Overloading Simconnect on startup?

Using Steam version

I do have community items, but all are compatible and have worked fine for several weeks.

Brief description of the issue:

This is more of a question and a theory dealing with my CTD have recently been having.

So my CTD issues were resolved over the last few weeks after the last major update to the sim, however about a week ago I encountered a CTD while flying VFR. now usually I move all my community folder items to another folder leaving only the “essentials” this caused a CTD when taking off.
I initially thought it was something to do with moving the mouse around too much, like changing views or zooming in. Then I thought about simconnect. After loading everything back again I got a CTD. it was only after slowly re-connecting programs they stopped for that flight.
I had a thought after re-loading the Sim and reconnecting all my 3rd party programs I use. ( I only fly on VATSIM so I have a few programs I need running) Is it possible to overload the simconnect service causing CTD? I use Vpilot, Little Nav Map when VFR flying, SPAD for control mapping and Navigraph for charts. usually connect all of these when flying and pretty much all at the same time.

So far I have not done a lot more research as I’m not sure if this is causing my issues but a running theory I will investigate more into. After CTD event viewer shows nothing that stands out, just FS crashed without warning, the usual 0000005 code
If anyone else has similar please comment, its quite an obscure issue so it might not get any traction.
If my theory seems correct then I will raise a ticket.

Specs:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB ddr4 2666 (I know slow, bad oversight on my part)
RTX2060 ( overclocked using afterburner, changed settings as sim crashed but told me NVidia was to blame, possible dodgy overclock parameters)
1TB SSD with sim on ( installed on its own drive)
latest windows 10 updates/ patches
NVidia drivers up to date
All 3rd party apps up to date and compatible from flgihtsim.to

Should not take too much to make an intentional Simconnect “stress test”, and prove or disprove your theory.
My Guess would be, highly likely !!! - especially when you look at what the disassembled code just before the CTD instruction is trying to do (in so many CTD cases) !!
(Crash dump file analysis)

Hard coded max 64 pipes ??? What happens if one tries to open a 65th ??

1 Like

Not sure if this is the issue anymore, just had a CTD mid flight for no reason. was just in cruise. frustrating! still will investigate.

Did you try to remove ALL overclocks?
No CPU, GPU and I also read somewhere to not even run afterburner.
Put everything to stock with no files in your community folder and add them back one at a time.

I use the MSFS plugin for my switch panel by Logitech (8.0.313.0, it can be downloaded from Logitech support), it causes CTD. I use OnAir Company, that is using simconnect and also causes CTD. I also use LNM, but that looked fine so far, but I didn’t use it in the past few weeks, when I was “debugging” my CTDs. I filed a zendesk ticket because of my switch panel issue, hopefully they can fix it and it fixes your issue too.

interesting, thanks for responding. be god to see what the outcome is. for now I am just running mods needed for the flight I am flying, and removing all other mods in the meantime, just to see if there is a mod that could be causing it. Still think its possibly a simconnect issue though!

Yeah, worth a try, but I did this for weeks after SU5. I removed all mods, liveries, add-ons, etc. I didn’t try the plug in and driver uninstall at that time.

I reinstalled MSFS, even tried to disable Steam cloud sync and deleted all local files, so with the next install I had to configure everything like it was my very first start of the game. I literally went through the community CTD checklist, so I reset all OC on my CPU and VGA, I even downclocked it to the Nvidia factory default values instead of my EVGA factory OC values, disabled XMP, so down to 2400MHz instead of 3200. Reinstalled VC++, “reinstalled” US English language pack for windows, so literally everything.

Then I did a clean install of Windows 10, activated it with my retail key, updated to the latest version. Installed Nvidia driver, Logitech yoke driver and MSFS plug-in, then I only installed Steam and MSFS. I got a CTD on my very first try. Then I tried to uninstall the plug in and it worked. I did some short (traffic patterns, 10-30 minutes short trips) and longer (2-3 hours) flights without the plug in, all went fine. After I reinstalled the plug in, it crashed after 1,5 minutes, just sitting at a parking spot in the C172.

But this took me a few hours of “gameplay”, and let me tell you: I did not enjoy it at all.

Thankfully I have 2 PC that I can game on. I have a i9 10900KF, Asus Z490E mobo, 32GB 3600mhz Gskills ram and Asus Tuf 3080. No complaints and performs like a champ! I decided to build another PC i9 11900K, Z590E, 32GB corsair 3600mhz ram and Asus Strix 3090. I figured why not as it’ll be fun… Well it certainly was fun assembling the PC, powering it up for the very first time and installing windows successfully. After installing all the drivers and what not I installed MSFS and all went well after a few hours I ws up and flying around… No problems for the first 2 days… Then as I’ve done with my other PC I went into the bios and played around XMP, AI overclock… basic stuff. I don’t know what happened buy shortly after that CTD! I of course changed the bios back to defaults and still CTD. I saw a video recently about updating the bios, so I did succesfully. Powered back up all good new bios installed and still CTD??? I went thru the fixes on the Zendesk to no avail😪 the sim will start up no problems and all good I can even move the mouse around quickly and the 3090 keeps up. The i9 11900K is zippiing along @ 4.9-5ghz even without OC. But after some time from 20 min to 2 hours no matter what I’m doing in the sim…“Oh no, not again” as the stutter start and 99% of the time it’s-CTD!!!
So, being that I have a very capable PC that I can sim on, I’ll be reinstalling soon as I’m still serching the forums and youtube to see if there is anything else to try? Should I also do a reinstall of windows? as my PC is new and no other data on it yet.

Had another one today, removed all but the Mods I know work and i only need for that flight. I was playing around with the calculator and Navi graph during the crash. coming to the conclusion there is no logical reason for the crashes. just wish the Sim would tell us why its crashing, rather than saying it has no idea!