Owners of GeForce 600/700/900 series cards, please chime in

The grainy clouds have been there since launch. Itā€™s just an artifact of the way they do the volumetric rendering. You donā€™t always notice it (depends on conditions, cloud type, lighting conditions etc etc), but it has been around for ages.

More like theyā€™ve always been there, I recall thinking the issue was quite noticeable in the E3 2019 footage. While at launch it seemed to be less of a problem, I think that the 1.10.7.0 patch definitely did something that made the issue look worse. While I canā€™t try the clouds for myself, Iā€™m seeing some screenshots where the grain and pixelation looks truly terrible.

It might have to do with the new TAA. In a couple of recent flights I thought that the shadow denoising on the cockpits was not working as well compared to before, but I have pretty much given up on the simulator for now so I havenā€™t tested this thoroughly.

Hello Chaotic, actually the card I got was the 2080 Super.
The new card worked fine @ ultra settings (limited fps to 30, to reduce fan noise)
No more cloud flickering with this card.

Unfortunately it seems the card just died - after only a few days of usage.
Had nothing to do with my ā€œold systemā€ - was watching power supply and all vital signs of the card closely with my hardware monitor - and all the numbers were excellent. Then suddenly while I was flying in MSFS the screen went black and the computer went out.
When trying to restart got red flashing LED on my MB and no system start.
Tried multiple times, no chance.

Put back my old Quadro K4000 and the PC runs as usual.
So I guess you can now welcome me back in the club of the ā€œflickering cloudsā€ :wink:

1 Like

Oh no! So unlucky! Welcome back to the club I guess. Will you RMA the card? Hopefully a replacement is on its way soon.

While a fix for this issue is not coming in the next update, it might be worked on for a future patch. These news seem positive and we know they are looking into fixing this now.

1 Like

I found a fix for flashing objects in 1.11.6.0 in the Debug menu :grinning: :sunglasses:

Turn off: Options | Volumetric atmospheric effects

It immediatly removed the flashing sky. Turning it on the flashing sky comes back.

I have a GTX-750 TI on a Xeon 4-core

Is this a new option with the patch? Does it retain the clouds? If yes thatā€™s good to hear. Sadly I cannot test it for myself yet, still got around 8GB to download before I can play.

I tried your suggestion but it is not really a fix. All that seems to happen, at least for me, is that yes - there is no flickering, but - there are also no clouds, there seems to be just a haze in the sky.
Even if I change weather to storm or rain - still no actual clouds just a haze with light rain.

Yeah, thatā€™s not really a fix. Itā€™s a workaround that has been there all along. It just takes the clouds away all together.

If itā€™s the same option as before then that was known for quite some time, this eliminates the flickering but at the cost of completely removing the clouds. Pretty much the same workaround as flying with Clear Skies, but this can be useful in bush trips and landing challenges where you are not permitted to change the weather preset.

Ok understoood.

But you can still use Live weather, which gives live winds but no clouds. We have too many clouds in the UK, for free if you need some, but I wonā€™t miss them ha ha

Iā€™ve bought a used GTX 1060 with 6GB, which should be 2.7 times faster than my GTX-750TI. ā€œIā€™m dreaming of a white christmasā€¦ā€

1 Like

I hadnā€™t thought about the winds, thatā€™s a good point.

Yep, live winds is a better compromise than clear skies and minimal winds.

Edit: live temperatures also

1 Like

I agree, it is. In fact, for my recent tour through Alaska, having no clouds has been a blessing in disguiseā€¦I can actually see the landscape lol

There is now a report of the GTX 1050 Ti experiencing the flashing clouds issue since the latest patch. Could owners of the GT 1030, GTX 1050, GTX 1050 Ti and maybe even the entire Pascal line-up chime in regarding this issue?

You can add the GTX 880M to this list. I have the problem too.

Ron

1 Like

I have a GTX970M in my Alienware laptop, it runs around 35+FPS and is using mostly higher settings. First I think that Nvidia should make a new driver to help combat this issue. Also before the latest patch, I was fine no flashing etc. Once the update was installed I started seeing the flashing/blinking screen. I found that turning off the ā€œBLOOMā€ function fixes the issue for me, has anyone else tried that?

I tried that but did not make a difference for me.

I think yours might be a different issue, your GTX 970M is using the Maxwell 2.0 architecture which does not seem to be affected by the flickering clouds. Once someone suggested turning all settings down for a workaround which included Bloom as well, but it didnā€™t seem to do anything for me.

Check out the videos in the first post of the thread Iā€™m linking below, are you seeing the same thing?