.

Thank you all for your feedback in the meantime, it is really great, and I find this interesting for many different reasons I’ll make sure to explain. I’m glad we can further this discussion and exchange about these lower conceptual topics rooted in the core implementation, because these are affecting both WASM and JS layers alike, therefore should help every 3rd party dev.

PS: IIRC I might have read in the past the A/P disconnection with control input is now using velocity instead of deviation. If this is the case I believe this is to try recreating the idea of applying a stronger deflection force (represented by speed therefore in this case). This would fit in line with the other controller input filtering added in FS2020 which if I understand correctly were added to “simulate” the control surfaces forces opposing the control input forces. In other words, the faster you fly, the smaller the effective control surface deflection in FS2020 for the same yoke deflection. Some people are not liking it at all and would rather have a proper FFB support for this, some probably don’t notice or care either, but it just seems to me again whatever your preferences are, you have no choice?!

1 Like

i hope this post will be use to give us some feeback (from both side) about this (hypotetic) new collaboration and some goods news about sim enhancement and team working with 3rd party dev, not only RXP.

2 Likes

As a potential customer of 3rd party developer products, and having to decide where to spend my money, and on what addon products, I would find it of great help if I knew which 3rd part developers are “being actively supported”

ie To be able to see a list of some of the Major 3rd party developers, and if they are in communication with and able to get technical assistance from:

• Aobo
  • Microsoft
  • Other (ie WT) if that is a viable option ?

It would appear that some are claiming they cannot produce their products, because lack of support and technical information they need wrt MSFS and it’s SDK.

2 Likes

On previous FS/P3D, my list is
A2A, Milviz and Realair for aicraft
Hifi for weather, REX for cloud texture and weather radar
RXP for GTN/GNS/Gauges/Weather radar (under FSX)
F1 for AI (Ultimate Traffic 2) and GNS/GTN (before RXP)
ORBX and FranceVFR for scenery
Aerosoft for Scenery and Aircraft.

2 Likes

I’m following up with my question about the autopilot system.

To recap, I was explaining:

Let me stress this is not a trap question either. I’ve been asking myself this for quite some time.

So here is the question again:

considering nearly all autopilot systems boil down in the end to just the same 4 controllers I’ve listed above, why is it 3rd party vendors have to rewrite their own autopilot system?

There has been different and interesting comments and none are about what I was thinking about. This has been my job for 20 years among 15 different simulator version over 2 major simulator platforms and I guess this explains why I’m looking at these questions in a radically different angle. But I’m also dealing with these SDK questions everyday in order to deliver the most authentic experience to my professional customers.

Your comments:

First and foremost I believe it is essential differentiating the functional part and the logical part. The functional part for this discussion is the internal 4 blocks controlling the surfaces and the throttle. The logical part is the operating modes or the state machine. Let’s just keep it simple for now like this.

@N6722C is saying the issue might be due to lack of SDK documentation about the data sources which are used in the autopilot system. He is also mentioning the 100ft fixed increment.

Both are somewhat related to me and it is possible this is one of the reason it is making it harder for 3rd party to use and why they are better off reimplementing theirs.

I’d venture to say what matters the most to me in your example, is not so much knowing which Baro source is feeding the autopilot, or which fixed value the increment is. In my opinion what matters is how 3rd party could override the Baro source data and the increment value so that the autopilot could be made functioning like the one they want. For example if an aircraft can have 2 different Baro source data for the autopilot, it would be best the SDK allows setting the autopilot Baro data directly. This can be in the form of the source, or the data value directly, and here there are 2 schools of thoughts but I’ll come back to this later.

@CristiNeagu is saying the issue might be due to the lack of direct access to the PIDs.

The PIDs are accessible and actually are configurable in the aircraft config files. Now if the question is to adjust the PIDs at runtime to make them behaving differently it might be interesting indeed to be able to also override their initial settings, and to reset them at runtime, via the SDK. I don’t think this is the most important factor preventing using them in any complex aircraft but this would be added bonus if needed and honestly, I don’t think this is highly complex to implement as an API. These PIDs instances are well known at runtime and there are only a handful of parameters to set them up.

@Bishop398 is offering a different point of view which I find interesting as well.

What you’re describing Matt, if I’m not mistaken, is actually how you’ve implemented it in the CJ4. We came to the same conclusions and workaround 20 years ago when we implemented our first Appolo GPS and shortly after with our first Garmin GNS simulation back in 2003. However we quickly realized it was not the right way nor the one delivering on the promises and we changed our approach in adding into the core simulator the code which is missing.

The solution you’re actively working on, offering access to these simvars, is making sense to me from a middleware perspective to flight simulator and the SDK. However from my experience as 3rd party vendor dealing with such questions, I believe this is missing the point and the root cause and how to deal with it from an SDK perspective. I’m not saying you’re wrong in your approach though, I’ll try explaining below.

So here we are, and my take on this question.

It is important to understand what I’m saying below is about flight simulator prior FS2020. I don’t know whether they changed much the implementation but from the look of the SDK and the bugs and problems other 3rd party vendors are sharing with me, I’d guess this is more or less the same in essence. But regardless, the main point is not there, not entirely at least!

The FS autopilot is based on a certain model of autopilot, historically the Bendik King. And the SDK is based on a certain view of the 3rd party vendors needs, which consists in offering access to ready-to-display values and to ready-to-process events.

I might loose some of you reading this because it takes dealing in gauge development to know what this means, but in short, the SDK is giving back the value you’d display in the autopilot readout, and the event corresponding to pressing a button on the autopilot to change modes. In other words, it was meant and designed to eliminate the need to programming the autopilot from a visible and interactive gauge standpoint: just read simvars and display, and just intercept mouse and send event.

And this is where it gets interesting to me.

The FS autopilot system is internally coded no differently than a state machine and a set of controllers (PIDs). The events are changing the state, and the controllers are updated depending on the active state(s). If you dig deeper, you realize the core autopilot update loop/callback is actually selectively changing the state machine based on conditions (for example, ALT CAPTURE is armed and diff alt is less than 100ft, it switches to ALT HOLD). What is even more interesting is that the actual FS implementation in code is really well decoupled: on one hand the state machine changes modes, on the other hand the modes which are engaged are updating the PIDs.

So what does this has anything to do with 3rd party having to do their own autopilots?

I’ll spare you the question of double loops and other similar complexities which are a factor. But in the end, any custom autopilot will be built atop at least the same 4 PIDs and controllers and the same state machine principle. The problem here, is that FS SDK is not exposing the autopilot core components (the implementation), it is instead exposing only the logical view of a Bendix King.

To illustrate, here is some of the actual internal FS code (redacted):

Helper function to update the autopilot “sensor” data:

void Autopilot::UpdateInput()
{
  this->input.vs = ...
  this->input.alt = ...
  this->input.ptch = pSimObject->GetPitch(this->params->attitudeIndicator);
  this->input.bank = pSimObject->GetRoll(this->params->attitudeIndicator);
  this->input.speed = ...
  this->input.mach = ...
  [...]
}

Handling autopilot internal state modes changes:

void Autopilot::SetModes(OTO_MODE_ENUM mode, int enable) {

UpdateInput();

[...]

else if ( mode > OTO_MODE_GLIDESLOPE_HOLD )
    {
      if ( mode > OTO_MODE_VS_HOLD )
      {
        if ( mode == OTO_MODE_HEADINDG_LOCK )
        {
          if ( enable )
          {
            SetModes(OTO_MODE_ON, 1);
            is_backcourse = 0;
			modes &= ~ (OTO_MODE_BANK_HOLD | OTO_MODE_ATTITUDE_HOLD | OTO_MODE_WING_LEVELER | OTO_MODE_NAV_HOLD);
            modes |= OTO_MODE_HEADINDG_LOCK;
          }
          else
          {
            modes &= ~OTO_MODE_HEADINDG_LOCK;
          }
        }
        else if ( mode == OTO_MODE_NAV_HOLD )
        {
          if ( enable )
          {
            SetModes(OTO_MODE_ON, 1);
			modes &= ~(OTO_MODE_BANK_HOLD | OTO_MODE_ATTITUDE_HOLD | OTO_MODE_WING_LEVELER | OTO_MODE_NAV | OTO_MODE_HEADING_LOCK);
            modes |= OTO_MODE_NAV_HOLD;
          }
          else
          {
            modes &= ~OTO_MODE_NAV_HOLD;
          }
        }
      }

[...]

}

Handling autopilot SDK Events (logical autopilot events as if it is a Bendix King):

void Autopilot::HandleEvent(unsigned int event, int v1, int v2) {
 [...]

switch ( event )
      {
        case KEY_AP_PANEL_ALTITUDE_ON:
          SetModes(OTO_MODE_ALTITUDE_CAPT, 1);
          return;

case KEY_AP_PANEL_ALTITUDE_OFF:
          SetModes(OTO_MODE_ALTITUDE_CAPT, 0);
          SetModes(OTO_MODE_ALTITUDE_HOLD, 0);
          return;

case KEY_AP_PANEL_ALTITUDE_SET:
          SetModes(OTO_MODE_ALTITUDE_CAPT, v2);
          return;

case KEY_AP_PANEL_HEADING_ON:
          SetModes(OTO_MODE_HEADINDG_LOCK, 1);
          return;

[...]

case KEY_AP_NAV1_HOLD:
          if ( !(modes & OTO_MODE_NAV) || is_approach )
            HandleEvent(KEY_AP_NAV1_HOLD_ON, v1, v2);
          else
            HandleEvent(KEY_AP_NAV1_HOLD_OFF, v1, v2);
          return;

case KEY_AP_NAV1_HOLD_ON:
          SetModes(OTO_MODE_NAV_CAPT, 1);
          is_approach = 0;
          is_backcourse = 0;
		  return;

[...]

}

And the last piece is the main autopilot update function:

• It is basically updating pitch, bank, cws, yaw damper, throttles.
  • It is updating the controllers depending on the actual internal state modes (see SetModes)
  • The PIDs are updated with the difference between the target and the actual value (delta error)
  • It is also updating the state machine, mostly for handling arm → engaged transitions.

And here we are back to the initial question, and why Matt I’m saying the middleware solution might not be the right one. As you can see, the FS code is already perfectly capable of handling the basic 4 controllers exactly like any other 3rd party vendor would implement their own.

However there are a number of different problems with this and the SDK.

1. the internal state machine and the mode changes is based on a Bendix King.
    For example, in HandleEvent() above, KEY_AP_NAV1_HOLD_ON is actually disabling is_approach and is_backcourse. But what if another 3rd party autopilot, say hypothetically a STEC 55X shouldn’t disarm/disable these specific alternate logic flags when setting NAV_HOLD_ON?

2. the internal state machine is not directly accessible through the SDK.
    The only way to “arm” or “engage” a mode is to follow the Bendik King logic which is hard coded in the HandleEvent() function. You can’t selectively arm or engage any mode by your own logic.

3. the autopilot input is based on the simvars
    There is no way to set the autopilot source data than what is hard coded in the simulator. In practice these are not just the actual simvars, some of the source data come from other internal data.

4. the autopilot NAV mode is hard coded for the internal radio based nav signal or the internal gps data.
    there is no way to set other nav source data you might need to simulate whatever operating mode a 3rd party autopilot would require. Furthermore, when the source is the GPS, it is hard coded to ignore the vertical deviation because the stock GPS doesn’t support vertical guidance.

NB: this is about all the other FS versions, not FS2020, but I suspect a lot of the above is nearly as-is in FS2020 like I said at the beginning.

Therefore what am I suggesting?

This autopilot question and the description I’ve given above is just a small glimpse of the state of the SDK.

Most things in the SDK are thought and implemented in nearly the same way:

• the simulator was developed with a certain number of features
  • the SDK is just a bridge to accessing these features from a logical standpoint.

However this is not what 3rd party vendors need, not always. In this particular case of the autopilot, what is needed in my opinion is not giving additional write access to some of the hard-coded simvars. Instead 3rd party developers need the SDK which permits overriding the state machine, and the source data.

The code is already there: in giving access to tell FS to no update the state machine, and in letting 3rd party set/clear the individual state machine bits (OTO_MODE_XXX) like in SetModes(), and keep the rest as-is, the autopilot update code would just pick up any arm and engaged bits which are set, and would just update the stock autopilot PID controllers accordingly.

I believe if 3rd party would have had access to the autopilot internal state machine like this, most wouldn’t need to build their own custom autopilots. Be it a STEC, a Bendik King, a Garmin or whatever, it is just a matter of updating the state machine arm/engaged modes according to this or that specific autopilot user facing logical view.

What is paramount in any autopilot is a robust PID update code and controllers actuating the simulated control surfaces, and since the internal autopilot update is done in sync with the simulator update loop, it is a better place to prevent any form of lag or oscillation than any 3rd party code running out of sync.

More complex autopilots with dual loops or anything exotic could still be using this core autopilot component as the last line of controllers to the control surfaces. A wanted addition would be of course the capability to also lock the control surfaces in order to simulate for example servo failures, but if you have access to the individual bits of the state machine you can easily disable the mode which would control the surface as well.

Now what I said above might be completely unintelligible to some of you reading it, but what is important with all this to me is that there are a number of problems which can’t be solved from the outside-in, and only a few 3rd party developers know these deep implementation details, the others never had to deal with them directly but are often suffering from the SDK not giving access to these details.

In addition I shall add the X-Plane SDK gives 3rd party devs access to these internal state machine bits and this makes a whole lot difference in the capability to implementing a custom autopilot in practice.

Hope this helps!

13 Likes

@CptLucky8

Now that we’re in direct contact, I don’t know that the forums are the appropriate place to hash out technicalities. Nonetheless, we’re not saying anything different, really.

The FS autopilot does indeed model only a certain type of AP with its own state machine logic, and as such, even controlling the state machine directly does not guarantee you can model the states that your autopilot needs, because there are a limited number of states the internal sim AP can be in. For example, there is no state in the sim for NAV mode being just armed, nor is there anything relating to various combinatory VNAV states (VPATH active + GP armed, for example). So, the goal here is to move the AP state machine out to the avionics, and let the avionics decide which sim AP mode is most appropriate given the situation. It might just be bank and pitch, even.

This is fully accomplishable by the method described without having to expose internal state bits that may change over time. The external facing API surface of the AP should have implementation details hidden from it, just like any other good programming interface, so it feels like the actual modes themselves are the appropriate level of abstraction (and serve the same purpose).

I can understand wanting to disable state transitions. That’s something we can look at, but of course always carries the risk of breaking something along the way.

-Matt | Working Title

1 Like

Now, granted, i’m not coming from a background of developing for flight simulator, so i may be completely ignorant here, but it seems to me like all you said is even more reason to allow the avionics to access the PIDs directly. Certainly, those will never change. Not only do they sounds pretty well implemented from what @CptLucky8 said, but there isn’t much you can change about a PID so it’s not like it will gain or lose functionality.

What is so wrong with allowing the avionics of a plane (avionics which could be all hand coded by the developer) to talk directly with the PIDs?

I really really wish I could tell you, because I’m saying you will be able to.

You want to drive the pitch and roll PIDs directly? No problem. Stick it in pitch and roll hold and write to the pitch hold ref and roll hold ref simvars.

Meanwhile, you can advertise that you’re in any mode you want by writing to any AP mode simvar.

-Matt | Working Title

@Matt, I think we, as 3rd party devs, would very much appreciate keeping this in the forums. That way we can ALL see what’s going on.

9 Likes

Beat me to it … as you say, so “That way we can ALL see what’s going on” – the reasons why, and the chance to contribute and express our needs as developers.

Sure, but this topic is about opening up comms with RXP, which thankfully, we now have!

For third party dev to sim team back and forth, if you have access to the third party dev forum, that’s more the place for these generic topics, or the very soon upcoming answer hub (which will not have limited access), where you’ll be able to ask questions and get dev and community answers. And I’m always happy to answer inquiries on the WT Discord.

But long back and forth API details with enormous missives here are not going to be hugely productive nor is it really a scalable answer to the feedback issue. I can’t physically answer these massive questions and also code the things people are asking for both.

-Matt | Working Title

I would argue that this is about opening coms with RXP. We would all like to know how that is progressing, what kind of issues you are working on together, and how is his knowledge being put to use in delivering a better simulator for everyone.

Also, none of those things have been made clear in this topic, btw. What has been discussed? Are Seb, Martial, Jorg aware of this? Have they sat down for a chat with @CptLucky8?

At the end of the day, RXP is not under the first party dev umbrella, and trainer based external program solutions are not presently approved for the marketplace, so as such RXP is not a third party partner. If RXP was producing content using a different paradigm, this would of course be a different story. So it would not be appropriate for me or for anyone to make any promises as to bringing Jean-Luc on as some type of collaborator. Also, I obviously cannot comment here directly on any internal discussions.

Jean-Luc and a few of the WT folks had a lengthy meeting in which we we were told much about the backstory of RXP and of the old simulator dev experience, as well as a great deal on a good number of the topics you have seen Jean-Luc write about here many times. I don’t know that I would classify it as a back and forth, per se, but it was very informative and I thank Jean-Luc for that.

Jean-Luc has provided us with some technical details of his desired solutions, and as you can see, we have already been thinking about some of the autopilot and simvar overriding topics. He has also expressed a desire for a high-speed IPC, in order to move large amounts of data into the sim (read pixel data) which would include atomic read/write functions.

As I promised him, we will discuss it within the FS team (Seb, Martial, Jorg, ourselves) and decide where and if those features fit into the roadmap and overall vision of the sim, and get back when there’s something to report there. Thankfully, Jean-Luc was also clear that there are plenty of folks continuing to enter the RXP ecosystem on other simulators, and that his overriding concern instead is less RXP than it is a quality experience for the end user; like most things, we greatly agree there.

-Matt | Working Title

7 Likes

@Matt, you have a job in diplomacy somewhere in your future…

2 Likes