OpenXR NIS upscaling software - Release thread

Update: just tried the Beta. Worked flawlessly.

OXR 100 (3156x3088)
MSFS 100
NIS 70 (2209x2161)
Sharpness 40

That gave me a clear, sharp G2 visual - the best I’ve experienced in my short 2 weeks as a G2 owner.

You, sir, are a golden god.

Recent posters who haven’t yet been able to access get started:

1. Download the .msi file
  2. You may have to tell Defender that it’s ok to keep it, and ok to run it.
  3. Run it and follow the quick and simple installer instructions
  4. Run OpenXR and set your Custom Render Scale to at least 100.
  5. Look for a shortcut on your desktop called “OpenXR NIS Scaler configuration tool”
  6. Open the tool and verify that your OpenXR resolution is showing in the upper left hand corner. My OpenXR 100 setting gave me 3156x3088.
  7. Select MSFS in the drop down window
  8. Check the “Enable NIS Scaling” box and drag the slider to the desired finished resolution (for my G2 I am using 70% which gets me 2209x2161)
  9. Set your initial sharpness (you can adjust it higher or lower in the Sim with CTL-UPARROW and CTL-DOWNARROW). I started with 10, and then upped it to 40 which I’m keeping
  10. (Re-)launch Virtual Reality Portal (you need to enter new sharpness values, close it, and relaunch it if you make any changes
  11. Launch MSFS and test it out
  12. If you raise the sharpness while you are in the Sim using the keyboard, you have to manually go back and put the new value that you’ve settled on into the Scaler Configuration Tool to keep it for your next session. The final value is in the .log file in the %Local%Appdata% folder.

Hope that’s helpful
Waxer

14 Likes