Open up the weather system WRITE access to 3rd party devs

Yes they changed the data that should form those clouds. The weather system will be as good or bad as the weather data they use to render the clouds/weather.

What i’ve noticed since release of su7 is that weather looks mostly the same everywhere.

Well, maybe those 3rd party addons will make it more accurate to those METAR but i’m not that sure they will increase the realistic behaviour of weather.

I also have realised as long as we need the weather fixed to those METAR we can’t have realistic weather.

Many says DCS weather has the most realistic weather and that doesn’t need to match METAR right? Does that means it’s not a flight simulator?

I think it’s like this, we either preffer a more realistic behaving weather or we preffer a more accurate weather. Can’t have both at the same time.

I preffered the weather when we had only Meteoblue in use. It were maybe less accurate but much more realistic behaviour.

7 Likes

This was fixed in the last update

Is Asobo going to reconsider the wx API so aircraft can finally get weather radar? Or is that still off the list for now? I wish they’d open it up, but I know they probably won’t for a while.

This was already fixed with the SU11 update.

• The sun disc is no longer visible through thick clouds (does not affect overall lighting conditions).

I just tested this, and it’s still an issue. I’ve got the clouds thick enough here that you can’t see the wing tip, but the sun just bleeds right through anyway.

5 Likes

Let’s go Asobo, let’s go Microsoft, let’s see some third-party weather API access… I’d much rather just use ActiveSky since it’s what I’m used to and comfortable with anyway. Since SU6 there’s barely been a month where there weren’t major live weather issues… 200kt winds…2000kt winds…120c outside temperatures… winds shifting random directions… Come on…

Tired of having to use imperfect solutions (Constantly changing presets, or using RexWF) to fix weather just to fly in a half-realistic manner.

13 Likes

I saw the exact same thing as this briefly this morning at EGHI, when there was a narrow window where I had accurate live weather. Sun clearly visible through thick clouds.

1 Like

The odd thing, is that as far as I could gather from reading over the SDK forums, there ARE built in functions for manipulating the exact shape and position of individual clouds. That means, the system really IS all that flexible.

What befuddles us all, is why oh why is this set of tools open only for use in missions/activities.

What reason is there for denying external access to these capabilities? The wonderful things one could do with them, I can only imagine.

This is exactly what we’re talking about when we ask for a Write-Only WX API.

That is: The means for external apps to specifically position and adjust clouds directly as they appear in the sim, and not be stuck with preset files as a makeshift (and entirely unsatisfactory) interface

5 Likes

Weather MUST be No1 priority from now on until permanently fixed. Either by MS/Asobo, either form 3rd party devs.

Who really cares to fly under false condition?

7 Likes

I’m tired of saying that we need a proper visibility slider, a proper variety of clouds, we don’t have real TCU, CB, nor high level clouds like CI, CS, CC, and those were simulated in FSX (2007) c’mon…
Asobo is thinking just about city updates rather than wx updates.

5 Likes

I don’t think anything could ever be permanently fixed. With an online sim like this there are far too many interdependent parts that make up the whole, and any one link in the chain can break things. Asking for 100% infallible Azure servers is an unrealistic proposition.

What we could reasonably ask for is that lessons be learned, fixes be logged, and if anything happens in future they can refer to these cases for a more speedy resolution.

Chances are this can, and will, happen again.

Do these functions work? Can I right now create a mission that has a hand crafted thunderstorm to my own specifications and design? That’s already hugely helpful for creating specific scenarios.

Only reason I still fire up p3d (aside from flying some addon planes which are coming to msfs but aren’t here yet) is because msfs doesn’t have a weather radar. The immersion is simply not there when flying an airliner and not being able to deviate around storms.

It was a big rhetorical question:

Stay at the stone age and P3D or move to the new age even the problems?

For me, there is no such a question.

So happy to see this finally getting another push. I remember a couple of months ago when I begged for Asobo to reconsider opening up the weather portion to allow 3rd party devs to implement their own weather engines. It seemed that the community lost hope on it that I decided to leave it alone. Fast forward to now and seeing everyone talking about again with an updated title leaves me with high hopes again. I feel if this garners a lot of more attention and upvotes, and if HiFi and REX are able to make Asobo consider changing their minds, this can do great things for the community.

Here is to hoping that this reaches the right people at Asobo and the reconsider their decision to deliver a API that will allow 3rd party devs WRITE only access to the weather.

5 Likes

For me that’s a big NO … at least not for live weather, Asobo are doing fine with what must be a very, very complicated, painfully slow undertaking and with the help of some of Microsoft’s best engineers that outside developers just wouldn’t get. Rome was not built in a day.

1 Like

I noted on the Feedback Snapshot that opening up the weather system is still ‘Not planned’ (and I personally assume that will never change) but historical weather is ‘under investigation’ which is at least one small note of hope.

3 Likes

On that account, the issue about Metar Injection ruining the continuity of cloud formations is marked as “Bug Logged” but is still entirely missing from that snapshot list.

I’ve more or less concluded that they don’t keep that list so tightly updated as all that, so things on or off it may not match actual development priorities at any given time…

I wouldn’t draw any conclusions from what shows up on those snapshots. They seem to refresh those only once every month or so, whereas the forum staff trawls the forums almost continuously.

to quote Asimov:
THERE IS AS OF YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER

2 Likes

It would be great if Asobo could open up the weather system for other developers in the near future.

7 Likes

How does enabling access by third parties to give different options to simmers affect what you and others like about the Asobo representation? Why would that be “a big NO”?

The greatest example of a failing, despite whatever you think about the graphical representations as such (and I’m in the camp that the limited representations of weather/clouds could be improved), is New Zealand, where Meteoblue’s data seems to be limited to less than a handful of sources, at least as far as MS/Asobo are using that data. The representation of weather in the South Island always looks like it’s the middle of winter, even in summer.

Wouldn’t it be great, if we wanted to and if it was important to us, to have an option that offered choices as far how weather is rendered, added historical weather, etc?

4 Likes