Option to completely disable the "low bandwidth" warning

Yes I know I have a slow connection, and no I don’t need reminding nearly every single time I go into a flight. Also I am willing to wait as long as needed for the online/photogrammetry data to fully stream in, I don’t want to be automatically switched to offline mode (which means I have to go to the settings and manually enable Bing data, making the overall wait even longer).

Can you please make this warning a toggle in the settings so that I don’t ever have to see it again? Or maybe a “don’t warn me again” option when it comes up?

I have gotten this warning even though an immediate bandwidth test afterward shows that everything is fine on my end. Clearly the logic with this warning is flawed.

5 Likes

The Zendesk article explains that the warning is supposed to appear “when the bandwidth was inferior to 5Mbps during the download or if it takes more than 3 seconds to load a tile during a flight”. However, you are entirely correct that it also appears to users with much faster connections, and it also probably triggers when the problem is on the Microsoft servers’ side (more of a reason to allow us to disable it).

Myself I do have a rather slow connection that can sometimes go below 5Mbps, but especially after Sim Update 5, I am getting this warning all this time. I really don’t need to be reminded that much.

4 Likes

Something I noticed, when deleting the fs-base-cgl package using content manager (which is said to be offline textures and such), it totally blocks me from toggling off the Bing data setting in the UI. I wonder if it would also block the internal code from toggling it off.

1 Like

The low bandwidth warning popping up right in my face (in VR) and blocking any input nearly causing me to crash on many occasion is for me the single most irritating thing about this sim. Changing my settings without asking is just adding insult to injury.

I have a 1gb fiber connection and while the AT&T provided modem does suck and needs to be rebooted frequently, more often than not I feel it’s the servers causing these messages not my connection.

So yes please give us an option to disable this warning or change it to a unobtrusive message in the corner of the screen that I don’t have to interact with.
While you’re at it Asobo maybe rework the warning to say if it’s my bandwidth or the servers that is the issue.
Lastly stop changing my settings. I’d rather fly around a melted hellscape then suddenly be back in FSX terrain graphics.

7 Likes

BTW… if you are flying with a Rolling Cache, try turning it off to see if it makes a difference. For me, the darn messages stopped when i turned the Cache off.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately it did not help me (still getting the message with nearly every flight), but hopefully it will help those with faster connections.

I had the same issue, a after I increased the cache to 75 GB all is fine.

2 Likes

agreed, this warning is Horrible

blocking Both your view and control input And requiring input for something that we have no control over is plain dumb
ive lost 2 flights for this happening at landing, one a bushtrip and one a long flight
i do not appreciate being Forced to crash, which was the basic effect of losing control on short final

3 Likes

That’s interesting. Can you confirm whether this also eliminates the warning when flying into completely new areas (that aren’t already existing in the cache)?

That sounds truly awful, luckily I haven’t had this happen to me yet, but then lately I haven’t been flying towards airports due to the poor ground performance. The worst part of these warnings is that they are too intrusive and totally take control.

Added upvote to this suggestion.

Would also like to see the option extended to the “connection lost” pop up box and the subsequent “connected” pop up box.
I’ve had multiple instances where i get the connection lost/connected pop up box cycle, yet all MP traffic and AI traffic and everything else seems to work. Same exact thing happening to other players at the same time as well, verified in group events I’ve been a part of (changing servers makes zero difference).

1 Like

This has to be the single most annoying thing about MSFS. I have ultra-fast everything and am CONSTANTLY plagued by these drop outs (with no fancy map addons running either). It utterly ruins the sim - as by the time you sort out all the dialog boxes (and re-enabled online functionality) your aircraft has lost the plot.

Yes - I’ve read/tried ALL the info and kludges out there - and it’s a Microsoft SERVER fault. Their posts in the “Helpdesk” are total BS.

This all started a couple of updates ago. All it requires is that MS/Asobo simply raise the threshold at which the these disconnects are trapped. It really isn’t rocket science - PLEASE FIX IT.

11 Likes

completely agree. I started monitoring the internet usage of apps and FS is just pulling in a trickle, then blames the user for low bandwidth. not to mention the intrusiveness of the popup that takes control away from the plane until I dismiss it. appalling to say the least. unfathomable that microsoft with its unlimited resources treats paying customers like this. I actually bought this game instead of just renting it on game pass.

I’ve said it once, I’ll say it again, less “free” updates and better working servers.

4 Likes

Just a small icon in a top corner of the screen would be sufficient to advise a current low bandwidth or data disconnection state.

Don’t change any settings that we need to then reapply in the menu. If the bandwidth or data is too low, or a connection is absent, it is clear that ground textures will be affected. Once the data rate returns the icon can disappear and the streaming can recommence.

5 Likes

Please, please can we get this fixed?
I have had multiple times today, whereby the large popup appears stating that it has switched to offline mode, once that completely interrupted my flight in the cruise and because I did not confirm, the flight effectively stopped afterwards.
I have also had these on final approach.
This totally ruines the immersion.

3 Likes

Greetings.
Since I’ve been flying for virtual airlines for decades, I sometimes go away during long haul flights. If the message “Your bandwidth is too low for data streaming, you have been switched to offline mode” occurs, it effectively freezes the airplane in one spot which ruins the whole long haul flight recording as it is keeping the aircraft on the same coordinates until I manually click the message away. Since this is happening when I am away, it ruins the entire flight, which is being recorded via third party flight recorders. It would be very good if:

• the message, when it occurs, wouldn’t effectively pause the flight (freeze the aircraft’s location)
  • have the option to disable this message built into the UI. Same applies to other “switched offline” messages and other notifications, if they occur.

Very many thanks.

2 Likes

Such an old problem and still not fixed. Fascinating. :see_no_evil:

Same, it’s so intermittent. I have a RPi on my desk running a speed test every 10 seconds and I get the Low Bandwidth box when the Pi makes no indication of issues.

I posted this in another thread, but all we need is this, non-interactable. And don’t change any menu options!

So instead of:

or

or

All we need is:

Subtle, not in your vision. Even better would just be a small icon.

5 Likes

To add to this, if you get the message and dont respond for a while (I had to go away from the simulator for an hour or so on a longhaul flight) the UI freezes completely and it is not possible to get the mouse cursor back to press the OK button even.
I have tried all keys, mouse buttons, alt tabbing, windowed/fullscreen etc and it is UI is completely locked. I disconnected internet and connected it and I managed to get the flight resumed in the background of the “WARNING Your bandwidth is too low…” message so I can at least let the cruise part continue and then recreate the flight before descent, but this is getting very annoying. I have had it a few times on longhaul flights so please make this a bit less intrusive and at least dont lock the UI after the dialog shows.