OpenXR NIS upscaling software - Release thread

have also better result (less stutter, sim smoother) with FSR than with NIS on my NVidia. i can increase my Q2 resolution and have a better picture too because of this.
And world Scale is a great feature for sure. @mbucchia and @CptLucky8 are our saviors

2 Likes

No issue here with reprojection, same as before.

Dunno, I’m using the same settings for scaling but with the OXR overlay on, it shows blue (reprojection on) but my frames drop below 10 and very jittery.
Did not have that problem with the previous version strangely.

Brother, you are right, they are more than saviors. Even with reprojection off its smooth. he only area I notice it not being there is at 400kts down the mach loop in the hawk which is when I liked to look out the side and watch the trees go by. Small tradeoff for the visual quality I can reach now.

Fsr worked superb for me. Excellent results with both MR enabled or not at 82% and 10% sharpening. Love the in headset menu and discreet FPS with small font enabled.

Have had a few crashes, like a headset blue screen and a couple of VR freezes but I think that is more to do with my G2 cable than this app. Thought I’d mention it in case others have similar.

Hey all - THIS THREAD FOR FUTURE DISCUSSIONS:

See you there.

8 Likes

Yes FSR is very impressive. I’m now able to push scaling to 115% in the toolkit (2 others are 100%), with a better picture :slight_smile:

1 Like

Vivo pro 2, SteamVR beta 1.21.6, AMD 6900 xt, I can’t run the simulator along with the tool. After loading before the menu screen, I always get CTD if the tool is enabled. But previous version NIS - working great for me. Safe mode of tool has no effect for me also. If I try to disable tool during sim start, I get CTD during flight start e.t.c. Tool logs have nothing, but sim:
Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.21.18.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: ViveOpenXRHandTracking.dll, version: 0.1.5.1, time stamp: 0x61dd2b5f
Faulting module path: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\VIVEDriver\App\ViveVRRuntime\ViveVR_openxr\ViveOpenXRHandTracking\ViveOpenXRHandTracking.dll

You mean disable through the Companion app? If so then your issue is not related to the tool.

Yes, with “Disable the OpenXR Toolkit” enable checkbox the sim starts correctly, and i have no ViveOpenXRHandTracking.dll crash.

It’s such a shame that the ASW in the Oculus Tray Tool is so unpredictable.
Sometimes when it works (18 or 30Hz) it’s so beautifully smooth.
Displaying the FPS from the NIS tool, you can clearly see when ASW locks in on a fixed frame rate.

I have no idea why ASW does and doesn’t work.

1 Like

Why you go beyond 100% in the OpenXR Toolkit, you actually DECREASE the resolution. I suggest reading the manual.

It does the same thing. 115% is the same as ~87% (the mathematical inverse).

4 Likes

Update for AMD users: We have found the issue and we are trying very hard to release a hotfix today. Thanks for your patience!!

9 Likes

My experience as well. I just gave up on ASW for this reason.

On my system (10 core i9 with RTX 2070) I find that Sharpening in FRS mode isn’t as effective as in NIS so I’ve had to re-enable Sharpening in the usercfg.opt. Does anyone else find that the sharpening isn’t as strong in FSR? Also, is there a way to adjust the settings in 2D rather than doing the adjustments in VR?

Good stuff! I can report a small increase in clarity and ~ +6fps on average.

HP Reverb G2 = stable ~ 30fps
NIS = 80%, Sharp. = 30%
OpenXR Dev. = 100%, Motion Rep. = Disabled
MSFS = 100%, AA = TAA, AF = 8x, Other stuff = High to Medium, but Shadow stuff = 768, and Low to Off.

Ryzen 3700X @4.3Ghz
GSkill 32GB @3600-CL15
Asus X570-E Gaming
Asus RTX 2080 Super OC (NV 511.23)
Crucial MX500 1TB
W10 Pro DX11

It’s known that in general FSR sharpening is much gentler than NIS sharpening. NIS usually starts looking bad past 30% and is way oversharpened at 80%, while FSR can look good at 80-100%. I’d say 30% NIS is equivalent to 90% FSR or so. I wouldn’t do double-sharpening. Also, FSR looks smoother to me even with sharpening, with less shimmering than NIS.

3 Likes

the only way is to modify values in registry, but i can’t encourage this

I just noticed the same thing. Using the tool for the first time.

I went near cross eyed until I got the menu aligned, lol.

1 Like