Overspeed around 300 kts

What is the normal cuising speed for an A320. At Flighradar24 I see planes flying around 450 kts but when I fly that speed I get the overspeed warning.
And what is the difference between True Airspeed (TAS) and the speed you’re flying?

Maybe look that up before flying an airliner :smile:

3 Likes

Quick Google Search:
Airliners.net.

1 Like

See section 3:

economical cruising speed 840km/h (454kt) at 37,000ft

When I set this speed I’ll get an overspeed warning…

2 Likes

Je hebt gelijk ouwe reus😉

280ktns in normal. The higher you get in cruise level the slower you should go. But 280ktns works fine for maximum 330ft cruise level. Everything else you see at Flight radar is ground speed. Means Flight speed+wind+enviromental circumstances and maybe also earth rotation (depends on which direction you´re heading).

1 Like

Thanks a lot! That’s what I was looking for!
Happy flying!

While cruising use mach instead of IAS, for the 320 it’s cruise speed is mach 0.78

1 Like

Flightradar24 shows the ground speed, not the airspeed. Airspeed is the rate at which the air is hitting the plane, whereas ground speed is the speed based on the physical distance travelled. As you go higher, the air gets thinner, so the difference the between the airspeed and ground speed is greater. That is the reason you are seeing what you have described.

May be some people just try to play FS without having a ton of knowledge. Not everyone needs to know the difference between TAS IAS CAS, etc. to actually enjoy flying. But instead of making fun we could help out to a better community, we hardcore extreme simmers and casual player can exchange / reach out. :upside_down_face:
Cheers

6 Likes

Air is a liquid. You may not think of it like that, but it is. The higher you go, the less dense it gets and the faster (IAS) you fly. 300 knots IAS @ FL 400 is different from 300 @ FL 100.

The aggregate airspeed over land that you are actually flying in towards your destination is ground speed, also known as True airspeed TAS. Chuck Yeager probably knew this, punched a hole through Mach 1 and didn’t die flying the X1 by going up high and punching it.

Hope that clears out things.

You think I’m not aware not everyone has the same skill level? You see the smile behind that message? Don’t take it too seriously. If you think I’m making fun of him, you’re wrong.

P.S. I’m far from a hardcore extreme simmer. Not enough room :frowning:

Air is a fluid, not a liquid :joy:

(“Liquid” is a state of matter such as solid or gas, “fluid” describes a substance that flows, such as water, syrup, or air :wink: )

You really need to be more precise when you say things like “the slower you go”.

TAS True Sir Speed
IAS Indicated AIr Spped
CAS Calibrated Air speed.
and GROUND SPEED.

You actually travel FASTER, the higher you go for a given power level, and that is indicated by your GROUND Speed.
It’s your instrument, if measuring AIR Speed, that reduce, because of the effect of a less denser atmosphere. Your GPS will give you Ground Speed, which will ultimately determine how quickly you get to your destination.

True airspeed will also generally increase if you climb at a given power setting, because of the decreased drag at higher altitudes . In a no-wind condition, ground speed will be equal to true airspeed. If the winds are different at higher altitudes , your ground speed will increase or decrease accordingly.

This is incorrect. Ground speed is very different from TAS.

Close.

As you go up, the air is less dense, so the difference between Indicated Airspeed and True Airspeed is greater. Ground speed is TAS accounting for wind speed and direction and the effect on the aircraft.

1 Like

Hey Buddy, If someone is asking what´s the cruise speed for an A320, I guess there is not great background knowledge of aviation or machine specs. So I´m not bombing him with all the technical jargon in to confuse himin first step. But thanks for making it clear that “Speed” has got different characters in aviation.