OpenXR NIS upscaling software - Release thread

yes, i mean the zeros (“0”) on these 2 screenshots especially from the two numbers “10” on the blue background.

I’ve run the installation, but I’m not finding the log file. Looking in “C:\USERS\MyName\AppData\Local” Any hints?

Have you run the game at least once? Is the configuration tool showing “layer is active”?

That did it, thank you! No, I hadn’t run the game since installing your app. (I was literally following directions 1-4, which I now see if I’d read the lines just before them, I needn’t have been doing. Doh!)

Thank you. Now to test. Fingers crossed.

I tried three different drivers including the latest Game driver, the latest Studio one and now settled on the 496.76 one. Until I removed the NIS tool on the 496.76 the problem persisted through all those three drivers.

My system - HP Reverb G2, Intel 11900KF, MSI RTX 3090. MSFS is Steam version.

So very pleased with this tool, Matthieu!

Using 100% OXR Render Scaling, 100% Render Scaling in MSFS and /70% NIS Scaling I’m able to run higher graphical settings inside the Sim than before. With the tool running, those settings yield significantly less studder and much better clarity.

For me, running a G2 on an Alienware m17-R4 laptop (w/ RTX3070 Mobile), I do keep the Sharpness setting at/below 20%, otherwise I see the “shimmering” effect others describe.

Flying the F18 through mountains at low altitudes is just amazing. I do turn the msfs2020 settings back down in the densely populated cities, which is expected for a laptop.

I’ve thanked you before, but have to express my gratitude yet again. Once we get the hotfixes from the last msfs2020 update, the Sim will be even better. Fantastic work, Sir!

3 Likes

Thanks for reporting. Looks like I need to do more testing with SteamVR (frankly I have been focusing WMR)

I did the image compare test that mbucchia posted up and came to the same conclusion. I cannot get fine detail on gauges and PFD/MFD displays any clearer with this NIS scaler than what I had without it, yet outside visuals are better??

I do use WMR Open XR, it’s just the sim version that is Steam :slight_smile: could it be that the code done to suit both platforms somehow gets in the way on Steam?

Did you try 497.09? I have very similar system specs and this driver gave me a significant performance gain vs. 496.76 (+2…4FPS and lower frametimes).

1 Like

Stumbled on this mod in the forum. My system: Lenovo T5 gaming desktop (R7 3700X / 16GB RAM / 1000GB SSD / RTX3060TI / HP Reverb G2)

Old settings: OXR: 80% / TAA: 80% / Mproj: Off / Graphic settings Medium+
NIS Settings: OXR: 100% / TAA: 100% / NIS: scale 80% / Sharpness 50%

I was satisfied with my old settings getting a steady 30 fps for most situations and planes. But a bit blurry and hard to read the buttons in the cockpit.

First I tried it with my (then) current Nvidia driver (476 something) and got a poor performance. 20-something fps with a lot of stuttering. But a much improved image quality :slight_smile:

Then I upgraded to the Nvidia 497.09 and got 35+ fps frame rate. Very satisifed indeed! :slight_smile:

I could even enable motion reprojection which I could not get to work with my old settings. Steady 90 fps!

This is a great mod! Highly recommended :slight_smile:

1 Like

You getting a Steady 90fps in VR?

Through Motion Reprojection (Asynchronous reprojection - Wikipedia)

I did this video tutorial, hope it helps!

11 Likes

Yes, with motion reprojection enabled in OpenXR. The base fps is 22-23 fps I think when reproj is enabled. With reproj disabled I get 35 fps.

Fantastic mod this. I have steamvr ss at 100% and used to have msfs render scale at 80%, it was a bit blurry, most noticeably the cockpit.

With this mod i still have steamvr ss at 100% but have msfs rs at 100%. The mod is 0.8/0.25. This gives a noticeably clearer view.

Ok I tried this and it’s fantastic! When using the Control F1 in the simulator to toggle the NIS Scalar on and off live you can very much see the clarity improvement outside the cockpit and even some additional clarity on the cockpit gauges. No impact to fps for me that I can measure as I have motion reprojection on so it locks down to 30 anyhow (a reverb G2 set to 90hz mode). I watched the video just posted by pie in the sky tours on YouTube and it’s easy to set this app up (thank you to the developer above!!). I’ve only tried with one setting so far but will keep tinkering a bit.

My specs are:
i9 12900k, 3090, 64gb ram, OXR Developer at 100 custom render, TAA in sim render at 100, motion reprojection always on, LOD in sim at 125, rest at medium (some high), NIS at 85% scaler (where I used to run the openxr scalar before this new tool) and 50% sharpness.

Fantastic tool and they should make this a standard option within the OpenXR Developer tool or WMR app itself.

1 Like

Once again your videos have made this sim much better. Followed your suggesrtions to a T and my 2080 Supper runs smooth and clear.

Thanks Pie!

1 Like

Thanks all for the feedback! It looks like the install/config phase remains a difficult step for less experienced users. I’m investigating now how to get rid of the configuration tool, and instead enable modifying the settings in-game (though changing the resolution will always require to restart VR). Hopefully this will make things easier to use.

1 Like

Are you really using sharpen 60% like in your vid? Putting it that high makes it shimmer like crazy on mine