OpenXR Update from Nov 17th - Reverb G2 CTD after switching to VR and back

Please vote in the Bugreport posted above if you haven’t done so yet. Thanks.

1 Like

Thank you, this works for me.

If you did not read it in the bug thread yet - there has been a hotfix OXR release (v109) which appears to solve the whole issue for most users.

1 Like

The latest update (23 Nov) fixes it for me. I have to use the - Use latest preview option.

Sorry for not having seen this post earlier. I’ve posted the procedure how to update to the latest OpenXR version here:

Hi,

I’m with the OpenXR team at Microsoft.

There are a few outstanding issues that we have been made aware of. We want to thank the community for reporting these issues.

We are going to roll out an update to the OpenXR runtime later today which we believe will fix 2 issues that are causing crashes or failure to initialize the VR mode.

Please be sure to install the OpenXR Developer Tools for Windows Mixed Reality and enable “Use latest preview OpenXR runtime” in the “Developer Settings” tab. The versions that have the fixes are:

• 108.2111.23004 (this one is rolled out gradually over a few days)
  • 109.2111.23003 (Preview - this one will go to everyone but needs to be explicitly enabled with the Developer Tools)

You may check what version you are using by inspecting the “System Status” tab (but please give it a few seconds to update after you switch to the preview runtime).

If you are not getting the new 109.2111.23003 version automatically, try to open the Microsoft Store and force the update from the “Download and updates” screen by clicking “Get updates”.

Again, this is not live yet, it should be available by the end of today (US time).

Thank you all for your patience.

16 Likes

Thank you very much! Good to know, that someome from the Team is reading about our issue.
For me, since the new openXR update from 2-3 days ago, everything works perfectly at the moment. Will look out for the update.

2 Likes

Will definitely be looking forward to the update.

Sorry if this is a numpty question. Do I need to run my headset with the WMR portal and the OpenXR dev tool open, or does OpenXR “kick in” when you start up VR in the game once you’ve downloaded and set up the dev tool?

Thanks

Only WMR needs to be “open”, but the OpenXR Dev Tool must be installed to be able to use the latest preview!

Thanks @RPthreenine - I’ve managed to stumble my way through it. It seems to be offering me a very smooth experience.

Definitely worth doing.

Thanks again

1 Like

My Open XR for WMR in Developer Tools shows it was updated in the apps section but version number did not change - will see if it does once I start flying some today.

Thank you for the information. Can I ask you a question related to OpenXR? From what I can figure out UltraLeap / LeapMotion hand tracking hardware is working with SteamVR OpenXR runtime, but it isn’t available for WMR OpenXR runtime. Is there a reason for that? Are you planning any kind of support for LeapMotion hardware? Is there anything that prevents developers from writing a driver/middleware for VR controller emulation on WMR OpenXR? Thanks.

1 Like

You have to wait a few seconds after switching latest preview on as described to see the version change.

Hello OpenXR Developer! Thanks for sharing your infos.
As i do not know where else i could make wishes for OpenXR, i do it here. But if there is some other way to post wishes, please let me know.
I would like to propose something for OpenXR which perhaps would be very easy to implement with a high potential of speedup.

It would be 4 percentage values for FOV:
Top FOV
Bottom FOV
Inner FOV
Outer FOV
I have a G2 (lets assume it has 3000x3000 resolution to render) and when i enable MSFS Developer Mode with FPS display, i nearly cannot see the FPS display as it is out of sight but still displayed. So i could lower my inner FOV to say 90% which would be 300 Pixels less. If i lower top and bottom FOV to both 95% this would also be 300 Pixels less. In sum the new resolution to render would be 2700x2700, which is only 81% of 3000x3000! This would speed things up a lot!

Also it would be really cool to have FSR built into OpenXR.

So please forgive me to bother you and have a nice day!
Thomas

2 Likes

Hey @HyperJet2018,

Thanks for the feedback.

It is not possible for our team to address every feature request, especially as we are working on other products and with other developers to enable their applications.

I am not 100% convinced that what you propose here will make a difference, however you seem very motivated so I will do what I can to empower you to try this technique out. If the results are as great as you predict, I can try to bring this up to the rest of my team for further investigation.

Please note that the work below is not affiliated with Microsoft, and it is my personal contribution as a VR enthusiast, entirely built without any resources from Microsoft.

I’ve spent a few hours building a basic OpenXR API layer (ie: something that is NOT part of of the OpenXR runtime, but allows to modify the behavior of OpenXR) to enable modifying the FOV via a config file. Note that since it’s an OpenXR layer, it will work with other OpenXR runtimes (ie: not just the WMR one). However, I have only tested with WMR.

The GitHub page has instructions on how to install the API layer and configure it. The example I used is specifically for MSFS2020, and I actually used the values that you mentioned in your post.

I don’t really play MSFS so I can’t really appreciate whether this makes a real difference, but please give ii a try if you can, and report back to me.

For developers out there: this open source bit of code can be used as a stub to create OpenXR API layers to modify the behavior of OpenXR not just for WMR but any other headset.

Thanks and have a great week-end!

4 Likes

Wow, this was much faster than i even dreamt about!!! I will try it thanks a lot!! :smiley:
Have a great weekend too!

Ok, i tried it! And i could set these values without any black edges for my G2 with standard padding:
left.up=0.9
left.down=0.9
left.right=0.8
right.up=0.9
right.down=0.9
right.left=0.8
This is then 20% less pixels on both axes which is only 64% of the Pixels!! This could be a real Game Changer :sunglasses: in terms of fps! But: currently in FS2020 the render Resolution did not change, i thought that it gets decreased. I could use 75% render Resolution in FS2020 and had the clarity of 100% - so this would be really great.
Sadly, the motion reprojection did not work anymore, i always use it on automatic and it did not work here. So i personally can not use this :sob: but others who do not use the Repro could benefit greatly.
Wow, perhaps this can be extended for Motion Repro. But if not i am happy i could test it! Thanks!!

Ok, second try without Motion Repro: works really GREAT!! I could use 100% OpenXR Resolution and 80% inGame, but this is like 100% inGame!! Its insanely sharp, you see the G1000 Text nearly like a normal monitor! And above Lukla i could even go higher, nearly 100% which would be 120% or so. Very impressed. This with 30FPS capping is GREAT for all users without Repro.
Then i turned on the Repro, ok it “wants” to work, but i get too much watery, wobbly effects. Even with 30fps. This is unusable with Repro in the current state.

PC: 5800x, 32GB, 3070Ti, M2

I can report absolutely no more issues on my end switching out of VR whilst still in the cockpit. Kudos on this fix!! Also unrelated to this but wanted to mention I have still gone many hours in SU7 (DX11) without a single CTD. That was certainly not the case with SU6 for me.
And back on topic - you guys have done a good job with Motion Compensation. Yeah it is not perfect but IMHO is certainly better than Steam VR Motion Smoothing.
Keep up the great work!!

Hi can you please help me set it up.Where is XR_APILAYER_NOVENDOR_fov_modifier.dll inside the package?And also when i’m trying to run it as administrator i can find only run with power shell.Any help will be appreciated.