Pa44 feather engine in flight

I tried feathering pa44 engine for single flight operation. I was not able to do it. Can some one help me with this

Bring the prop all the way back. Then make sure it goes down the final bit into the hashed region. I pull it back with the mouse and then use the mouse scroll wheel to get it into the feather position.

1 Like

Can’t speak for the Seminole, but I know the Baron won’t feather completely in the sim. Props should come to a complete stop pretty quickly when you feather it. And drag should reduce compared to when the prop was windmilling. Same problem with the KingAir.

1 Like

The PA44 does feathering. Follow the procedures for the feahtering which is provided in the emergency procedures.
Also the drag will significantly reduce when you feather the engine compared to not doing this - which is quite nice. If you have an engine failure and dont feather the engine, you wont have enough power for a stable climb. I was always hitting near vmca. I never flown airplanes with more than one engine irl, but looking at youtube videos and the manual, carenado may need rework the power output settings.

1 Like

I am a commercial multi engine pilot. I’m hoping to try today and see if I can feather it. Going to attempt the suggestion above of using the mouse scroll. I may not have pushed the prop to feather position enough. Will report back.

2 Likes

Could be it, I am using a throttle which makes this easy without looking down etc.

With my Cessna throttle quadrant, there is a detent at the bottom of the prop lever axis, but for the love of me I can’t figure out how to map that detent (it’s registered as a button) to a command in sim to get the prop into the feather range. Apparently the prop axis is a negative number in feathered position, and my prop lever axis only gets mapped from 0-100. I’ve tried various other keybindings, feather, toggle prop reverse etc, but can’t figure it out. So I just pull the prop lever back, then use the mouse to drag it into the negative before the plane prop slows down too much.

I’ve noticed in the latest sim update that the single engine performance is a lot more in line with the POH. I used to hardly get 200fpm climb at Uluru, but now can get 400+ and even takeoff rather easily on one engine.

Almost all set for a single engine RTW flight then.

VirtualFly does too My issue was i didnt realize i had to delete the axis in sim and let the program do it. I now use FSUIPC now though, very good program

I was finally able to feather the engine. I had to scroll the mouse wheel down. Turning on the engine on flight is not realistic at all. introduce fuel and boom, its on. On the real plane you have to pitch down to get the engine going. But its all good. the plane is well done. And its fun to practice this stuff on the sim. hope everyone is enjoying the plane as much as I am.

There are various issues with the seminole. One thing that stands out is just how much power the Carenado Seminole has. The real Seminole can be brought to 110 KIAS in a traffic pattern quite comfortably with 18" MAP, while in the Carenado Seminole you basically have to idle it and drop gear and flaps to get it to slow down.

The engine is featherable. I’m not sure if it does any good, though, I did hear from various posts on here that prop drag isn’t properly simulated.

1 Like

I was able to move the prop levers into feather position with a joystick button by mapping the button to send the value -3260 to the SimConnect event PROP_PITCH1_SET. I use the Axis and Ohs program and added a script for each prop like this:

-3260 (>K:PROP_PITCH1_SET)
-3260 (>K:PROP_PITCH2_SET)
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.