OpenXR Toolkit (upscaling, world scale, hand tracking...) - Release thread

On my quest 2 I still have the sim update 5 mid distance building shimmer ( not all the time, only at certain lighting conditions) even at full resolution, regardless of scaling. There are groups of pixels flashing between black and white even on stationary image, so I would be amazed if this could ever be fixed with a sharpening/upscaling filter… I guess we rely on Asobo to fix their AA. Then again these guys have amazed us before :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you guys for the responses, appreciative!

Yes! Initially after installing the Toolkit only 1 floating menu. But for no apparent reason there are always 2 now. Very annoying. Would love to know how to fix.

Try adjusting menu eye offset

FWIW, when i was testing the Aero the other day with the Steam runtime, I was unable to bring the menus into alignment. The adjustment bottomed out at -500 I think and wouldn’t go any lower (i.e., wouldn’t push the menu in the right panel any further to the left).

Not sure if that may be an issue in other HMDs as well.

My issue of “ double vision “ can be got rid of by coming out of VR then re-entering. But it is still a bit annoying. Hopefully the issue can be fixed by next patch.

1 Like

You’re going to have to explain a little bit more clearly for that to happen. Because right now have have no idea what this means :slight_smile: so it’s not going to get fixed without a proper bug report. Thanks!

Great piece of software, thank you. I would like to know what the difference is between NIS and FSR? I use a Quest 2, and I know from the original that NIS helps with the resolution, but what is FSR? Can you explain how this works and what it does?

@mbucchia Maybe an entry on the website (can’t find one currently) about the differences between NIS and FSR?

Personally I’ve been using FSR with my Reverb G2, it feels visually “smoother” and by that I don’t mean performance/FPS just the perception I get (YMMV).

Sounds like the stock market.

Upscaling | OpenXR Toolkit is best I can do.

The “differences” are not objectively quantifiable IMO. You can Google FSR vs NIS and there are many people trying to compare them and in the end, it really feels subjective. The only thing that’s comparable is the performance gain (which is nearly the same), but when it comes to quality, I cannot answer.

I think generally my reading of the feedback specifically for OpenXR Toolkit and FS2020 is that FSR produces better results in terms of image quality. So I would recommend to start there.

For the interested, there is a screenshot feature if someone wanted to make some side-by-side comparisons. But honestly I can never see a difference when I look at those. And seeing through a VR headset is also different from looking at a monitor.

It’s possible in the future that we allow to switch from NIS to FSR on the fly, but not high on the priority list.

3 Likes

What I did notice is the higher your resolution, the better sharpening works.
@1600x1600, shimmering will already occur eg. 20%
@3000x3000, >50% might still improve the picture. (welcome to the stutterdome)
Also noticed that FTS does a much better job than NIS.

It’s a shame people don’t mention their openXR resolution when posting settings. It’s crucial info. Settings in openXR, OTT, headset etc seem to cancel each other out, when it comes to resolution settings.
fictional example: openXR 100% - OTT SS 1.7 might be same as openXR 70% - OTT SS 2.3. You end up with same openXR resolution without much difference (AFAICT)
The final resolution that’s showing in openXR is the interesting part and has a lot of impact on motion smoothness (also FOV and ASW if you get that to work )

For me this effect is coming from Double Super Sampling i had my Oculus Settings to set 1.0 and in Tray Tool 1.5 or whatever this fixed this double Render per Eye for me.

Oh come on ! I only fly with reproj, I’ve tried and failed to get rid of some stutterings and only realized early this week that reproj switching gears was the culprit, and I finally got 100% rid of them by locking fps < 25 (to stay in x4 22.5 fps reproj mode on the Reverb G2).

And now you post this two days after I understood the issue ; couldn’t you have posted this months ago ! You would have saved me so much time trying solutions that didn’t work ! :laughing:

3 Likes

Victoria International Airport (CYYJ) would be awesome if you did it :+1:

2 Likes

PLEASE stay on topic - THANK YOU.

4 Likes

Is there an FPS cost associated with using Hand Motion sw?

I have a drop of about 3-5 frames (32 down to 27).

I’ve been an advocate of this tool and think for certain configurations it works wonders. Ive been using it since the first NIS beta. But as of yesterday when I updated to the new Nvidia drivers, I’m not running any tools.

I can’t tell you how many hours/days I have spent trying to tweak all the settings between OTT, Oculus, Nvidia, OXR and OXR Toolkit. But now, I’m not using any of the tools. I’m running the Oculus desktop at 1.3 (4864x2438) and MSFS at 90 and have the best stutter free and picture quality yet. I can finally concentrate on just flying and racing!
The fact that some are saying that the new drivers are worse for them only goes to demonstrate the numerous variables in a PC that gives everyone a different experience. I’ve duplicated the many settings with all the tools of those with a similar setup that swear by their results, but did not work for me. But now to have nothing between the Oculus desktop and MSFS is what works best for me. YMMV…
Quest 2
AMD 5950x
3080Ti
32gb
Nvme HD

Did you find the file and noticed the difference with Sharpnes = 0?