PC restart automatically

Recently I upgraded my PC from MSI gaming trio 2080 ti to Asus strix 3090. First two weeks I only had coil whine issue during starting any newer gpu intensive games but after 30 seconds later the noise would go down a lot. From last week my pc restarting automatically during MSFS and call of duty cold war, first it was one or two times a day but now it’s happening 3 to 5 times, my power consumption monitor shows my system’s power never exceeded more than my power supply max wattage capability. Yesterday I put back my old 2080 ti back in the system and never had a system restarts. Can someone please tell me what might be the problem. My system- I9 9900K @5ghz Corsair vengeance lpx 3200mhz 32 gb, Asus strix RTX 3090 , Samsung 970 pro m.2 nvme 1 tb and Seasonic PRIME 850W 80+Titanium

1 Like

Your power consumption monitor probably has too low a polling rate to see all the (really short) spikes. It’s most likely overcurrent protection kicking in.

850W should technically be enough, but maybe the unit is faulty.

The highest power drawn showed in the power consumption monitor was 687 watts and I don’t know if the psu is bad because my 2080ti never had this issue. Maybe really short spikes could cause restarts. Now if that the case is what should I get? 1000 or 1200 watts psu.

I upgraded from an RTX2080 to an RTX3090 and had a 850W psu so should have been enough. I had similar problems and after a lot of investigation found that MSFS causes a lot of power demand spikes on the psu causing it to trip the overload protection and reset. This is not a psu “fault” as the psu can support a continuous load at 850w but it’s the spikes that are the issue.
I replaced my psu with an 80Gold rated 1000w psu and it’s been rock solid ever since.
I often wonder whether some of the “MSFS crashes my PC” problems reported on the forum are psu related.

Software doesn’t cause ‘demand spikes’. MSFS sure is taxing on the system, but it’s the power delivery circuitry on the GPU and the VBIOS settings on the card that handle the power demand (and should smooth out the spikes). Can’t blame this one on MSFS :slight_smile:

Had this with a 2080 ti OC 10900k OC +650w PSU. I changed the PSU to a 1000w and never happened again. I changed the 2080ti to a rtx3090 and no problem with the 1000w psu.

Absolutely agree. Wasn’t trying to blame the software for using the max gpu resource. It’s the psu that can’t cope with what the gpu is throwing at it :grin:

I had a lot of reboot crashes starting with SU7 in VR with 3090 and 850W EVGA Gold power supply. As clear as it seems to be now that we need stronger PSU for msfs and a 3090 the incomprehensible it becomes that this never had happened before this updates. With the same hardware of course.

Now ordered an 1300W PSU, hope that fix it and let me some headroom for 4090 :pray: