Out Of Band Update For Windows 10 Today

I’ve just noticed an update in windows today to help with issues where people are being sent to microsoft store when launching the sim.

I have been having issues whereby MSFS would crash 50% of the time when starting up but not directing me to store. I have just applied the update and msfs started straight away, and it seemed to be faster than before.

Just thought I’d give a heads up.

Regards.

Hi @TingedTundra94, do you know the KB number for this? Thanks!

KB5004476

Dated 11th june

1 Like

Thank you much! Looks like it was mostly for Xbox Game Pass users:

KB5004476 is an out-of-band patch and it is marked as an optional quality update. This patch should be installed only if you’re having issues when downloading games part of the Game Pass from the Store. Since it is an optional update, it won’t download or install automatically.

After recent Windows or Windows Store updates, some users encountered error codes 0x80073D26 and 0x8007139F whenever they try to install games using Xbox Game Pass on Windows. The process simply failed and users were redirected to the Microsoft Store and Xbox app also returned another error code 0x00000001.

Thank you for posting this! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I’m stuck on that one now… it directs me to the store, tells me I have gaming services installed and does nothing. There’s no updates, still it refuses to start.

Apparently whatever they fixed for people with problems, they broke for people with no problems.

Happens way too often… I’ll see if I can roll back or reinstall game services…

So, now I managed to get to ‘Install on my devices’ by ‘Getting’ it anyway… but it refuses to install cause it doesn’t recognize any of my devices linked to the account :slight_smile:

In the meantime it also keeps claiming it’s already installed. Yet FS keeps redirecting me to the store…

Another fine mess…

if i read your post, your saying that you installed KB5004476 while you had no problem. ??

I sense a ‘blame the victim’ :slight_smile:

I install all Windows updates that are offered. Worked fine for many many years.

the patch note does mention this ^ , that’s why it’s an ‘optional’ download.
always check the description with optional’s if it doesnt apply to your situation then do not install it.

did you make a system restore point before you updated ? then you can roll back to before the update…

Yes, it should be listed as Optional in Windows 10 according to that KB; I don’t have it listed for me (or least not yet). I don’t need this as I don’t have the Game Pass version and so far, MSFS is running good (minus known issues). :slight_smile: Won’t uncross fingers yet!

It was in the main Update screen, seducing me… :expressionless:

It might have said, ‘optional’.

Nevertheless… an ‘optional’ update should not break stuff like this. I’m just stuck. Goes to the store, store says ‘you’re fine’… repeat…

I will dive into some rollbacks, uninstalls etc…

Funny, feature updates do that to me too. I usually wait or research before I install those. But yes, you can roll them back thankfully! :slight_smile:

I think it’s a different update.

It’s KB4023057.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb4023057-update-for-windows-10-update-service-components-fccad0ca-dc10-2e46-9ed1-7e392450fb3a

That’s the only thing that installed today. And after that all hell broke lose. So I have no idea what was installed…

I just checked mine. That one was installed on 20 April. No issues with that.

But I just did a Windows Update check and now that Optional one is showing KB5004476, the one @TingedTundra94 posted about.

Very strange… perhaps it’s rolled in one… Or I’m looking in the wrong place…

I can’t find 5004476, but it seems to be the described problem.

Yesterday the sim was fine. After this update… anyway… I also don’t see where to roll this one back… think I’m gonna kill GameServices and try to reinstall that one…

Oh found it… under ‘other updates’… same date… so I got treated with multiple updates today… (uninstalling it now… fingers crossed…)

Nope, uninstall didn’t solve… still end up in the store…

So, the solution was to repair and reset the GamingServices app.

Now it’s working again.

But, since I’m stubborn, I’m now gonna install that faulty KB again. And see if a repair/reset works then too. :smiley:

1 Like

LOL. Can’t resist?
It does work OK for me. :+1:

1 Like

It’s seducing me again! :smiley:

But seriously… I can’t have this show up in Update and for years to come have to remember NOT to install that one. That’s just silly.

So I want to know…

I hear you, that’s how I am too! ha

1 Like

It’s working… the sim…

I’m not being sent to the store anymore after installing this update.

So not sure what’s going on, but that repair / reset solved it all.

1 Like