PC - Sim Update 8 - Stutter with addons

For panning, in exterior view mode, do you use the mouse - or the End key and Ctrl+[Nbr] keys?

This is simple, better explained and part of the main problem.
I have had the same issues. to start with everything seems smooth, after 30 mins of flight if you move to external camera or try to move around the aircraft the sim just cant handle it. it also becomes unflyable in the cockpit (when you move the mouse around to generally look around the cockpit etc)

This is not long-lasting issue. I have never had these kind of issues before and it has only started happening around/after the last update.

4 Likes

Same. Since yesterday, after the update to SU8, I suffer from sudden drops in FPS, especially when landing or taking off and eventually during the flight. From a soft 36 it drops suddenly and for several seconds to 10 or 15 with the consequent tremor. VR

3 Likes

Strange. The sim got way smoother for me with NO signs now of stuttering at all now. FPS also went up by about 15 to 20 on average. I have every setting at ULTRA. Iā€™m using a MSI RTX 3080 gaming Trio card with the latest Nvidia drivers displaying to a 4K 40" Gaming TV.

I changed it here to ā€œdeveloperā€ mode. It seems to camouflage the stuttering problem on takeoff and landing. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Same for me, i am a PC user (laptop), and since de update 8, itā€™s seems that my gpu dosent work at 100 %, just to 15 %, very stutter, very low frame, before the update everything was working fine even in ultra, now, its impossible, i just wait for 5 or 10 minutos, open other games, open Nvidea panel, etc, even GPU-Z, in order to wake up the GPU, and then i can play. Just dont now exactly what i do, but seems fixed after 5 or 10 minutes. Maybe is on the 3 rd try to make a fly, dont know yet, but when is ready to start a fly you see all the time the icon in the right low just like it is updating something, but when the GPU start to work again at 100 % you see this icon only for few seconds and you can fly normally just before the update, and all the flyes after these, but when you close the game and open again ā€¦ guess what ? ā†’ ( i write the last thing just like a clue for someone can find a solution), whatever, is very Sad :frowning:

4 Likes

For me, itā€™s when Iā€™m in the cockpit and panning around. Iā€™ve set up my numbers pad, but since the update, Iā€™ve had difficulty when using the numbers.

1 Like

Itā€™s exactly my problem, as well.

I was having some stuttering until I completely turned off traffic. I have almost every popular mod. And gigs of scenery etc.

Now Iā€™m getting near butter 55fps.

I also deleted AIGā€™s addition to the community folder and turned off offline AI traffic.

I know it wonā€™t work for all but hope it helps some

1 Like

Could be an AI traffic thing, since they implemented departing traffic again. > more traffic.

I can confirm worse performance post SU8.

1 Like

Stutters are not eliminated by higher FPS. Check what your GPU and CPU loads are like (Iā€™m guessing you are likely CPU mainthread limited if you are seeing stutters).
Balance your CPU/GPU loads to remove mainthread limiting (this may need slight tweaking after every SU) then consider using a constant 30FPS/60Hz refresh rate locked inside the sim graphics options. Works wonders for me. SU8 running as smooth as anything. 30FPS feels like more when itā€™s this smooth. Smoothness should be the target with FS not FPS. The constant chase of high FPS figures to achieve smoothness is a total red herring with this sim.

1 Like

Yeh iā€™m aware that the stutters donā€™t go away with higher fps, and yes it is CPU mainthread limited. The most frustating thing is just how different it is to what it was about a week ago.
All of the sudden I just started getting stutters out of the blue, as I said in my first post it actually started a few days before SU 8 was released so I donā€™t even think itā€™s related.
Been racking my brain to figure out whatā€™s caused such a contrast in performance, and why all of the sudden things are no where near as smooth as they were. First time iā€™ve really had any issues with MSFS.

2 Likes

Whenever something adds too much to CPU load whether it be traffic (road, rail, aircraft & airport), weather, dense scenery, & especially high LODs, stutters will happen.
The trick is to balance the CPU/GPU load, so CPU mainthread isnā€™t limited.
TLOD/OLOD directly affects CPU.
Many other sliders affect just GPU load.
So. Reduce LODs & ai traffic density to reduce CPU load.
Keep GPU busier by increasing other graphical sliders. If all graphical sliders are high/ultra and GPU load still lowish, increase render scale a bit. When GPU is busier it isnā€™t sitting there constantly waiting for the CPU to deliver new data all the time (causing stutters)
If you balance this all at a scenery dense airport eg KJFK or EGLL, then performance should improve everywhere else in the sim.
Also (as previously mentioned)
Locking FS at 30FPS and setting monitor to 60Hz refresh rate for smoothness works very well for me too, but you have to do the CPU/GPU balancing bit first.
IMO just letting the sim decide where it wants to be itself especially with say 60FPS selected in options (leading to varying FPS in sim) , leads to stutters as CPU frequently ends up being unable to deliver what GPU needs. There isnā€™t a CPU/GPU combo on the market that can run FS at 60FPS steady, so why try to go there? Iā€™ve also read now in several places that 30FPS is where FS is designed to operate. Refresh rate is key too as 60Hz is 2x 30FPS. When you use other multiples or variable multiples, I think it can lead to syncing hunting around leading to lags and stutters too.
I am quite amazed at why here isnā€™t an official settings optimiser tool for FS.
The NVidia Experience one is not adequate. It recommends for me to set all my settings
to medium! when it runs just fine with most set to ultra on my system.

1 Like

IMHO it has to be something specific. It didnā€™t happen before SU8 and it happens to me right now whilest over the ocean.

Does this post have any relevance here:

I tried that. No difference. But thanks.

No stutter here but Iā€™m halfway through my 1st post SU8 flight in the FBW 320 from EKCH to OMDB. Both are add-on airports. Got up to cruise and tapped V to open the VFR map. It took maybe 5 seconds to open. Adjusted zoom then closed it. Reopened it 30 minutes later and it still takes a good 5 seconds to open plus (this is new behaviour since SU8) the zoom reverts to default rather than maintaining my preference. Isolines look awful - something that happened back in SU5 (maybe earlier).
With the delayed opening of the VFR map, I opened task management to check memory usage when tapping V and waiting for the map to open. Just as I suspected, memory draw was in the red (25Gb out of the 32 I have) until the map opens. Then memory usage drops significantly. Anyone remember SU5 ā€œknown issueā€ where opening the VFR map would cause an instant CTD? Well, whilst this isnā€™t a cigar, itā€™s close and I suspect weā€™ll be seeing more people with a VFR map issues, be it CTDā€™s or other.

1 Like

I only noticed unusual stutter during the initial take off roll with the FBW. Took off from HECA (default handcrafted airport). But other than that it was fine. I also had Navigraph Charts open on a second monitor, and Volanta open on a third monitor.

1 Like

i agree, but how do you tweak the loads on CPU/GPU in order to remove mainthread limiting. is it simply by limiting the FPS at between 30-60. could you please elaborate for me? tjanks

1 Like

To be clear - I have MS20 via Steam since last year and had no bad performance issues at all. After SU8 the camera quick views stutterered/vibrated unusably - when accessed by the keyboard Ctrl+[Nbrs]. My group buddies suggested the obvious answer that I should have thought of. I have now configured these views to the same settings on the joystickā€™s top hat that I use for the cockpit quick views. Now using the top hat for quick views I have no problem either from cockpit or in external views.

1 Like