Open up the weather system WRITE access to 3rd party devs

Because live weather is fickle enough as it is. I don’t want to have to pay a 3PD just to make it work. Not to mention it has never been attempted before on a world scale.

1 Like

Why do you have to pay a third party if you don’t want to? Why would your weather be more fickle if you don’t use a third party product to influence that the sim is giving you? Your answer would seem to indicate that you believe that addition of an API/SDK would somehow create instability for the system.

3 Likes

I could only foresee chaos. I have no such objections to presets

Haha - I agree on the chaos possibility, but it should only affect those of us wanting to try out other options!

As for presets, those are such a lame solution. You have to cycle through how many to find the one you like, all the time having your plane bounce up and down because of barometric pressure changes and then you have to inevitably change it again if your flight is of any moderate distance.

There’s an active discussion on AVSIM about this topic and the president of HiFi (Active Sky) has added some thoughts on being locked out of MSFS. Here is a link to a post about some of the capabilities they’d love to bring to MSFS: Active Sky faced difficulties in bringing the meteorological - Page 5 - Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - The AVSIM Community

3 Likes

Yes and all very good and valid however MS/Asobo must have very good reasons for wanting to keep it in house. Maybe in conjunction with MS’s new satellite technology or the future Metaverse but I feel it would at least need to be done in partnership so still no public SDK.

I agree that the weather API should remain inaccessible by third parties. The main feature for MFS is the bing map integration in real time, with PG. The next biggest main feature of the game is the weather engine. Let MS/Asobo continue to work on it. I personally think the last thing we need are more cooks in the kitchen here. Third party devs will only know what Asobo opens up to them if the weather API is unlocked; third party devs won’t have the whole picture. Let’s leave it to MS/Asobo IMO. I wish we could down vote wishlist topics.

2 Likes

I personally think the exact opposite. The weather engine got progressively worse, Asobo stripping it of its life.
It’s about time another company had its go at a complete weather engine. Make it an add-on. If anyone wants it, they can get it, no strings attached.

11 Likes

I wish that. The clouds are not realistic at all. Even on ultra they look pixelated and weird.

Xenviro have great clouds but they can’t implement them unfortunately

1 Like

after last Q&A we might have some hope, asobo needs to understand that opening up Wx to other devs doesn’t make any damage to users who don’t want to pay for 3rd party addons, but in this way the ones who are willing to can enjoy good weather while asobo is busy doing other things… (like rails in a flight sim -.-)

3 Likes

good then we can have more metar weather bubbles thanks to 3rd party addons. cant wait
and then when those that dont like that still complain we will be told that its exactly what we asked for.
cue another couple years trying to improve that. interesting times ahead

1 Like

I hope Microsoft and Asobo open up the weather engine. Asobo has been doing great work, but they have a lot to enhance other than just weather. This will allow ActiveSky and Xenviro to make the best weather engine possible and who wants to buy can buy it.

7 Likes

I wonder how those 3rd party tools would make the weather more accurate? They may make the weather more accurate in a circle around the airports. But how would they make a cloudfront move over the airport if the weather needs to stay as a METAR says? Do we really want those fronts canceled out? And those upper level clouds will also be canceled out because METAR doesn’t report those all the time. And a reported CAVOK can still be overcast with high level clouds.

I bet Asobo could have made the weather perfect accurate to METAR but it would look and feel really bad.

If they open the weather up for 3rd parties then i want the pre su7 weather model back that got ruined for me with the METAR implementation.

3 Likes

Those 3rd parties could strike a deal with windy, ventusky or whoever else can provide them with NWP data. 3rd party access doesn’t automaticaly mean that they will use only METAR data.

2 Likes

has any 3rd party done so with other flight sims having open weather systems?

1 Like

I bet we will see transition settings in those as well. And we will see the cloudbase change per seconds instead of dynamically change over time.

Windy does those have an own weather model run? I can see they show different models on their app. I can choose to check NEMS (meteoblue) model for example.

I remember FSGRW (FS Global Real Weather) did something remotely similar for P3D, and I found it quite convincing. It often had stratiform cloudscapes when atmospheric conditions warranted it while the competitors mostly provided cumulus centric cloudscapes just as MSFS does now.

1 Like

‘Classic’ MSFS, P3D and X-Plane all allow for weather injection through an API. ActiveSky, for example, injects weather based on METARs and interpolates the weather in-between the stations and tries to do some transitions between each weather state. The base sim exhibits the whole ‘global weather changes instantly’ thing that MSFS does when you change weather themes.

REX WeatherForce basically does the same thing for MSFS, but by exploiting some kind of workaround which is not officially supported.

1 Like

Totally agree with you. I sincerely hope the weather remains locked down and under the control and development of Asobo\Microsoft

3 Likes

hmm yes ok but that is not what I asked. which 3rd party has used the kind of weather model this game used to have? has any 3rd party tried to struck a deal with meteoblue or ventusky or what have you? you see once they open up the weather system do you think they will spend more time on live weather? we will be stuck with metar 3rd party apps until someone “strikes a deal”

2 Likes

Ah, I misunderstood. Then, AFAIK, none.