OpenXR NIS upscaling software - Release thread

How do you set tlod to .1-.6? is this terrain lod in msfs settings? I have a gtx 1080 and I’m really struggling with micro stutters when moving my head> I’m looking for any improvment i can find. Rift s also.

Yes tLod is terrain that you can edit with slider 10-400 (10 is 0.1).

Thank you for the explantion. I’ll give it a try I have it set at 200 now

Weird stuff, but this software after installation causes huge stutters when moving the camera like it was the case with the original SU5 before the hotfix which introduced the offscreen terrain precaching. It’s stuttering with gaps in the Main Thread and Rdr Thread even when VR is not on and the headset is completely switched off. I was tearing my hair off my head trying to understand what caused that until I removed the NIS tool and everything got back to normal. Not sure how this can be connected, but a fact of the matter is it is…

I noticed this too with a pimax 8kx. The alpha 4 release allowed per application setting changes but not the beta.

You can select FS2020 target in the Beta using Config-UI droplist.

The quality depends on the content. The trees are better with NIS, but the readability of gauges are worse. From your two example images:

NIS off:

NIS on:

(Both images upscaled to about 5000x5900)

The readability of the 0 on the blue background is better without NIS.

Perhaps the temporal scaler in MSFS (is it a temporal upscaler? I dont know) could result in an even better readability as it can use the history.

How do you shut scaler off, mine keeps saying that it has NIS SCaler layer is active. I want to go back to using vr without this tool just to experiment.

ThanksCapture

1 Like

Is this tool available somewhere?

Not sure I understand. There is an Enable checkbox, and a large bold text that says you have to restart the VR session. Because of the way it works (this is external to the game), the scaling cannot be changed without restarting VR.

Active and enabled are 2 different things.

Active means that it’s there, waiting for it to be enabled.

When active but not enabled, it will do nothing (no NIS).

1 Like

That’s news to me. I’m not sure how this could be broken but I’ll try it out.

Are you sure it’s not just that the resolution displayed in the tool is incorrect? Because the tool queries the resolution from SteamVR, and unless SteamVR is configured to also give the same custom resolution to the tool, then the tool will not report the correct resolution. However, MSFS will still apply NIS on top of the custom resolution. You could confirm that in the %LocalAppData%\XR_APILAYER_NOVENDOR_nis_scaler.log file.

Edit: I don’t know how to make the tool appear in the SteamVR app list. Probably not possible.

Anybody else seeing this?

Sounds similar to OpenXR NIS upscaling software - Release thread - #8 by notsofearless but I’m not sure what happened to resolve it.

Edit: I am also being told that the latest NVIDIA driver could be the cause. Could you check whether you might have gotten a driver update at the same time?

I was getting horrible stutters with latest Nvidia driver 497.29. Rolled back to 497.09 and everything was back to normal

1 Like

Yes I have rolled back as well, both done on clean installs.

Speaking of drivers, anyone using any specific Nvidia graphic settings for VR?

Soon to be released free.

2 Likes

Sorry to be off-topic. Is it possible to do mono-rendering, so that both eyes display the same image? Or disable rendering for one of the eyes altogether?

My co-worker tried that last week after we read feedback from this forum, and it ended up not being usable (did not look good at all). We’ve concluded this is not a practical idea.

1 Like

I originally tried settings of 100% global, 100% per application, 50% NIS and got a really low res in VR as expected. Changing to 100% global 200% per app and restarting everything didn’t affect the image, but using 200% global 100% per app I see the res update in the NIS tool after a few seconds, and toggling VR the image resolution changes.

I don’t understand what you’re saying. Are you talking about these 2 screenshots ?