OpenXR NIS upscaling software - Release thread

I did disable it today and i can see the difrrence in VR with G2. Not coming back to Hyperthreading anymore. My Cpu is more quiet and calmer. Did fly in VR today capped 45fps with 19% CPU load and 49 celcius. I have also undervolted my 3080ti, it is with Kodiak capped 45fps 89% load and 68 celsius.

1 Like

I dont see how disabling HT is supposed ho jelp if we are GPU limited anyway, which is the case for G2 always atm

1 Like

Does anyone know if disabling HT with Process Lasso is the same as disabling in BIOS? The problem with this is that disabling SST in BIOS (HT on AMD SPUs) removes all sleep modes from Windowns. So the only option is to shut down every time, which is a no-go for me, as this is my main PC used for work etc. Iā€™m not sure if disabling it in ProcessLasso would be worse than not touching it. I didnā€™t see a noticeable difference with SMT off but that was long time ago. Benchmarking is very difficult too, especially for microstutters, so itā€™s difficult to tellā€¦ I have 5900X, so I really donā€™t need 24 threads ans associated overhead, when I have 12 physical cores. But there is no good way to disable them without losing sleep mode AFAIK.

I keep reading how to turn microprojection on and off but none of the articles Iā€™ve read match (as is usually the case) to what Iā€™m seeing in the SteamVR menus.

YMMV, but for me, motion reprojection (in my case ASW on my Quest 2) actually leads to far more microstuttering than turning it off. Iā€™ve setttled for lower framerates (and/or graphic quality) and minimizing microstutters, so ASW is permanently off for me.

Thanks, at least I know where to look now!

Iā€™m still experimenting but with my terrible framerate it seems to make things feel smoother. Iā€™ve had it on up till now.

I went through many settings and it seems like for my setup with a GTX 1070 and Quest 2, 80% NIS scaling and 40% sharpness seem to be my good spot with Advanced Supersample Filtering on.

Dropping down to 50-60% seemed to make things way worse with head tracking (getting black at the sides), vertical lines and super grainy/jittery video.

Pushing it to higher sharpening or 100% NIS resolution didnā€™t do much to improve G1000 button readability but everything else was fine. I also have graphics options tuned up high.

Despite bad framerate it, for some reason, just feels okay?? Iā€™m not sure why. Iā€™m actually happy other than I canā€™t see the G1000 buttons. If I stick my virtual face a few inches from the G1000 screen I can see them nice and clear.

I guess having a GTX 1070 my expectations arenā€™t as high.

You can check for yourself by going to Quickstart | OpenXR Toolkit (mbucchia.github.io) and then clicking on the ā€œdownload the latestā€ button near the bottom of the first page. As of right now (0500 UTC Jan, 25th), it still says " There arenā€™t any releases here".

1 Like

Itā€™s not released yet but as you can see weā€™re in the final stage of preparation, with the website being up but indeed no download yet. Finalizing a few details for a release on Friday.

9 Likes

Youā€™re going to have to give me more details here. What first version? What new version? Messed up in what way?

the only ASW setting that work (not good but the better) for me is ā€œ45Hz forcedā€

This is getting exciting! Itā€™s like post-Christmas present-time.

1 Like

Hi,

I have scanned through this thread (and others) and canā€™t find anyone else with the same issue - or maybe it isnā€™t an issue and Iā€™m being stupid.

In my Oculus App, I have this resolution setā€¦

But when I open the NIS Scaling tool, the resolution shown is only 2368 x 2240 ā€¦ should they not match?

cheers for any helpā€¦

Your screenshot is for both eyes combined.
The NIS resolution is per eye.

But yes they should match (and they donā€™t in your case). They do match on my side.

Very strange, Iā€™ve checked everything and canā€™t figure out why they are different. Makes me wonder if this is the reason Iā€™m not getting the desired resolution.

probably it is because of your FOV settings. put 0 or 1.0 to have the full resolution (and because in Oculus, it is the full resolution for both eyes)

Is there any benefit to selecting the latest Preview OPENXR runtime in the OPENXR Developer Tool when we start to use OPENXR ToolKit ? Thanks.

2 Likes

That was the first or better early beta , with the hand written settings in the note pad.

I tried the uninstall , installed the new version and results in drastic fps drops and performance what makes msfs unplayable. ( Iā€™ve normally between 70/80 fps in VR with ultra settings ) was under 15 ā€¦
So I went back to your early states of your plug-in and all was good to goā€¦ Since today

A huge thank you to mbucchia!

For me this NIS tool finally managed to make MSFS in VR a reality. I can now balance quality, clarity and performance up to a new level that manages to achieve a clear and smooth 30fps+, even in tough environments and terrains that previously I would never even think of approaching (ICON A5 nice and slow).

Here are some of my settings after a few hours of tweaking also based on suggestions in this thread (very helpful, appreciated). There is still some tolerable shimmer in the background in populated areas from higher altitudes, but most if not all of my flying is low altitude sightseeing and for some wonderful reason at low altitudes the shimmer is almost non existent.

Quest2, Virtual Desktop, RTX 3070Ti, Ryzen 5 3600, 32GB, Xbox Controller.
Steam OpenXR runtime, SteamVR Video Manual 150%, supersampling OFF, Desktop Game Theatre OFF.
OpenXR NIS 90/30.
NVIDIA 511.23 All default except for:
Global 3D settings: DSR - 2.25x DL, DSR - Smoothness 33%
MSFS Program 3D Settings: Max Frame Rate 60 FPS, Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimization ON, Texture filtering - Quality Performance, Texture filtering - Trilinear optimization ON, Vertical sync - Use the 3D application setting, Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames 2.
MSFS PC: most settings HIGH, V-SYNC ON, FRAME RATE LIMIT 60 fps, Render Scaling 100, TLOD 220, OLOD 200.
MSFS VR: most settings HIGH/ULTRA, Render Scaling 100, TLOD 120, OLOD 140.
Virtual Desktop: Quality ULTRA, Frame Rate 90 fps, Bitrate 150, Sharpening 12, Gamma 0.86, Increase Color Vibrance ON, SSW Off.

Launch sequence: MSFS PC, Virtual Desktop, SteamVR, OpenXR NIS, MSFS VR.

I thought the openXR dev tool is knly for WMR, ie not Quest2?