Bring back Clouds previous to update 5

The reason for this request is that owners of the NVIDIA Kepler and Maxwell 1.0 GPUs (GeForce 600/700/800 and partially 900 series) cannot play the simulator with clouds enabled since the 1.10.7.0 patch due to the massive cloud flicker. According to support this is not a bug, but an issue that is caused by low-end GPUs.
Experimentation by some users has shown however that the explanation given by support is questionable, since integrated Intel graphics which are way lower in performance than the Kepler- or Maxwell-based GPUs are able to display clouds without flicker.
It is very likely that the issue actually is a compatibility issue. Issues such as this can be resolved.
Furthermore, it has been reported that the new cloud system, introduced with 1.10.7.0, looks worse compared to before, as it makes the clouds appear very grainy and pixelated in some circumstances.

1 Like

Voted - Thanks BlueAlbatros for putting the explanation into your OP.

7 Likes

Voted, thanks!

1 Like

Maxwell 1.0 seems to be fully affected as well, at least the popular GM107 chip (found in the GTX 750, GTX 750 Ti, GTX 950M, GTX 960M and a few others). Don’t know about GM108, there is just one user in this forum who cannot even get the game to work (but can do so with integrated Intel graphics).

As someone who is affected by the flashing clouds issue I fully agree with a revert. Even though according to the developers there was an improvement to the cloud system with the latest patch (nothing mentioned in the patch notes though), I see lots of people complaining about the clouds looking more grainy and pixelated now. Reverting those changes would benefit pretty much everyone.

5 Likes

They keep breaking â– â– â– â– ! The water look so good on day one with calm winds - then they get rid of all the great water masking and make the water looks like rubber dog sh*t without wind and waves. NOW they break clouds wtf. Even the night lighting looked great day one and somehow that got screwed up too with ground illumination and ugly street lights on the highway

8 Likes

Voted as well, here’s hoping

1 Like

Yeah, what happened to the surf? Seems like I could see it moving before, now always look static. Waves in wind look better as seen in some landing challenges, but the surf at 1st looked really good and not fake like some roads, vehicles and underwater bridges roads docks boats.

2 Likes

How i was expecting pre-release to these clouds…clouds surfing… instead its pixels surfing.

1 Like

Original post is updated.

1 Like

Sim concordo plenamente com esse tĂłpico

This is completely ridiculous indeed :rage: tried to figure out the problems for days now. Every update is messing up something while the main goal of an update is to fix problems, you guys introduce new issues :ok_hand:t2: :clap:t2:

Why can’t you just leave us the choice to go further with the update or not? I mean the clouds were fully functionnal with the previous versions, now you state that the flashing is a “hardware problem”? I simply don’t believe that and this is purely a discrimination of people having older graphic cards.

So please be kind and let us reverse to a funcionnal version where we would enjoy cloud surfing, again!

Kind regards,

Zach

4 Likes

Please vote Bring back Clouds previous to update 5.

1 Like

Yes please change it to the old cloud system, because it is also a problem (grainy and pixelated) on my ATI Radeon RX 950

Is there anyway we can temporarily revert back to the old version and then we can use our firewalls to never update again? Still using an older system that runs FS with no hiccups besides the warning that my computer might not be fast enough.

I can’t seem to find any 30 series vid cards available right now even if anyone wanted to upgrade.

Since people are complaining that there really is no improvement, can we not just delay this update after everything else has been fixed?

This is so frustrating.

It is said that an older version is available via torrent and that it can be made to work, but I don’t know where that torrent would be and it would definitely not be legal. Considering the issues that might arise as the online services continue to be adjusted to the most recent version, I don’t think the effort would be worth it in the long run.

If you are looking to upgrade, next month should be a better time with more GPU models added to the mix. The RTX 3060 Ti will use a cut-down GA104 chip which means yields (and availability) should be better, and it seems that AMD did a good job at preventing scalpers from snatching all the Zen 3 CPUs so it should be easier to get an RX 6000 GPU as a gamer, unless the mining rumour is true.

For now, all we can do is upvote this thread and file Zendesk reports.

2 Likes

Seems like they didn’t even tested this clouds, is pathetic see the gtx 770 in the minimum requirements and sh** like this happen, i tested with my Intel UHD 630 and for my surprise the clouds work, but with 10 FPS

Here same problem with GTX770
Voted!

1 Like

Yes, a few others also said the same, that the issue is not present with integrated Intel graphics from the same period. Contacting support about this does not even get you a proper response, but if you do try it, please let us know what their answer is.

1 Like

does anyone know if update # 6 fixed the flickering clouds issue, or will I have to buy PC. :frowning:

Nope. It’s still a problem for many of us here. It’s so boring to fly with clear skies. Before update#5 and now #6 it was a lot of fun. I’m hoping the developers will hear us. The visuals was also even better before any of the updates.

2 Likes