Owners of GeForce 600/700/900 series cards, please chime in

I have the same problem with the flickering of the clouds, and what makes me angry the most is that I just bought the simulator 2 days ago, and it already has problems

2 Likes

Please check out the post I’m linking for more information regarding the issue you’re experiencing.

I do have the issue of cloud flickering with my HP All-in-one which has the GTX 950M. Clear skies, no problem, any type of weather, unplayable.

1 Like

Check out the post I’m linking right above your own post for more information on the matter. Unfortunately there’s not a lot you can do about this now other than upgrading to a newer system.

Zelfde probleem. Zeer irritant

Minimum is 770

770 is minimum

The GTX 770, GTX 780, GTX 780 Ti, GTX Titan and GTX Titan Black are getting the same issue as well. All of those meet or exceed the minimum.

The GTX 750 and GTX 750 Ti do not meet the minimum performance, but they have a newer architecture than the above GPUs that works better with more recent games.

I know about Kepler and Maxwell.

Nobody with less than a minimum card should be complaining or raising issues about anything

Have you tried the 2070 Super yet? I am talking to 2 people in a facebook group who both claim to have the cloud flickering on their systems now. First I have seen this on something that wasn’t Kepler or Maxwell based GPU. If you have the 2070 Super now, are you getting the flickering?

1 Like

Paging @OriginalGuGa who is the one with the RTX 2070 Super.

That’s quite interesting. Which GPU models do they have, and did this start with a simulator update or just randomly? Also can they take a look at this video and confirm that this is the exact same problem they are having?

They both have only said 2070 Super. One said it started a few weeks back, I don’t know if it was after an update yet. I asked your questions and posted the video link. I am waiting for their responses. I had posted another video of the problem, one of them liked the video, but didn’t acknoledge they were actually seeing the same. I advised them to submit a Zendesk report. I’ll add more if they respond to your questions.

1 Like

So one of my 2070 super contacts has confirmed he is not seeing this problem, he thought I was talking about cloud pixelation/dithering. I have yet to hear from the other person, but based on his comments in another part of the thread asking about reducing the “graininess” of the clouds, it doesn’t look like he is actually experiencing our issue either.

I see. The clouds appearing grainy and pixelated is also another issue since the new cloud rendering system with the 1.10.7.0 patch and it doesn’t seem to be specific to any GPU. In fact this could be affecting everyone no matter their system, but not everyone has the same tolerance against artifacts like aliasing, shimmering and so on. It is unfortunate that Asobo will not be transparent regarding what was changed in that patch. Thank you for the reports though.

2 Likes

The grainy clouds have been there since launch. It’s just an artifact of the way they do the volumetric rendering. You don’t always notice it (depends on conditions, cloud type, lighting conditions etc etc), but it has been around for ages.

More like they’ve always been there, I recall thinking the issue was quite noticeable in the E3 2019 footage. While at launch it seemed to be less of a problem, I think that the 1.10.7.0 patch definitely did something that made the issue look worse. While I can’t try the clouds for myself, I’m seeing some screenshots where the grain and pixelation looks truly terrible.

It might have to do with the new TAA. In a couple of recent flights I thought that the shadow denoising on the cockpits was not working as well compared to before, but I have pretty much given up on the simulator for now so I haven’t tested this thoroughly.

Hello Chaotic, actually the card I got was the 2080 Super.
The new card worked fine @ ultra settings (limited fps to 30, to reduce fan noise)
No more cloud flickering with this card.

Unfortunately it seems the card just died - after only a few days of usage.
Had nothing to do with my “old system” - was watching power supply and all vital signs of the card closely with my hardware monitor - and all the numbers were excellent. Then suddenly while I was flying in MSFS the screen went black and the computer went out.
When trying to restart got red flashing LED on my MB and no system start.
Tried multiple times, no chance.

Put back my old Quadro K4000 and the PC runs as usual.
So I guess you can now welcome me back in the club of the “flickering clouds” :wink:

1 Like

Oh no! So unlucky! Welcome back to the club I guess. Will you RMA the card? Hopefully a replacement is on its way soon.

While a fix for this issue is not coming in the next update, it might be worked on for a future patch. These news seem positive and we know they are looking into fixing this now.

1 Like

I found a fix for flashing objects in 1.11.6.0 in the Debug menu :grinning: :sunglasses:

Turn off: Options | Volumetric atmospheric effects

It immediatly removed the flashing sky. Turning it on the flashing sky comes back.

I have a GTX-750 TI on a Xeon 4-core