OpenXR NIS upscaling software - Release thread

I’ve had zero issues with this on W11. Only get the “warning” that mbuccia previously referenced.

You must be running some other security suite overlay (Norton? Macafee? ) or you are on a non admin windows login with locked down admin rights.

I don’t understand this part:

“You need this software to use NIS with VR. It is also recommended to turn off NIS in the NVIDIA driver when using this software, otherwise the GPU will be performing extra processing for the desktop view and not for VR.”

So how to activate NIS with Oculus headsets? If I can’t activate it via nvidia control panel, I’m not sure how it is done? Oculus headsets don’t use OpenXR dev tools.

Thank you in advance.

My browser typically warns me, but there is a “Keep” button to still download the file.

I don’t know what you mean by “local cache”.

All you should need is install (the MSI file), then open the OpenXR NIS Scaler configuration tool (icon in start menu or desktop), then select FlightSim and put your settings (Enable NIS scaling and select your scaling). You don’t need to keep the tool open after.

Do you mean the Enable NIS checkbox gets deselected?

Just install the program (MSI file from my GitHub above) then open the OpenXR NIS Scaler configuration tool (icon in start menu or desktop), then select FlightSim and put your settings (Enable NIS scaling and select your scaling).

Neither the OpenXR dev tools nor Oculus tools are involved, unless you are also going to change your OpenXR render scale as well.

1 Like

Added a few screenshots to the Quickstart section in the top post. Please refer to it for the very simple install & configuration steps.

1 Like

Update: just tried the Beta. Worked flawlessly.

OXR 100 (3156x3088)
MSFS 100
NIS 70 (2209x2161)
Sharpness 40

That gave me a clear, sharp G2 visual - the best I’ve experienced in my short 2 weeks as a G2 owner.

You, sir, are a golden god.

Recent posters who haven’t yet been able to access get started:

1. Download the .msi file
  2. You may have to tell Defender that it’s ok to keep it, and ok to run it.
  3. Run it and follow the quick and simple installer instructions
  4. Run OpenXR and set your Custom Render Scale to at least 100.
  5. Look for a shortcut on your desktop called “OpenXR NIS Scaler configuration tool”
  6. Open the tool and verify that your OpenXR resolution is showing in the upper left hand corner. My OpenXR 100 setting gave me 3156x3088.
  7. Select MSFS in the drop down window
  8. Check the “Enable NIS Scaling” box and drag the slider to the desired finished resolution (for my G2 I am using 70% which gets me 2209x2161)
  9. Set your initial sharpness (you can adjust it higher or lower in the Sim with CTL-UPARROW and CTL-DOWNARROW). I started with 10, and then upped it to 40 which I’m keeping
  10. (Re-)launch Virtual Reality Portal (you need to enter new sharpness values, close it, and relaunch it if you make any changes
  11. Launch MSFS and test it out
  12. If you raise the sharpness while you are in the Sim using the keyboard, you have to manually go back and put the new value that you’ve settled on into the Scaler Configuration Tool to keep it for your next session. The final value is in the .log file in the %Local%Appdata% folder.

Hope that’s helpful
Waxer

14 Likes

Great post for G2 Owners. Would appreciate an Oculus Quest 2 owner with Store version providing a quest specific setup like this.

Thanks in advance.

For us Quest2 users, the NIS scaler works fine but it is a bit confusing just what resolution you are at. I believe that if you set SS with ODT or OTT at 1.0 (0), then the “OpenXR NIS Scaler Configuration tool” number for resolution (below and to the right underneath the percentage for the top slider) is correct if you use MSFS Render Scaling set to 100 (%). Using the scaler tool, I can adjust the resolution and sharpening, and then CTRL+TAB twice to actually use the new values. Sharpening at 25% or so seems OK. I don’t yet know if the sharpening via NIS conflicts or augments the sharpening now provided by the recent v33+ Quest2 release.
As far as performance increase holding things constant as best as I can, I see a raw FPS increase from 25 to 32 using the Oculus Performance HUD. This helps with maintaining good “headroom” so I can fly at 30ASW instead of 18 ASW in the Heli 135. It’s really hard to decide whether I am matching the same clarity of the image.
If you want to load in an update of the NIS scaler, find it with the Uninstall Program option of the Windows Control Panel and uninstall it. Also, don’t try to use the OpenXR Development Tool - not needed.

1 Like

Thank you for this software, it did wonders to my Odyssey+, just amazing. Maybe it’s my mind playing tricks on me, but what I also realized today is that it seems to improve the experience at 60hz: I’m just not noticing the flickering that originally sent me back running to 90hz.

3 Likes

I believe I saw the “keep” selection but didn’t, well, select it. I’ll try that next.

Thanks.

Sorry for the misunderstanding it wasn’t the ““local cache”” but the ““Log File”” in “AppData”", problem now solved.

I’m just querying the scaler config tool as nothing is saving from one start up of the computer to another.

The config tool states ““Nis Scaler layer is active”” in green, this is the only thing that’s saving.

The ApI layer is also active in OXR system status which signifies your great API is working in the background.

Try to start the config tool as an Administrator (edit the compatability properties of the tool icon accordingly). Then everything except for the ‘selected application’ is saved correctly at least in my case.

Check the details of the log file should help confirm current status
%LocalAppData%\XR_APILAYER_NOVENDOR_nis_scaler.log.

2021-12-20 18:44:17 +0000: XR_APILAYER_NOVENDOR_nis_scaler layer (Beta-1) is active
2021-12-20 18:44:17 +0000: Using OpenXR runtime Windows Mixed Reality Runtime, version 109.2111.23003
2021-12-20 18:44:17 +0000: Loading config for “FS2020”
2021-12-20 18:44:17 +0000: Using intermediate format: 11
2021-12-20 18:44:17 +0000: Using fast context switch
2021-12-20 18:44:17 +0000: Use scaling factor: 0.700
2021-12-20 18:44:17 +0000: Sharpness set to 0.300
2021-12-20 18:44:17 +0000: Using adapter: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT
2021-12-20 18:44:17 +0000: Scaled resolution is: 2212x2161 (70% of 3160x3088)
2021-12-20 18:44:17 +0000: Using indirect texture format with color conversion
2021-12-20 18:44:18 +0000: Using indirect texture format with color conversion

I will also try the tool. Maybe it’s a stupid question. But do I have to press CTL + F1 to activate NIS or Is NIS already activated automatically by the tool?

You have a check box in the upper left of the configuration tool to enable the NIS

1 Like

I have previously used the Alpha. Is there anything I need to consider when switching to the beta?

Yes, thank you, all is saved except the msfs2020 option now.
Do you select that option each load up or doesn’t it seem to matter ?

Yes, that was ok, the api seemed to be running ok just nothing was saving and thats been rectified by running as administrator.
I dont have the full list as you seem to have though.
I only have…
Dllhome is"c:\program…
Xr api player is Novender…
Using open xr runtime…
Loading config for…
Using intermediate format…
using fast context switch…
Using scaling factor…
Sharpness set to…

I have too Quest 2. About the resolution you read in the config tab of NIS, not take in account about SS of OTT.
MY SS in OTT is 1.6 with NIS scaling to 60% and sharpness 60%. About my VR resolution is set to MAX in Oculus app (5408x2736) at 72Hz. FOV 0.65. the render scale in game is 100%
RIG: RTX3070 Ti, 32 GB RAM, I7 10700