Pauses stopped after disabling Windows 10 HAGs

So. When flying into scenery intensive airports like KLAX, KIAH, KMIA, ect. after longer flights I have been having the dreaded pause-start-pause-start stutters on approaches and all the way to the gate/parking areas. Even though I had turned it off awhile back I discovered that the Windows 10 Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling was turned on again. I had recently updated Windows 10 and my Nvidia drivers to the latest version. Looks like the OS turned the HAGs on again. So I turned it off. After doing this my pauses finally stopped! Yes the FPS drop to around 25 fps at times for me in these areas. But the sim is smooth. Even though I can get 38-45FPS on average with everything maxed to ultra in 4K with HDR-10 on, I prefer to limit the max FPS to 30 on my system anyways. Keeps everything smooth and fluid. Also, reports GPU limited and not CPU limited by doing this. Much better for me.

Hope this information helps someone with similar system specs to mine.

My system specs:

• CyberPowerPC FURION Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ front/Top & Both Side Tempered Glass + 6X Dual Light Loop 120mm RGB Fans & Controller

• CPU: Intel® Core™ Processor i9-10980XE Eighteen-Core 3.0GHz (Turbo 4.8GHz) 24.75MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2066 (Quad Channels)

• CS_FAN: 6X 120mm APEVIA 120mm Addressable RGB 1200RPM Fans w/ Hub + Remote Controller

• FAN: CyberPowerPC DEEPCOOL Castle 120EX ARGB 120mm AIO Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ Copper Cold Plate (Single Standard 120MM Fan)

• HDD: 512GB ADATA XPG ASX6000LNP PCIe NVMe + 3TB SATA III Hard Drive Combo [+102] (Combo Drive)

• HDD2: 1TB WD Blue Series SATA-III 6 GB/s SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 545/525 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 100/80k [+6] (Single Drive)

• MEMORY: 32GB (8GBx4) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel Memory (ADATA XPG Z1)

• MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX w/ RGB, Digital LED Support, USB 3.1, 5 PCIe x16, 8 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCIe [Intel Optane Ready]

• POWERSUPPLY: 1,000 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Gold Power Supply

• SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

• VIDEO: MSI GEFORCE RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO 10GB GDDR6X

• VIZIO 40" 4K Class V-Series HDR 10 with Dolby Vision Smart TV V405-H model

• Cable Creation DP to HDMI M Cable (4K/60Hz+HDR) (To get full 4K)

• 3 HAIWAY 10.5" mini monitors

• Honeycomb Flight Yoke, CH Throttle Quadrant (Waiting for my backordered Honeycomb), Saitek Rudder Pedals

That’s probably because of the MSFS hotfix patch that came yesterday.

1 Like

I reading this now second time… A question: in which way you install the nvidia drivers, with these DDU stuff ? The default in windows for HAGS is normaly OFF.

I just uninstall them using the windows Programs and features way. I never really have had any issues myself. Then I install the new driver.

thanks for info… I only would be sure that not some of these “not manufactor installers” ( not from nvidia in your case ) do strange things :slight_smile:

Hello,

sry to be maybe not familiar what HAGs are/is. Can you pls share infos where this feature need to be disabled/checked about value now?

Windows → Settings → System → Display → Graphics Settings ( bottom right ) → Hardware Accele… On/Off

If you enabled this windows feature you can get a positive erffect or you can run into trouble… I have it allways Off ( as the windows default setting is ).

Thank you,

what OS full version because I don’t have this feature under Graphics settings, only Choose the app for preferencies. Simply we need also write full OS version because then some chaos is expected…

it depends mainly on the graphics driver… which card you own ?

Example AMD cards: VCRUNTIME140.dll Error - #142 by MichaMMA

Sry,

I went to path as you gave me, nothing more. I don’t have that option in my Win10 Home x64. I think that card type doesn’t matter. It is only AMD type available? Then nothing, I got 1070Ti.

hmm… so far I remember it was introduced with… Windows 10 May 2020… ( Windows 10 2004 )

My example link was only to show that it depends on gpu driver versions. HAGS exists of course also for Nvidia and the 1070 :slight_smile:

EDIT: I found a ms devblog article which give a good summary : https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/hardware-accelerated-gpu-scheduling/

and I guess the nvidia driver support for HAGS started somewhat with >451.4x

Aaaaah ok,

no my case, I’m lucky after long tests with 445.87 version :slight_smile:

1 Like

and the main rule is : “never change a running system” :slight_smile:

1 Like