OpenXR Toolkit RTX 3090 share your experience!

HP G2 / RTX 3090 / 12700k / 32 GB 3600 /Win 11.

I’ve been experimenting with NIS/FSR , the best setting for me is 85/30 using FSR. However I get more artifacts compared to not using scaling at all. So I went back to "old school“ OpenXR 70%, in-game 100%, repro on and FPS locked at 31 FPS in Nvidia CP, prediction dampening at -25%. Works best for me. (I prefer smoothness and artifacts over stutters/blurs).

What works best for you? Does it even really make sense to use upscaling with the 3090?

2 Likes

Might be better to post this in the Open XR Toolkit thread?

I thought it might be worthwhile to open a separate, specific thread (RTX3090 users), cuz in the OpenXR toolkit thread there is whole selection of cards mentioned. Kinda hard to keep track.

6 Likes

I have different CPU (Ryzen), so my experience may be different, but I am lazy to create new thread.

If you are using Nvidia, could you cap the frame rate to 23 or 30 in Nvidia control panel? It’s possible to to do it per game. I have mine set to 23 for MSFS

Toolkit : 100/60 FSR / dampening -30%
OpenXR developer tool: 75% / repro on
In-Game: 100%
Nvidia: 31 FPS locked

…works pretty well too.

Why dampening ?
what make that without a flight seat ?

Good thread i had posted similar in the NIS topic.

But didn’t get a reply as its so active. I am of the same opinion as yourself. I have ot had the chance to play around with the new tool. But my primary system didn’t really benefit from the Nis tool
Headset reverb G2
Specs
5900x rtx 3090, 64gb ram, m.2 drives and Windows 11

However I have a second system I have access too which is a it 8700k / rtx 2060 32gb ram and ssd

I see could improvement on the later system., I came to the conclusion higher end doesn’t really benefit and have like yourself jist reverted back to what’s available to me in the nvidea control panel and open xr, I do 100/100 and pretty much all high and ultra settings and I am more then happy with how it performs .

Obviously this is just my opinion, but it’s great that this tool is available to benefit others the guys done really well

not 3090 here, 6800XT, have everything on 100 (but openXR 95% microstutters disappear), FSR 100% sharpen 100%, oh and found Ambient Occlusion gives the image more “depth”,

with 9900K - 31 FPS sharp, smooth, 3D

I agree than FSR 85% / sharpening 20-30 is pretty good, especially for smoothness.

But I do get excessive shimmering with it, but am not quite sure whether the shimmering is actually worse than OXR70/TAA100, or whether it’s just placebo.

What are the artifacts that you mean? Also shimmering/aliasing issues, especially on autogen buildings, trees, and other (multiplayer) planes? Those are my main issues since SU5 and nothing helps… although I’ve read the Aero shimmers less (I have G2).

I think it’s definitely worthwhile, but maybe also limit it to the G2, that probably has more effect than the card itself? And since it’s such a common HMD… would make everything a lot more comparable!

3080Ti Overclocked +800, +110
i7 7700K, 4,9Ghz Overclocked
32 Ram
Reverb G2
HAGS On
Game mode Off
Nvidia 511.66
Anisotropic Filtering 16x in Nvidia settings, off in sim.

Open XR 250%
Motion Off

FSR 65 (3250x3180)
Sharp 100
World Scale 94

Sharpness in config file Off.
This made a huge difference.

30 fps in flight, 26fps on the ground.
Clouds Ultra, LOD 300, Resolution 100, the rest Ultra except, Trees High, Grass and Bushes Mid, Ambient Occlusion High and Contact Shadows High.

Wonderful.
Thank you! @mbucchia

Edit this file,
Windows Store version: %LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\UserCfg.opt

Steam Version:
“user”/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft Flight Simulator/UserCfg.opt

Scroll down to VR and change

Sharpness = 1
to
Sharpness = 0

Save and restart the sim.

Shimmering is almost gone.

Lol thanks but no, i know that helps a little, but Ive had the cfg sharpen on 0 for months. And no, it hasnt been reset, i checked recently.

Even with this 0 setting, i have crazy shimmering of buildings especially.

I know, it’s crazy, what works for some, does nothing for others.
You should try my settings, posted them up here.
I’m getting the best clarity I’ve ever had in my G2.
And zero shimmering.

I’m doing kind of a manual DLSSR, high input pixel density from OpemXR, to final display resolution on my headset.
Never been happier with the sim.
Cheers!

Yeah it’s weird.

I’ve noted your settings down, will try next time i run the sim. Thanks!

Although I doubt I can cope with 30fps… I usually aim for 40+

I have a 3080ti, which should be almost equal in preformance. Im running a 5800x with 32gb ram, reverb g2.

Even with multi-threading turned off, I’m getting this. I am getting 30 fps with 100 openxr, 100 in-game, and 90 NIS. But seems like I should be getting more, and motion reprojection is a mess. LOD is at 150.

Your CPU use seems not OK, too high, there’s something weird with your box

Try a different aircraft - maybe the F35 has a CPU issue.

Seems like my usercfg.opt file is being overwritten to restore Sharpness = 1. Why would that happen between updates? I never previously had to set it as read-only. Any thoughts?? Thanks.

1 Like