Intolerable flashing in top third of screen since update

Please vote Bring back Clouds previous to update 5.

Actually X-Plane 11.5 release version let’s you switch between OpenGL grapics engine and Vulcan/Metal graphics engine. The reason being that older systems may not support Vulcan/Metal - or not run it very well - while newer systems benefit from the newer graphics engines.

If Asobo were to go a similar road, they could unleash the full visual power of MSFS (without worrying too much about lower end systems) making the high enders happy - while having a fall back for the low enders. And everyone would be all cozy and happy (hippiedance… :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :heart_eyes: :grin:)

Anyways, don’t forget to VOTE on the Bring back Clouds issue - vote count is rising, so MAYBE we see an improvement…

1 Like

Please vote Bring back Clouds previous to update 5.

hi thanks for the contribution, deactivate ambient occlusion from nvidia control panel and from FS2020 and the same happens.

Same problem here. I was trying the landing activities and this happened. If I restart the landing activity several times, this issue disappears. The issue starts in the preloading screen and resumes into the actual flight. I thought maybe because of my computer specs but noticed this thread. Hope it gets fixed soon!

Unfortunately there is very little chance it will be fixed soon, because according to support those GPUs are too old to handle the new cloud rendering system. More than 15 people have received a similar response.

If you would like to help change their mind, I would recommend sending a Zendesk report, and to upvote this Wishlist thread.

After sending a complain to the zen desk I have received this answer :
Support (Microsoft Flight Simulator)

Nov 17, 2020, 17:05 GMT+1

Hi Philippe,

Thanks for bringing this matter to our attention.

This issue has been tracked in our internal bug tracker to be fixed in an upcoming patch. Please keep an eye on our development updates & Patch Notes in the next weeks.

Kind regards,
Microsoft Flight Simulator Support

So We must keep faith in our good old laptops and their GTX 960M as well as others :smiley:

4 Likes

Thanks. Unfortunately someone received a slightly different response yesterday, which said:

“Our developers are aware of the issue, but we do not know if/when the flickering issue will be resolved.”

I would not remain so hopeful. Unfortunately the inconsistency in their responses is continuing.

They perhaps changed their mind today… let’s keep hope :wink: because honestly this is not only a cloud flickering issue, I have a dual white zone looking like front cockpit windows moving everywhere on the display while moving the POV. This is with the display’s parameters at the lower level possible. So for me it is a major display issue that MUST be fixed. I can understand a minimum level of hardware to play but not a major change like this from one day to another due to a simple patch. Everything was very correct at medium level display with the same hardware before the patch applied.

Ditto. I noticed the window zone yesterday - it was not cloud based, more like the entire sky visible through the windows. Weather was live but mostly clear.

From my development experience it could well be graphics code problem which they found.

Hello,

I read with interest your advice because I have an insurmountable problem with FlightSimulator2020.

For several months, the game worked very well. No software or hardware problems, I can play without any problem in intermediate or high quality.

Following one of the latest updates, here’s what happened:

• the presentation screens that were clicked on to launch the game have disappeared. At launch, after the different logos, the screen displays the Fuji image, the update searches and finally the game itself.

• When I arrive on the game, I notice that the view of the hangar behind the menus appears in several off-set colors (a bit like on an image created for 3D glasses), it also sparkles. Then at the launch of a flight, the sky vibrates very loudly and on the landscape of the masks, (silhouettes of planes, ground-to-air boundaries) are cut out !

Impossible to play in these conditions!!

So I uninstalled the game, then I completely re-installed it: nothing!

It has even become worse, because now in addition to these display problems, training flights and bush flights display gray skylights and are therefore no longer activatable!

Taking my courage in both hands, I uninstalled the software a second time, reset window10 on the (C:) SSD drive and reinstalled FS2020 on a supposedly new basis.

Well, nothing has changed! All of the above errors are present!

And I’m good at reinstalling all other software on my drive!

Help me out!

What more can I do?

Thank you for helping me.

Best regards

Michel

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz 3.50GHz
Installed RAM memory 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
GeForce GTX 780 Ti graphics card

There is nothing you can do. With the 1.10.7.0 patch, a new cloud rendering system was introduced which is incompatible with your GTX 780 Ti, as well as all GeForce 600/700/800 and some 900 series GPUs. Your GPU is now considered obsolete by the simulator, and according to support responses, it will probably remain unsupported. Only solution is to play with Clear Skies for now.

They also said that probability of this issue getting fixed depends on the amount of reports they receive about this issue. So if you’d like to help change their mind, send a Zendesk report for the issue, and please upvote the following threads I’m linking.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/regarding-shifting-system-requirements/322707/

1 Like

Yep nothing to do except praying waiting or buying a new graphic card if you’re not using a laptop…I’m not sure that this situation were a duly purchased software that was fully usable becomes fully unusable for some by the sole decision of the provider is legally acceptable. This happens often for new versions of some software but at least the ancient versions continue to be usable. Here we have no possibility not applying the patches. According me a class action for a total refund is surely possible.

In such a case they will probably resort to claiming that the clouds are a graphics setting, that should be turned to the lowest when playing on a GPU that is close to the minimum requirement. This is effectively what they’re doing with the support responses. I don’t think we can win against Microsoft.

Maybe we could have a chance if more people took a stance against this, or if major gaming sites and YouTube channels picked up on this story, but the amount of affected users is too small for anyone else to care. Nobody other seems to realise that anyone who does not upgrade their hardware often could also have this happen to them at some point in the future.

No, they’re saying to turn clouds off completely.

Clouds worked fine on these systems before update 1.10.7.0 and the users with these cards purchased the game with MS and Asobo listing the minimum specs as including their cards. MS/Asobo changed the clouds after all these people had bought the game with full ackonwledgment of the minimum spec listed (and still listed as such) by MS/Asobo. A bait and switch if there ever was one and then a plain out fraud (still listing the minimum spec as including these cards).

1 Like

I am gonna end my game pass subcription if this issue doesn’t fixed in next update. My graphic card is gtx780 ti. It was a supported card when msfs 2020 released.

This is a huge disappointment for me.

2 Likes

I meant that they would treat it as some graphics setting that can be turned off, like depth-of-field, bloom, reflections and so on. While a bogus claim, it would probably be enough to help them win a class action if one were made.

I would like to repeat that it is absolutely not a simple problem of blinking clouds but a complete mess of the display from inside cockpit or outside views even with parameters at their lowest level. Once the bug starts, generally after pressing esc then resume, the cockpit windows sample part of the sky that is then moved as white cockpit glasses everywhere added to the blinking clouds…so it is clearly a bug and not a simple performance issue even if this bug is only revealed on some types of GPU that where working fine before …

4 Likes

We get that message too on gtx960m

I noticed that yesterday as well, very annoying.