Owners of GeForce 600/700/900 series cards, please chime in

So what does it have to do with then? because this is bound to happen on old cards that are below the requirements.Least people can do is upgrade to a modern GPU.
Not something I see as priority on Asobo’s end since its only happen on certain cards!

I had a 750ti and had graphical issues similar to what was mentioned here! now have an rtx20x series and my issues are gone!.The issues are clearly happening on these old cards.Why on earth would Asobo fix something that’s happening on GPUs that are below system requirements?
Did you see FaddishSauce657 Zendesk message from Zendesk.
I am not surprised this didn’t even made to the feedback snapshot! Is my post irrelevant now? Upgrade your GPU.

1 Like

Very simple - these cards are NOT below the published current requirements.
People, including myself, would NOT have purchased this sim if we did not meet the requirements.

5 Likes

Lol that’s easy. I’m accepting donations.

No! Even though I could upgrade I fail to see y my 3 year old notebook is obsolete when in fact it works very well.

The main issue is that Asobo is still announcing these cards as compatible. Heck, they can’t even provide us with a proper explanation. And therefore any consumer would think they are being supported when they are not. Even if they run on low settings things shouldn’t be flickering on the screen. Or worse, working properly on even inferior devices

In my country this is understood as false advertisement and it’s actually illegal. As a customer I think I deserve more respect or simply the truth.

6 Likes

I have new notebook with rtx2060 and this problem doesn’t exist.
But now is new problem with inactive challenge window.

As SimAirFlyer replied to you, many of us asking for a fix on the flickering clouds issue own graphics cards which are NOT below system requirements.

I just purchased a 2070 so will most likely not be affected by the issue anymore soon.
But I do watch this thread and how Asobo treats this issue very closely.
I want to know who I am dealing with.

Often actions speak louder than words, so if this is swept under the carpet - It sends a very loud and clear signal on how Asobo sees its customers.

6 Likes

If they do this now, other problems may be the same even if we buy new computers

3 Likes

It is easy for someone with a bleeding-edge GPU to just tell others “upgrade”, but they don’t realise that if Asobo keep this up, then their own card could become obsolete one day “just so”, without a real explanation and a notice in advance. And then have to waste days of research to find out what is wrong, only to be told to “upgrade”.

Asobo did not handle this in a good way, and even if it doesn’t get this problem fixed, we need to let them know that it’s not alright for an entire range of GPUs to become obsolete from one patch to another because of an undocumented change just two months after release, without a public and definitive statement, and with the minimum requirements not being updated.

And no, the GTX 770, GTX 780, GTX 780 Ti and the GTX Titan Black are not below the minimum requirements. And by extension, it means that the game should work on GPUs with the same or newer architecture even if performance is lower, because there is no change in the feature set.

3 Likes

This exactly. I’m not currently affected, but for how long. These cards that are affected worked just fine before update#5. Asobo broke it then said “oh, your card is outdated so live with it” even though it meet their specs and worked prior to the patch. How long before Asobo decides the 10 series cards are outdated? The 20 series? Now you see the problem???

3 Likes

I feel cheated.
The minimum requirements are GTX 770 4gb.
It outperforms 1050 in tests. All other games work.
And MFS2020 worked before. Everything suited me.
Now I have to pay money by buying new equipment.
But I won’t do it because of one game.
I love aviation. I liked the MFS2020 simulator. But I have no choice but to drop the MFS2020.
I can’t use it.

3 Likes

Just a little update from my side. Since this thread has been moved to PC & Hardware it fits quite well.

I just got my new graphics card - unlike planned it is not a 2070s but a 2080s.
Fortunately the card fit into my 8 year old rig, but I did have to buy adapter cables for the power supply (6Pin to 8Pin adapters). The system runs stable with my old 600W power supply - no need to update to 650W or more.

The performance increase compared to my old quadro K4000 is immense. Instead of Low settings I can now run MSFS on the Ultra preset with 20-50 FPS (Terrain and object detail settings decreased from 200 to 100). My old processor (Intel Xenon E5 1620 - 3.5 GHZ) keeps up well.

Only problem is heat. If I keep my PC case closed the fans go crazy when running MSFS, so I have to keep the side of my case open to give the components enough air - making the PC louder than it used to be - and opening it up for dust.

So the cloud flickering is now gone. But it cost me close to 500€ - quiet a bit of cash to spend to keep a game/sim running. Of course other software also benefits from the upgrade, otherwise I would not have done it - especially since there is a very real danger that Asobo at some point decides to make CPU’s like my Intel Xeon E5 obsolete.

I still hope for those that at the moment can not - or do not want to - spend a few hundred bucks for new hardware that Asobo finds a way to accommodate for older but still performant systems.
All users would benefit from a considerate developer that tries to not let customers down.
Just saying “turn off clouds” is not a solution, since this also disables winds and makes the challenges impossible to fly.

2 Likes

TYA2112, you can vote on the clouds issue here.
We got quite a few votes already, but each additional one is appreciated.

Maybe Asobo will eventually take notice of this issue and work on a fix.

That is a nice upgrade and a good deal considering the supply issues of the new cards. It should give you lots of enjoyment for years to come!

Unfortunately the heat can be a problem indeed, one of the reasons I avoid buying high-end hardware. In order to squeeze out all the performance, their clocks are boosted without any regard to power efficiency. This means that you can try reducing the GPU’s power limit or undervolt and lose only a very small amount of performance but reduce the heat considerably. This is especially a thing on the newer Ampere GPUs, but doing a quick search it seems to be an effective solution for RTX 2080 Super owners as well.

Your CPU probably won’t become obsolete unless for some reason the simulator starts requiring AVX2 instructions at some point. But the CPU architectures listed in the minimum requirements (Zen and Haswell) do support it so if it becomes mandatory at some point then we cannot argue with that.

1 Like

Absolete cards, i use 2 780ti cards in sli and sometimes in single gpu mode, and i have these flickering clouds as well, but if turned this volumetric atmospheric thing in the dev mode off, i chance some cloud and wind setting and can see from the shade on the ground that these shaders are still see clouds. Since i noticed in my experience, a lot of layers mixed together which form the Total simulator as the connector together with the so called streaming data, rolling cache.

Now i think is it possible that on the older cards the .dll files might not be sufficient anymore this i think has to do with different partnership in devellopment of the sim as well as with the comming of the new generation of graphics cards where we still benefit from the new drivers etc, that in my humble opinion it a little bit unfair to blame it all on asobo.

" # Nvidia Partner "

Nvidia drivers that came out same day as the game had woked fine for me up until patch 5.

For me it went downhill with the clouds also after patch5 and i will try to uninstall them nvidia drivers, and role back to earlier drivers to see what happens on my system maybe i learn a thing or two out of it.

I was getting the issue both with 456.71 and 457.09, I actually updated to the new drivers later that day only to see if they would fix the issue.

I believe someone else said that rolling back to 452.06 did not help either.

1 Like

Rolling back drivers did not help me, so I reinstalled the latest.
No, the problem is with MSFS/ASOBO

1 Like

Sorry for my english

The strange thing i find is that there are so many games these days, and a graphics card last for says 3 maybe 4 years to keep up.

My 2x 780ti cards which 3 gb each and can run fluently this flightsim with taa slider at 120, some settings to ultra and to other sliders full 200, vsync at 60 before i start a flight the heaviest airport i use are Eham or Ksea, so i load with these settings than in dev mode i set the fps counter on and volumetrics off i make some scenery settings like building trees etc to high settings and some to medium, clouds to low, waves to whatever i feel like (depending on what i will do, “i love the wind effect on the plane and keep controlling it with rudder and ailerion as well as trim” also known as flying) photogrammetry off because i feel no need to fly over appocalliptic cities. So i do enjoy this sim but the clouds are eating frames always have since the beginning.
The thing is when after sometime of flying my cards both working in taskmanager. and on fps counter bottom gpu counter around 3800/2510 around 26fps. I will if getting near Eham get difference in the ground looks of the sim, but i turn vsync back to 20 save fps counter stalls at 10, then set back vsync to 60 and frame counter climbs back to 26. And also the gpu counter refresh. So i think from this that the cache has a very slow or no release.

All to all asobo has proven that they can manipulatie cards to enormous accelleration, and they have a very clever way of programming.

About these clouds i think that is has to do with the 3d11.dll or something, coz these older cards are not eqquiped for highly dynamic clouds, but we should be able to use them even if it would be in a very low setting.

2 Likes

I have the GF 750 board that makes me that inconvenience … impossible to use the simulator

2 Likes