Paris-Dakar Rally Race Day and Results Thread

I did not finished the race, had a CTD at the Moroccan coast that set me back to Sevilla. Was already awake for 31 hours so decided to stop, so you can put me on the list as not finished.

1 Like

Looking back at this - boy does it feel good to have it done, haha!

https://simair.io/logbook/NERIKENAUT/flight/31394

eventTime: 2021-07-04T02:31:19.285Z

type: PARKED

2 Likes

Finally made it after

• 1x Fuel empty and landing 1 mile in front of an airport :smiley: (1 hour lost)
  • 1x flight into mountains, cause of chef barbecue responsive operations with friends :smiley: (30 min lost)
  • 1 ctd :confused: (1.5 hours lost)
  • then take a break of 8 hours ( i was tired and fed up)
  • start this morning with a big smile and well rested for the final leg to Dakar

https://simair.io/logbook/RIKAAR%20Ambnt

Third time i´m in this “art” of flight…heavy but very cool!

Thank to SeedyL and FactualGull for the funny and cool live stream and of course the organisation.

Looking straight forward for the next one.

Happy Landings

3 Likes

it´s crazy with those ctd´s…had one in western sahara set me back 1.5 hours! :confused:

2 Likes

https://simair.io/logbook/Gaudin/flight/31432

My first endurance race, and what an event it was - tough start, some autopilot troubles, but in the end managed all in one sitting. 4 fuel stops plus 1 touch-n-go at St Louis (just to be on the save side)

Started the sim 07.50 CET and never stopped or hit esc until Dakkar 19 hours later, and then waited for seedy and factual to finish their run, thanks for making this happen!

It was an absolute pleasure to fly along with all you mad crazy lovely people, what a bunch of legens!

After the race is before the race, looking forward to the next one!

4 Likes

Hi, Just want to say a massive thanks to SeedyL, FactualGull and anyone else who helped to organise the race. Had a fantastic time, a really good days flying. Good to see so much money raised for a very worthwhile charity.
So that you are aware that somewhere in the various apps there seems to be a problem, the flights aren’t always recorded accurately. I completed the rally at Dakar today but simair last location of my plane was somewhere in the sea. It had been working fine up to that point. I’m not worried about my results as I was just in it for the fun.
Thanks again for a lot of fun.

2 Likes

Hi @Taffy391,

Do you know what time you landed at Dakar? I would really rather not record your time as “DNF” when we know you completed the race, and since you’re not one of the top finishers, nobody has any doubts that you raced fairly. I don’t think anyone would object to logging your approximate completion time rather than an exact one in this case.

All,

I’ll try to get everyone’s times that have been submitted so far entered into the results spreadsheet over the next day or so. Congratulations to everyone who finished the race! To those who stopped because of tech issues or because you got tired and needed sleep or for any other reason, remember that you have until 2359Z on Wednesday, July 7 to finish the race! Obviously you’re no longer in contention to win, but trust me, you will feel much, much, much better about yourself if you keep at it and cross the finish line even with a time of 52 or 63 or 79 hours or whatever than if you give up now and have your race recorded as “DNF”. You can do it!

FactualGull and I will be hosting a race Closing Ceremonies and Awards Presentation on my Twitch channel on Thursday, July 8 at 8pm ET / 5pm PT / 0000Z. We will follow the ceremony with a group flight from Dakar (GOOY) to Saint Louis (GOSS) so we’ll all have a chance to see see what Senegal looks like in the daytime. :slight_smile: If you’re taking part in Thursday’s group flight, be sure to install the special edition Doctors Without Borders / Paris-Dakar Rally livery community member @Pizzamonster001 created as part of a fundraiser for this event! <3

Finally a HUGE THANKS ONCE AGAIN for all the donations to Doctors Without Borders. I initially set the fundraising goal at $2,500 and was legitimately worried I might have put it too high. The community shattered my expectations almost immediately, surpassing the $2,500 goal in under three hours. We then created a $5,000 stretch goal, and the community once again crushed it, passing that number in about nine hours. Our final stretch goal was $7,600, and we’re currently sitting at $7,761 raised for Doctors Without Borders as of this writing. We’ll be leaving the fundraising page open until Thursday’s Closing Ceremonies livestream, so there’s still time to contribute to this excellent cause if you haven’t yet done so!

11 Likes

That was my pleasure to be a small part of this! Thank you for doing a lot for this community!

5 Likes

I am not a fan of flight sims and this is only the second one I have owned, but this race was epic, really enjoyed it but still suffering from the 17+hrs of flight time, it killed me, but, I will be taking part in the remaining events in the series, so pleased swoop spent 2 months talking me into it lol, bless him, he is a t**t really lol.

Massive thank you to Seedy and factual and anyone else who spent time organizing the event and BlueYonder for the moral support on this stream through the entire flight. Nearly gave up 20mims in when I realised I took off with 50% fuel but I pushed through and was 4th to land I believe. Can’t wait for the results to go up.

Thanks again all. Epic event.

6 Likes

https ://simair.io/ logbook/Cptclock87/flight/31697

1 Like

Err according to my monitoring of the race, the top 4 was:
1- comiccrazy
2- jeffcatnl
3- InTheBlueYonder
4- me :slight_smile:

I did a screen capture after landing that showed :

• captarash in 5th with 49nm to go
  • La Mario in 6th with 58nm to go.

I logged off shortly after that, so unless something extremely painful happened to captarash, you might have finished 6th.

Remember that the gorace Leaderboard is a great tool to show how far everyone is as long as no one has finished the race; after that it’s not a reliable reference anymore for finishers because :

• if someone lands then parks more than 1nm from the airport “center”, then he disappears from the list of “0 nm” pilots (not sure about Dakar but it happened a lot at the Australia race, Sydney airport is huge).
  • if someone, after finishing the race, takes off again to watch other people land (I saw one top #3 finisher do it), he also disappears from the list of “0 nm” pilots at the top.
  • not sure what happens to people that log off (I did 10 mins after landing, I was dead tired), but I would not be surprised if they also disappeared from the Leaderboard.

So congratulations for a great result, especially if you’re quite new to flight sims, and let’s better wait for SeedyL for final results. :slight_smile:

Hi,
Thanks, my time of parking at Dakar was Sunday at 15:30UTC.

Thanks again for a fantastic race.

2 Likes

GOD it seems captarash had a CTD on final approach … La Mario, you might be 5th. I can’t imagine how it must feel to crash at this point … :scream:

https://twitter.com/CaptArash/status/1411747944131407874

eventTime: 2021-07-04T00:11:52.674Z

https://simair.io/logbook/SnowierJoker

Thank you SeedyL and FactualGull for another fun race. Looking forward to the next one.

2 Likes

eventTime: 2021-07-05 T13:11:36.835Z

2 Likes

All completion times that have been submitted so far should now be reflected in the Results Spreadsheet. If you have finished the race, please confirm your completion time in the spreadsheet is correct. If I accidentally forgot to enter your time or if you believe there is an error, please let me know. Reminder that you still have until 2359Z on Wednesday to finish the race and submit your time if you have not yet done so.

1 Like

Yeah I believe he CTD 5nm out. And Jeff doesn’t count. So you were 3rd to land legally and I was 4th.

Also, regarding the Jeff situation. I know I haven’t commented on this publicly, but I’ve been very carefully reviewing the evidence presented in this thread and have talked privately to not only Jeff but a few other trusted community members. Here is the Official Race Marshall Ruling™:

1. It is clear that Jeff’s DA40NG was flying with performance beyond the capabilities of the stock MS/Asobo plane.
  2. Jeff has previously used a modified version of the DA40 when flying on his own. He claims that he uninstalled and re-installed MSFS prior to the race so he could have a “clean” install, but this does not empty your Community folder or uninstall your mods.
  3. It is unknown whether Jeff raced with the modded plane as a deliberate way to cheat or if this was an accidental innocent mistake by forgetting to uninstall the mod.
  4. Since this is a fun event FOR CHARITY, I want to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume everyone participating has the best intentions. Surely nobody would risk their reputation within the community just for a better chance of winning an Orbx Paris scenery pack, right?
  5. On his own volition, Jeff volunteered to re-start the race from Paris (his flight is currently underway as of this writing). He understands that his race timer still begins two days ago at 06:00Z on July 3, so his completion time for the event will likely put him at or near last place. This will almost certainly take him out of the running from being the overall Grand Champion for the 2021 Endurance Race Series.
6 Likes

There’s a mistake. @Hypertxthero actually had the following parked time in Dakar. He posted the time when he left the sim or quit monitoring the game. His screenshot actually shows he’s been parked for a while. I also know cause I tried to catch him in flight but finished 10 minutes after him. I also saw that on his twitch. Sets me back a spot but gotta admit when you get beaten fair and square :wink:

eventTime: 2021-07-03T23:48:42.001Z

3 Likes